Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Some character ideas, feedback appreciated

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by Zarhrezz, Mar 21, 2004.

1. Zarhrezz

Zarhrezz IncGamers Member

Some character ideas, feedback appreciated

Well, Brighid isn't quite Matriarch yet, but I have no doubt that she'll pull off finishing Hell at players 8 (with maybe the only exception the Ancients)...so I'm pondering what to do next. Three ideas are under consideration:

Azurewrath/Stormshield/GA/Thundergod's Talonsin: Obvious benefits: 90% resist all, 50% PDR, 75% block at 3 frames, 7/2/2/2/2 Talon with high cold and magic damage end-game. Would be a stronger tank than Matriarch Angel (C/C GA/TG Talonsin) even though Angel could block elemental attacks and would have a faster kickspeed and alot more elemental damage. Pretty much a powerhouse that could run most anything.

Holy Freeze Paladin: Max Holy Freeze, max Salvation, max Resist Cold, 10-ish Holy Shield, Zeal with +skills as main attack, Vengeance for PI/CI, 10 Resist Fire to get 95/95/95/90 resists with a 75% block at 1 frame. Probably use an upgraded Generals Tan Do Liga (yum) to add 50% slow to the slowing by Holy Freeze...Perhaps go after 4 Cold Facets to put into gear and see things move really slow and die slowly to the area damage. Probably far from effective, but should be able to freeze hell over.

Diablo's little brother...Firestorm Druid: Max synergized Firestorm deals around 1k fire damage per second before +skills. 2-3k fire damage should be possible. Otherwise no idea what to do with the build...I've never played any druid other than werewolves, but I kinda like the looks of Firestorm. Could this be turned into something playable?

Thoughts, comments, ideas?

2. Kaysaar

Kaysaar IncGamers Member

I like the idea of the Azurewrath sin.

The only problem that I think you'd encounter with you holy freeze pally is the cold immunes. I know you say you'd have conviction, but since you'll be losing a TON of damage when you switch off holy freeze, you might want to consider slappin' a few points into fanaticism. Otherwise, at least from my experience, you'll be high and dry when you hit CIs.

3. motormaniac5

motormaniac5 IncGamers Member

i am no expert on firestorm, but from my experiences, you need to be REALLY close to the monster, almost melee range, to get any good damage from it. The Fire duration is the sux, but it does do decent damage per second, and it has a considerably low timer on it... much lower than other druid spells. so it is almost spamable. you will need summons/other spells if you wish to take him into hell, loads of fire immunes in hell.

That said, if you don't have high defense, max block, good resists, and considerable amount of +skills, i don't see firestorm druid as being very good.

4. motormaniac5

motormaniac5 IncGamers Member

Don't let my comments make you not try one though, you should always try the unusual build, i myself am trying a leap attack barb atm, on the realms so i can make fun of people when i hit twice or three times as hard as them... hehe

5. steelsixtyIV

steelsixtyIV IncGamers Member

AE is having good luck with his Druid and he maxed volcano. Firestorm has a low to hit % unless you are right on top of the monster. A HF merc might solve that problem.

HF pallys are pretty tough unless you have the right equip. I am playing an Avenger on the ladder with max Conviction. I haven't seen many HF pallys but agree with everybody else aboout the CI problem.

Your sassy's equipment has some pretty high str requirements and to max block with Stormshield you will need a lot of dex too. That doesn't leave too much left over for vit which could cause problems in the begining. TS/DT is a solid meele build with any equipment set-up but consider adding some poison to your attack with venom.

6. Zarhrezz

Required dex for level 85 max block would be 154. Equipment will give +31 dex/+63 str. I'll put dex at 136 though, to be able to always wield Azurewrath. Dex 167 means max block up to level 93. I'll probably go with 156 str to be able to equip all gear except upgraded Gore Rider (needs 208 str).
    This adds up to 61 levels worth of stat points. Aiming for level 85 means 33 levels*5 + 15 (quest) + 33 (equipment) = +213 vitality for a total 233 vitality at level 85. This translates to 809 life before charms at level 85. Indeed on the low side, but with 75% block, 50% PDR, 90% resist all it should be sufficient. The build would not be using Tiger Strike and Dragon Tail but Dragon Talon. Venom will be 20 before skill bonuses.

7. wildjinn

wildjinn IncGamers Member

You've already done a Talonsin, I'd much rather do a shockadin than a HF'din, so I'd say go with an elemental druid. They're super rare and could probably be fun. If you start out and hate it, you can always make a fireclaw bear. A Windmaster would be slick, too. If you want to MP for any part of it, let me know. I'm going to be starting a polebarb and some 'zons pretty soon, so it might be fun. :)

8. strijdje

strijdje IncGamers Member

go with the fire druid build, i think you need a break from melee chars and besides

druids rock :) i pure elemental druid is very cool to play with, tremendous power and cause of the limit attack "forms"(fire element and your merc//bear) it is kinda difficult too ^^

good luck whatever road you may choose

robin

9. Zarhrezz

Say I go with Firestorm with maxed synergies (60 points), what other skills would you recommend and what gear is desirable? Haven't played a druid since 1.09 and those are all werewolves and 1 werebear =)

10. strijdje

strijdje IncGamers Member

max fire skills, choose a cool summon, wolves or bear and invest some in the life spirit, looks like a winnner :thumbsup:

youmight want to check out the druid forum for a guide on this build, or pm alter ego about it :lol:

good luck!

edit: here

11. jiansonz

jiansonz IncGamers Member

I can´t comment on the assassin since I don´t understand some abbreviations and the only of the items I´ve seen is Thundergod´s (I prefer to stay ignorant about stats on items I haven´t seen). What would be the main skill to use with the sword?

The paladin looks really cool and that weapon you mention should suit him well. There are several merc choices that would work: rogue, barbarian or a Desert Guard with another aura. Avoid using Zeal in areas with Oblivion Knights (but you knew that already, right?). I don´t know what the Cold Facets do, so I can´t comment on that part.

The Druid: Way cool! (or hot, rather :lol: )
    I suggest a big Grizzly (to help with tanking and for damaging fire immune critters) and decent Cyclone Armor and Oak Sage. I would prefer a Might merc (aura will boost himself and the bear).

12. Zarhrezz

Dragon Talon. Azurewrath is one of the two elite phase blades, it offers very high magic and cold damage and is very fast (phase blades have the best base attack speed in the game, which goes nicely with Talon).

13. jiansonz

jiansonz IncGamers Member

But isn´t Dragon Talon a kick? Does that skill "use" the weapon in any way? I thought boots were more important for the kicking skills.

Sorry for being so dense...

(Sidenote: I don´t like that the classical Azurewrath Crystal Sword got removed from the game. In 1.09, it has helped more than one of my characters when they have found it in Act 2 Normal.)

14. Crazy Runner Guy

Crazy Runner Guy IncGamers Member

It uses the weapon only for speed (to determine kick speed) and to add +skills, OW/CB, LL, etc. Boots are the most important for kick damage. That is why even the most meagerly equipped ***'s can still get incredible damage with D'Tail/DTalon with a pair of white Myrmidon Greaves. Check out some of the stickied threads in the assy forum, especially the "Kicking basics" by jrichard (the assy guru).

crg

15. Fafner

Fafner IncGamers Member

With the sin, you could go PS/synergy +D-talon. The phase blade is very fast, In fact with my sin I hardly seem to use my claws now that I have my 4xEth,2xShael blade. That thing never misses and it's fast. Saves my butt in a pinch, my Dtail damage has dropped to 12-19K, but that's life.

I'd go with the Fire druid since you haven't played one. I'll eventually hit that whole class (I plan like 5 characters there, I'm saving up stuff like crazy).

16. Zarhrezz

Well, I did PS with my C/C sin, so I won't do so this time. I think I'll do the Taloner first, seeing as I have the Azure and it's kinda collecting dust, which is a shame really. Same for the Stormshield :whistle:
    The druid is definitely interesting, but I'm severely lacking equipment for a caster druid...so I guess I'll do the sin first and run Countess with her to get some runes again, so I can trade up to HotO. I guess meanwhile Coldkill (Orb Energy Shield variation) can run Mephisto for some more trading material.

17. Fafner

Fafner IncGamers Member

If you're going with the sin, might I suggest C-beat's hybrid guide. With Azurewrath and some CB you'll be unstoppable, maybe even a really good MF'er too, especially in non-LI situations (Baal + Minions anyone). You can do some outstanding trap damage with a couple +3 traps claws and +2 assassin headgear and amulet (Seraph's hymn, Mara's, Harly as well).

18. Bull(R)

Bull(R) IncGamers Member

For your elemental druid... after maxing the elemental synergies I would suggest MAXING Oak sage (the life one..) because you always get 5% more life per level, and lets face it more life is always better than less :lol:

Also after you add some into sage (if you dont wan't to max its up to you) I would heavily suggest a bear because it is a tank for whenever you need to hide or sit further back at any point (it has 975 life, but with a level 20 Oak Sage has about 2200 life). He can also help the most out of all the summons versus FIs

19. i_marsolek

i_marsolek IncGamers Member

Just off of the top of my head I was thinking of making use of some of the runewords and items Blizzard has given us. I don't know how rich you are but how about using the unique Barb helm with the lycanthropy stuff on it. Max BO, and maybe make a singer/summoner hybrid. I really liked war cry. Or else try using the runeword with the CE charges on it with a Druid and make a Skellymancer wannabe. You could add metalgrid and any other summon charged items and create some sort of hybrid. Just some ideas that weren't completely thought out, but interesting for me to ponder.