Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Some AT MF questions

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by Cius, May 12, 2008.

1. Cius

Cius IncGamers Member

Some AT MF questions

Well, last night I ended another project I was busy with and started playing D2 again. When I ended off my last D2 session 2 months back I had my meteorb sorc for running mephisto and NM andy at level 82, and had my new blizzard sorc at level 72. The blizzard sorc was stationed at the beginning of act 4. I decided to try my first AT runs with her to level her a bit as her level 71 merc was dieing way to often when trying to finish off cold immunes for me. I have never run a lvl 85 area before specifically so I also wanted to see what was available and how it all worked. From there it did not go great. Merc died so often I stopped resurrecting him and just used blizzard on everything. I could kill at decent speeds on players 8 and level but set/unique items where sparse. In 10 runs I found one set item and no uniques running with about 150% MF. I am poor item wise (recently restarted) so upping that while remaining alive is tough. So some questions:

What MF should I aim for if doing AT runs?
    How many sets uniques should one expect per 10 pit runs on average?
    I could not find an AT guide with the search, is there one?
    What constitutes a good AT map?
    How do people actually run AT in terms of gear, technique, way points etc?
    How long should it be taking me?
    What is the view on killing boss packs only versus full clears?

I'm thinking I should perhaps just stick to it for the experience till I hit level 85 or so and then finish up to Anya at least as my resists suck. Every time I am sloppy and get poisoned or hit by a sparkle from the lightning skeletons its a near fatal experience. I am using lots of potions etc. Other comments I read seemed to say that you should rather run mephisto till you are relatively rich and only then switch to AT. Then you could get things like Shako, Talls armour/belt, occy, etc. Right now I have very little of my desired equipment but figured that seeing as my long term goal was a self found grail I might as well start running AT or something as I would find everything there while getting the TC87's.

Anyways, feeling a bit despondent about the returns for time invested right now. Any advice would be welcome! Even if it is to switch to a new char/MF strategy entirely.

2. corax

corax IncGamers Member

Re: Some AT MF questions

The simplest answer is: if you are ''poor' item wise then meph will have a much higher run/item rate than the pits. Lvl 85 areas are more for the chance to find those few uber rare items than for mass loot.:thumbsup:

3. NeoKnuckles

NeoKnuckles IncGamers Member

Since you're having trouble area running, definitely go for one of the boss targets first (Meph/Pindle/whatever). As you find enough items so that you can do L85 areas easily, that's when you switch over. It might only take a nice armor for your merc for this to happen.

Everyone will give you a different answer. Around 200 is good enough for a lot of people. For the easier runs like AT or pindle, some people sport high mf (more than 500) just becuase they can do it without sacrificing run speed.

150 isn't TOO low, I just feel that you should try to bring it a bit higher

I don't really know, but it might not be as plentiful as you'd want it to be.

What constitutes a good AT map?

If you don't spend any time retracing your steps or going to areas you've already cleared, that's a good AT map.

How do people actually run AT in terms of gear, technique, way points etc?

I'm not sure what technique means, but gear is basically as much mf as you can without sacrificing kill speed (as with any mf target), way points would be lost city (a trap door on the ground), and I'm not so sure about technique

The view is that killing boss packs only is much better for mf. I personally do full clears (near full clears, I don't always go to every corner of the map), but I'm pretty slow

4. Cius

Cius IncGamers Member

Thanks for the responses so far! Looking at it I think I will perhaps use her to run Mephy and Andy for a bit in Hell until I can find at least some better gear like wartravs, shako, and some tals gear perhaps. Occy would be awesome as well. Typically though I will not find those seeing as they are the ones I am looking for! I was lucky enough to find a SoJ with my first MF char running NM andy so perhaps I could double up to help my minimal mana as well. Mara's and Tals ammy are also definite possibilities with running those two. I figure that running an 85 area would only be fun if I could switch it up a bit so I will find what I can off the easier targets first and then perhaps try AT once its more feasibly. Anyways it still seems a great place to get fast levels for chars in the 70's so I will stick it out till I get to at least level 82 or so (Fully synergised Blizzard).

As to techniques the specific questions I could add there are where do people end? Running mephy I would always run through the portal to start in act 4 near the waypoint. Do people do something similar for AT as its a long run across town and I only have 20% FRW. Also smaller targets seem to escape blizzard a lot and home in on me. How do people kill targets that are too small for blizzard to hit reliably? I find myself using glacial spike for some added safety and killing those annoying slivered monsters that just won't get hit by blizz.

Lastly I thought that AT had more than one level, yet my map only has one. Is this correct? I seem to have about 5-6 boss packs on my current map with 3 of them at least spawning on the same spot each time.

Edit: Thought I would add my current gear for those interrested:

Frostburn gloves: Needed for mana
    Ring one: 29MF nagel
    Ring two: SoJ best item by far
    ammy: Rare with +1 sorc skills
    Belt: Tried goldwrap and now string of ears I think. Have an arachnids for level 80
    boots: Rares with 20% FRW and dual resists
    armour: Was on 4 Ptopaz armour but resists where killing me. Now Skin of Serpent mage with 24 resist all
    Shield: Viscreant
    Helmet: Had tarnhelm, now trying Sazabi's mental sheath for +1 skill and dual resists.
    Weapon: Suicide branch for Fast cast
    Switch weapon: blade of ali baba
    switch shield: Rhyme

Merc has lame gear I think. Considering hunting for a decent weapon for insight for him as I constantly need blue pots. Have an eth duriels I think lying around (possibly on him) and I seem to recall finding a shaftstop in the mephthon. Would need to check my mephthon stash to check though.

Last edited: May 12, 2008
  5. Hrus

Hrus IncGamers Member

what gear do you have and what gear does your merc have? He shouldn't die too much in AT if you have decent gear.

For AT, aim for 300-600 MF, but don't sacrifice the killing speed and also have your resistances high enough to not die from FE/CE/LE bosses.

In my experience, you will get 1 elite set/unique item per 15 runs with ~500 MF (Note that with around 250, it wouldn't be so much different because of dimnishing MF)

Good map is with AT entrance 1 Teleport away from Lost City waypoint.

With Blizzsorc, you just teleport through kill only bosspacks. Use Blizzard to kill them, GS to slow them and IB to finish them. You can reposition your merc with teleport if he has troubles tanking them. Learn where the bosspacks usually spawn and find some routine way through AT.

In terms of items, you need 65 FCR, ~50+ elemental resistances, a lot of +skills and MF. Some FRW, is good too for cuttin travel time in town, unless you choose to talk to warriv and go there through Act1.

1:30 is the time to aim for.

Do only bosspacks. At P1.

EDIT: yes, AT has only 1 level. Density seems to be right, there should be 6 bosspacks at minimum, but...

6. bassano

bassano IncGamers Member

I think that 300+ MF is quite good beacuse then is no very difference between 300 and 400. Try to balance your killing speed with MF :smiley:

I think that about 1 item for 10 runs but 10 run is few for find somethink beacuse on 10 runs you can drop 4 uniques and you can drop nothing too.

if you are able to do it try to kill only bosspacks as fast as possible beacuse 95% TC87 whitch I found are from bosses (once I found earth shifter from regular monster)

If you do not have basic items better is running meph for you beacuse AT is good for TC87 but not for basc items beacuse I found in AT 2 DW,mangs,asterons whitch are very rare but no shako no thundergods,... whitch are very usefull.

But for leveling your lvl72 blizzsorc AT is the best choice I think beacuse on P8 one AT run give you more than half lvl when you are 72 but with my FO and enchant/FO sorcs I had problems during leveling in AT beacuse merc is too poor for survive there on lvl71 with CTA too but from lvl80 it will be easier :smiley:

If you want you can see one of my AT runs here as guide :smiley:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wfLKNY9LQ_c

But nice to see new AT runner here :grin:

7. Cius

Cius IncGamers Member

Thanks guys. I will watch the video for sure at home. The site is blocked here at work. Getting a much better picture now of where AT sits in the MF chain. It seems the only reason to do AT (or another early lvl85 area) is to get TC87's. I was under the impression that in the time it took you to find all the TC87's every other item in the game would probably drop anyways there so why start running meph when each item you get from him will probably drop again while you try to get those elusive TC87's. Hence I figured I would build a runner that could do AT and perhaps pindle to complete the grail, and not even bother with lots of meph.

It seems that this is not efficient though as while everything can drop in AT most would drop far faster to Mephisto or Andy. Thus for getting useful equipment to equip the runners doing some mephy/andy and even pindle for something like IKSC would be faster.

So for now I will use AT for experience till I can quest to Act5 (anya quest) and then will focus on getting my decent runner equipment off of Mephisto, Andarial, and pindle just cause he is fast to add to running those two. Once I have a reasonable runner I will shift to doing AT or pits depending on what equipment falls. If I can build a godly strafer Pits might be better. I'll have to vary it anyways as I have little stamina for endless runs that are the exact same. I'd probably build interesting builds in the interim or join tourneys etc in between MF binges.

8. Jaedhann

Jaedhann IncGamers Member

About the merc, he will stop getting wtfpwned at about level 82 or so. Before that hard hitting monsters will slap him around to easy. All he needs is some decent damage with lifeleech, and preferably max lightning resistance.

And do run the AT on P1 and bosses only if you want to MF, it has the best time/drop ratio.

9. Ugla

Ugla IncGamers Member

Indeed, you can significantly boost both your MF and killing speed in a very short time by running Meph. I would not bother with Pindle at all if you count on running AT.

I guess you meant the Tal's plate - a sorc might have a hard time trying to equip sacred armors :rolleyes:

@Jaedhann: It's been a while since my last visit in AT, but that place always seemed to be full of undead (except for those assailant-type creatures), thus leech will be of little use down there :wink3:

10. Jaedhann

Merc can leech from undead, just not from skeletons, but they don't hurt if he has full light resist.

11. Noodle

Noodle Moderator

While the majority of the posters here will advise you to speed through, and only hit boss packs, I prefer full clears. A few years ago I found a Vex from an urn in the Tunnel, and make sure I check everything since then.

My general rule of thumb is to sacrifice speed for a playstyle I enjoy - I've found that having fun means I'm more likely to play more often / longer sessions, which translates into more items per day (although probably fewer per minute.) Does that make sense?

Best of luck to you, in any event. :thumbsup:

- Noodle

12. o1d_dude

o1d_dude IncGamers Member

Same here, Noodle.

My lvl 95 Blizzy runs about 500 percent MF and does the AT on players 8 for the XP. Occasionally Mr. Merc gets mobbed and requires the odd purple to keep him going but all in all, it's a pretty safe run. I've never timed the runs but they are surely in the 5 minute range if not longer.

Because repetitive playing wears on me after a bit, I like going with a more full-fledged playing experience. I'm just finishing up 10k Pindle project with this character so I rather welcome the extended plays. Lately I'm spending most of play time either in the AT or LK.

13. Peppe

Peppe IncGamers Member

I would quest up to get the anya's portal and run pindle to level.

It will be easier on your merc than AT. I find they mostly need more levels and decent equipment to survive better in hell. Using blizz on pindle can get you to 90+ before too long and you can scale the players setting to meet your damage output.

I'd abort on the random cold immune spawn until your merc gets good enough gear to kill him quickly or if you are stubborn use telekensis to stunlock pindle and your merc should eventually kill him. Cold Immune + Lightning enchanted pindle isn't worth the effort at most player settings.

14. Nightswipe

Nightswipe IncGamers Member

Here's my input, a meteorb sorc is NOT good for running pits. Maybe a fireball/orb would do.
    Other than that I would say that I personally prefer a hybrid amazon(lgt fury/freezing arrow) lgt fury with pierce is awesome cuz the only light immunes are dark archers.

blizz is for pindle, he does drop more uniques and set items than pitrunning(I used to love pits but have moved to pindle)

I have however managed to find azurewrath and arachnid mesh(3 times)...

15. Cius

Cius IncGamers Member

Arachnids mesh does not seem that rare as I have found it twice since my restart off Mephisto?? Perhaps its just luck. Never seen Azurewrath though. Well I leveled to about 80 in AT and then got bored and ran up to the waypoint before diablo. HF drop was Lem I think. I have hit the Hell HF almost 15 times and have yet to see a Gul. I think I will keep questing along until I can reach Pindle and then stop and do serious MF/leveling again. Not even sure if I want to bother with Baal as this character is mainly a MF char designed for pindle, Mephy, and AT. I guess I can worry about that later. Found a lightning facet out of the sparkly chest in the AT last night with another lame unique (forget what it was). Also a spill of low level sets fell over 4 runs so the results look a bit better despite me not finding anything really useful.

I treat Pindle as a spare AT boss, hence I thought running him and AT in the same game would be cool but it might not be that efficient. Anyways, like Noddle and O1d_dude said, its more about keeping interested. For that I need variation which means running multiple bosses and areas in one game.

16. Thyiad

Thyiad Moderator Single Player, D2 Assassin, Barbarian

I'm doing the Pentathon with a sorceress that has 116% MF. I MF'd the moron for Pindle but frankly he isn't killing much.

From 10 hours on Memphy I found over 50 Elite Sets and Uniques and another 100 Exceptional ones. You can see my top five scorers in the thread. That included four Harlies.

So speed > MF. It's pointless running 600 MF if your dude dies and so do you.

I've always found Memphy MUCH easier than the Pits. But I find Pindle easier than Thresh so ...

If you are looking to generally increase wealth, I would say 1) play the game and 2) Memphy. When you want to grail Baal, Pits and Pindle. Good stuff turns up in odd places more often than not IMO. My first Tals Guardianship I found trundling through Act 3 with my Fishy - and everyone will tell you I *always* rush Act 3, never play through.

Mungo's cham was random leaper in LK.

Enjoy.

And what is your dude wearing?

17. Cius

Cius IncGamers Member

59 seconds!! Wow. That was just insane to watch. I have a long way to go before I reach that level. Anyway I decided to check how good my mephisto map was as I like this AT map and it seems really good. I now do mephisto and AT in one run and it helps keep the interest up as you at least find good stuff more often off Mephisto. You certainly don't see drops like this in AT:

http://img293.imageshack.us/my.php?image=whyilovemephistoiy8.jpg

The AT map has one path that gives me 5 boss packs and has a sparkly chest at the end.

As to my current setup Thyiad:
    Skin of vipermagi 24 res all
    Viscerataunt socketed PDiamond
    Wizard Spike
    Sazabi's mental sheeth (18 FR 20 LR)
    Tal Rasha's belt
    Frostburn gloves
    Waterwalks
    SoJ

Raven Torc
    Amulet
    Required Level: 27
    Item Version: 1.10+ Expansion
    Item Level: 73
    Fingerprint: 0xe7e538e4
    +4 to Energy
    Fire Resist +22%
    Lightning Resist +13%
    Replenish Life +9
    +1 to Sorceress Skill Levels

Bitter Touch
    Ring
    Required Level: 37
    Item Level: 51
    Fingerprint: 0xa20377c6
    +4 to Dexterity
    +49 to Mana
    All Resistances +6
    10% Faster Cast Rate
    Half Freeze Duration

Blade of ali baba and Rhyme on switch for killing meph.

Changed the whole setup to get wizardspike on. Not worried about resists any more and my mana is way better. I'm tempted to try my 4 Ptopazed armour again as I don't need the resists from skin of the vipermagi as much now.

My wish list right now for items is:
    Mara's
    Tals plate
    Occy
    war travs
    Tals ammy
    Any decent merc stick. Eth Kelpie is not cutting it for what I use him
    Raven frost would be nice.

Which reminds me, merc is wearing:
    Crown of theives
    Eth Kelpie Fuscina
    Duriels Shell

I just found a stash I had missed, its the qualifiers from the mephthon. I kept them separate and forgot about them. Some decent items I forgot about in there! I see I have boneshade and I have been thinking of doing a bone necro.

Something else interesting I found in the mephthon stash was this:
    Imp Shell
    Circlet
    Defense: 53
    Durability: 23 of 35
    Required Level: 67
    Item Level: 87
    Fingerprint: 0x9b3701b
    +11 to Dexterity
    +73% Enhanced Defense
    +2 to Paladin Skill Levels
    20% Faster Cast Rate
    +3 to Mana After Each Kill

Is that good? I seem to recall seeing a Bnet trade for a 20FC 2 paladin skill circlet going for something insane.

18. bassano

bassano IncGamers Member

My best time is between 45 and 50 seconds but average time for run 60s I can keep during 10 hours without pauze but average time 50s is very hard keep for long time running :smiley:

19. Jaedhann

During my second MFO i had an average runtime of 53 seconds. Did around 3k runs in a week then i think. It's definately doable with a good character and a killer map.

20. Cius

Cius IncGamers Member

Well I leveled my blizz sorc to level 83 yesterday doing mainly meph but throwing in the occasional AT and andy. Andy is a bit slower and more dangerous. Anyways, not bad returns. A spill of normal and exceptional set/uniques. Notables where chance gaurds, hand of Broc, Natures Peace, and Ondals Wisdom (+4 skills). Also found Tals mask for my merc going forward and 2 bonehews. What do people socket bonehew with if they want the merc to use it? I see that most people use it themselves with 2 hels socketed for the corpse explosion charges. That might get me through the chaos sanctuary.

Otherwise I reckon I will just keep at Mephy till I find a reapers/Ariocks needle or something else nice.