Latest Diablo 3 News
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Some advice wanted

Discussion in 'Classic' started by morrie, Jun 2, 2005.

1. morrie

morrie Diabloii.Net Member

Some advice wanted

I have a lvl 58 frozen orb sorc in classic DII
    FO is 20, static is 10, warmth is 10, cold mastery is 10
    I got caned last night and need some advice (in nightmare)
    I meet a unique monster (fire beathing that hang with the imps in Act 3) that was cold immune and fire immune.
    Now I was thinking of using Firewall as my second offensive spell so of course I had nothing offensive apart from lightning. I have static at 8 so I tried that but couldn't get close enough without getting fried
    My resistance is around 20 although cold is still minus
    Should I continue with firewall?, switch to meteor?, or use both lightning and fire as secondary?
    Firewall didn't last long although it is still low...spent a couple of points + 3 additional from eq
    Happy to post stats, etc if that would help
    Thanks in advance

2. Pherdnut

Pherdnut Diabloii.Net Member

Try the classic forum.

3. Gorny

Gorny Banned

*moved to Classic Forum*

4. Locke07

Locke07 Diabloii.Net Member

Hmmm It is hard in classic to go duel elements I would just bear it out and play with a group. You are building a basic Orb/static sorc. They're good let them do what they can do. Hit hell andy to find some better items or Nightmare if you can't kill in hell. I would finish of maxing your Cold Mastery and then go with it. The only viable option, which would cause you to remake, is to make a meteor/orb sorc which maxes fire ball, meteor and fire mastery the rest of the points go into Ice orb and a few into cold mastery.

5. mhl12

mhl12 Diabloii.Net Member

Stick with cold/fire. You wont have enough skill pts with light/fire.

Another thing, I see that you've wasted some pts in your build. You only need one pt in warmth and static. Right now, I would suggest lvling your orb synergies. Don't go with firewall. Go with meteor instead. If you have a few spare pts, put some of them in fire mastery.

6. Fearlessone

Fearlessone Diabloii.Net Member

Here is a good way...

8 in static is a good lvl, the best sorc's go for at least 10 with some +skills. It's just hard to beat static for getting the hitpoints down. Then u can use one lousy point in thunderstorm (again, +skills) to try and make the kill on cold+fire immunes(t-storm auto targets). Firewall is good, but remember, its best for stationary monsters or ones that u can draw out in a line. Firewall used to be super before 1.10. With perhaps more resists and certainly several times more hp's nowadays, I see fireball as a secondary alot more. Meteor is good if u know where they are heading, or you just run around in a circle, forcing the monsters to do the same.

If ur resists are in the range from minus to +20, then u arent using either a Ward or easy to make 3-Diamond shield (+50-57% resists possible here). Either of these items is a lot easier to obtain that restructuring ur sorc cuz u happen to be without them. Even if u are using eyeless, dump it for a resist shield. Then, u will be able to use static without fear. Whats the point of having so much in static already and not using it? To make the kill with firewall, then u will have to stand next to monster, casting firewalls, taking damage and gulping on pots. With a little more in static, u can cast 1-2 times, run, recast, kill with t-storm or some fire skill.

Firewall doesnt increase in time with more points, just the length of the wall, which can go like 30 yards. I would have to agree here, that this is what parties are for: to kill what u cant kill. But it sounds as if u are determined to play alone and its possible here in classic to do so. I have a max orb sorc with 10 in cold mastery and with max firewall with 10 in fire mastery and its slower than it was 2 years ago to kill, but still effective. It just seems that fireball is more effective when I watch other sorc do it now, maybe a fireball sorc will answer this post....

Also, it sounds like u dont have a mana shield. Thats the overhead energy ball skill. It is very good for hell lvl if u are having a hard time surviving frequent damage. Problem with it is: until u get to a high enough lvl of mana either due to items or ur char lvl (each level bequeths u more base mana), this mana shield can wipe out all ur mana at once from a big damage boss. Then I would recommend using easy to obtain Nightsmoke belt for mana recovery from damage.

Edit: I disagree with mhl12 about static. You most certainly did not make a mistake dumping 8 points into it, u are making mistakes by not reconfiguring ur build to accomodate it, as pointed out. Lvl 10 warmth is a little high for clvl 58. But that is how much warmth my lvl 91 sorc has. She is a pre-1.10 sorc, before u could buy mana in town. My sorc is essentially tri-elemental, and her greatest damage ability is with hi-lvl static... This takes more than just dumping 10-11 points in static, u have to know how to use it, such as how far away to stand, and with a shard and other fcr items. Umm... I'm not an expert on warmth, its a convenience passive skill. Without battle orders, it seems to be very helpful. There is alot of disagreement about it - from one point to maxing(mentioned at the arreat site). U already have 10 in it, and thats a good level.

7. magnet

magnet Diabloii.Net Member

you should tell him about telekinesis.

8. Fearlessone

Mr. Pssst: "you should tell him about telekin"

Well, well, another USWest player, now who could u possibly be...? Now why don't u be the one to tell him...

I have NEVER used telekinesis before, what I know is from the Arreat Summit and what's been posted here before. It says it wont stun/knockback bosses. It's damage at lvl 1 is quite low, much lower than t-storm. at that lvl. So, it's useful for regular monsters. But to do effective damage against cold immunes? I wonder.... It just seems to me that reheal will wipe out any damage u are doing, and sorcies dont have poison damage. It would be nice if telekinesis had a poison component or that u could buy poison pots from the vendor.

But Blizzard seems to only give the poison pots to the Captain Cats in act2 desert. Throwing stuff has always been given short shrift in this game, particularly in classic, where we have yet to be given throwing rares.

9. magnet

magnet Diabloii.Net Member

telekinesis is desirable for the passive bonus it adds to energy shield. someone correct me if i'm wrong but i think without adding more points into TK every point of dmg absorbed by ES will draw 2 points of mana from your mana orb. with slvl 20 TK, every point of dmg absorbed draws only .75 of a point from mana orb [i think...lazy..you look it up]. and it only works with hard points invested in the skill...im sure you're already aware of how it works, david. i think you just like to screw around with me...

this is antii, by the way..

:cool:

10. Fearlessone

We learn from our mistakes. No I didnt know this, probably read it when 1.10 came out, but havent made a sorc since then. My sorc equips nightsmoke (50% damage to mana) belt and has tons of mana, and I know where the 'game exit' button is.

You are close enough to what the arreat summit says. Its actually listed under the energy shield skill descrip, and you got it almost right. I said that I never have used this skill, and wasnt lying. But 20 points to accomplish this? Whew! The poster has 20 orb, 10 mastery, secondary, mastery, and 10 in warmth, 10 in static, +prereq's. I wouldnt advise him to plunge into tk yet. Building a sorc is a stepwise trial-and-error process (but why err, thats why he posted here!). Put pts where u need them with an eye to a brighter future.

My sorc: Hmm...shard, frosties, 3pskull helm, hi mana rings with fcr+resists, fast boots, fhr armor and fhr belt or nightsmoke. That gives me 634 mana, and twice that with BO. Now if mana burned, it takes one second to regen mana for a tele, less if wearing nightsmoke, and less if u take a pot. My energy shield is at 8 pts. I'm sure she isnt perfect, but im happy.