Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Some assassin help

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by chickenhed, May 29, 2005.

1. chickenhed

chickenhed IncGamers Member

Some assassin help

I am a little confused on how Dragon Tail works. Lets say I charge up 3 charges of a level 20 tiger strike (+1440% dmg). And then I release those charges with a level 20 dragon tail (+240% fire dmg). How does the final damage calculate? does dragon tail ADD 240% fire damage (thus ending in +1680% fire damage)?

Lastly does dragon tail convert ALL tiger strike damage to fire damage?

There doesnt seem to be much action on the assassin forums. which is why I posted this here :)

2. Sint Nikolaas

Sint Nikolaas IncGamers Member

Well, all ED modifiers add up. So if you have 1500 from one skill and 250 from another it will result in 1750.
    I'm not sure on the Fire damage, IIRC all physical damage is converted to fire damage, since TS only enhanced your physical damage you could say that it's all converted.
    If you combine both you should be able to get really decent damage. Something like 8k average with some myrmidon boots :)

3. Quickdeath

Quickdeath IncGamers Member

Sorry, Sint but your answer is wrong.

Tiger Strike and Dragon Tail combine in an unusual way -they combine multiplicatively, not additively.

Given three charges of a lvl 20 TS with +1440% damage and a +240% ED DT:

DT provides Area of Effect fire damage, which is 2.4 times the total TS damage or (2.4 x 1540%) = 3,696% of weapon physical damage.

In addition, DT provides direct physical damage to the struck monster equals to the charge-ups - in this case 1540% of physical damage.

It is this multiplicative combination of damage that makes TS/DT such a wonderful martial arts combination.

4. Nightfish

Nightfish IncGamers Member

Uh... really? Wow, I think now I'm looking forward to my DTail assassin. I smell another ribcracker... I always wanted 4k %ED with AOE on that... :D

5. DeathMaster

DeathMaster IncGamers Member

Are your sure about this? As far as I know, the way how DT works did not change in 1.10, only the kick damage calculation changed.

I was very dedicated sin player in 1.09 (played sin most), and I'm fairly sure DT convert 100% physical damage to fire, and carris no physical damage at all. I'm also fairly sure DT convert physical to fire based on "final physical damage" on target, that's why it does zero damage to PI, since Zeor multi by anything is still Zero. in 1.09, the trick to kill PI with DT is to target DT on a nearby none-PI. and in 1.09, you need something else to kill FI since the real final damage is 100% fire.

Unless 1.10 changed the way how DT works, it is very tricky to deal FI or PI with it.

6. lone_wolf

lone_wolf Diablo: IncGamers Member

a ts dtail sin is very powerful against non pi none FI monsters

with the right gear you can easily get +20k max damage

read the kicking basic document for more info

7. Sint Nikolaas

Sint Nikolaas IncGamers Member

Are you really sure QD? Since it's a kicking spell, so weapon dmg added sounds a bit off to me. But hey, if it's true you can achieve a load of damage....

EDIT: If you're right, does it also work if you switch weapons during all this stuff? IE: charge up with a hawkeye claw of speed and then switch to a cruel warpike when you kick a monster?

8. lone_wolf

lone_wolf Diablo: IncGamers Member

kicking skills do not use weapon ed atleast according to everything i know and everything jrichard and others have found out

btw there is no faster kicking speed then 7/3 for those that missed that update by jrichard

9. Quickdeath

Quickdeath IncGamers Member

Most of my answer was right but I made one minor mistake.

The multiplicative damage from the charge-ups is indeed correct. The TS chargeup damage will be multiplied by the DT damage enhancer as +ED%/100 (i.e. multiplied by 2.4 when the DT damage is 240%) and converted into a huge 'area of effect' fire damage.

However the damage given directly to the monster that is actually struck is both the 'area of effect' fire damage and the Boot Damage (not the weapon chargeup damage as I erroneously claimed.) I believe the boot damage is also converted to fire damage. Sorry for the confusion.

It is written up here: http://forums.diabloii.net/showthread.php?t=127905

By the way, here's an important point. When you kick a PI monster with DTail the kick has no effect -because there is no physical damage to convert. But when you strike a non-PI monster with a DT kick, any PI monsters within the area of effect will sustain the fire damage. Just don't kick a PI monster directly, kick a monster close-by instead. And if its FI, no big deal -just use a method other than a DTail kick to release the TS chargeups as physical damage.

I have a TS/Dtail assassin in Act 5 NM right now - she rocks.