Some Druid question.

ScarsOfTomorrow

Diabloii.Net Member
Some Druid question.

Ok, right now I'm just starting NM with my lvl 44 druid. I've been using Fissure pretty much as my main spell, and I'm beggining to notice quite a high damage increase per level with my fissure. As of now it deals about 400 damage. With this character right now I plan on using a nm act 2 HF merc, Fissure/Volcano, the bear, and hurricane, and I have a few questions.

1. Will Fissure or Volcano get enough damage to do any sort of killing in hell?
2. Same for Hurricane?
And last but not least
3. Being untwinked, my equipment isn't very good, so will this build fail due to not having good enough equipment?

corax

Diabloii.Net Member
1. yes. if you pump the synergies they will be more than enough for p1 hell, even untwinked.
2.no. hurricane would drag alot of synergies away from fissure/volcano meaning you'd do 3 weaker types of damage rather than two fairly useful ones(molten boulder and volcano are fire/physical)
3.not at all. just makes it more of a challenge.

check out Alterego's awesome fire/summoner guide. 5 stars!

Tasdaz

Diabloii.Net Member
I have just finished Act 1 Hell with my summoner/fire Druid. I am finding Fissure is more than capable of killing (currently Skill Level 23 with Skill level 18 in the Volcano Synergy). It is excellent for taking care of big packs of monsters that aren't fire immune. Haven't used Volcano as much yet, but from reading AE's guide it should be a good killing option too. Got to love being able to put a volcano up a monster's butt! Hopefully the killing power will continue through the later acts.

I don't use Hurricane much due to the lack of skill points in it and the lack of synergies. I do find it handy occasionaly to slow (very briefly) fire immune monsters and also to freeze and (hopefully) ice cube those pesky Fallen.

I have twinked my Druid somewhat, but I think he is more than capable without twinking. Get some items with +skills to get the fissure damage up and to beef up any summons you have.

Hope that helps some.

ScarsOfTomorrow

Diabloii.Net Member
Well thanks for the info guys. Luckily I only put one point in every prerequisite ( SP?) skill and one in Hurricane, so hopefully it won't make too much of an impact on my fissure/volcano damage. Hopefully sometime this week I'll have a thread reading " My first patriarch?" :lol:

ScarsOfTomorrow

Diabloii.Net Member
Oh and one more.. Would pumping Oak Sage be a good idea? I think mine is currently at lvl 5 with + skills ( Only +2 skills ). Should I just leave it at that?

Tasdaz

Diabloii.Net Member
ScarsOfTomorrow said:
Oh and one more.. Would pumping Oak Sage be a good idea? I think mine is currently at lvl 5 with + skills ( Only +2 skills ). Should I just leave it at that?
I think this is really a matter of personal preference and playing style. I use Heart Of The Wolverine and a Might Merc to beef up the summons and Mercs damage and AR and let them tank while I fissure away. Being fairly passive means I don't need the large life boost to survive as much but I may go more offensive with him later if I find better gear. I guess it's down to the choice of survival by large life or by killing things quicker. I quite like the sound of the later :thumbsup: . Either is good.

Feceset

Diabloii.Net Member
corax said:
2.no. hurricane would drag alot of synergies away from fissure/volcano meaning you'd do 3 weaker types of damage rather than two fairly useful ones(molten boulder and volcano are fire/physical)
Does the fire/physical split 50/50, or what?

Tasdaz

Diabloii.Net Member
Feceset said:
Does the fire/physical split 50/50, or what?
According to Garbad_The_Weak's excellent Fire Elemental Druid guide the damage for Volcano is (as an example):

"Level 25:

387 to 394 Physical Damage
661 to 672 Fire Damage

100 frame cast delay (4 seconds)
25 mana per cast fixed"

So that's roughly 33% Physical, 67% Fire damage.

Molten Boulder damage is:

Level 25:

567 to 657 Physical Damage
557 to 569 Average Fire Damage Per Second
491 to 569 Fire Damage

So more physical damage with Molten Boulder (around 55%) and less fire damage (45%).

The guide is here.