Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Some advice on a Druid

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by Throndhart, Apr 15, 2008.

1. Throndhart

Throndhart IncGamers Member

Some advice on a Druid

Hello everyone,
    Lately, I´ve been playing a hybrid druid I came up with (and for which I´ve found similar guides on the forum, but nothing exactly like what I´m doing), an elementalist/fire claws werebear using armageddon and fire claws as his main attacks. So far it´s worked out great (started Nightmare yesterday, and I cleared the den of evil. So far, most monsters die in 2 hits at P8). Right now, I´m using Bonesnap, Jalal´s Mane, IK boots and belt, Venomgrip, Duriel´s shell and rare rings (kinda crappy ones right now) and a rare amulet with extra resistances, +2 to elemental skills and some +stats. The character has a lot of life and armor right now, which is nice, and hits like a truck (over 1200 damage per hit with fire claws with a fully charged maul, around 1000 without it), albeit somewhat slow. I expect damage to rise as I pump the sinergies (right now, I´m maxing armageddon, because it´s my main damage dealing skill. While I tank the monsters, the meteors inflict some heavy punishment on packs. Once that´s done, I´ll start pumping fireclaws for good, and the sinergies as much as I can with all other skill points), and once I get a might mercenary. Here come the questions, at last:

1: Would it be a better idea to pump some sinergies first, and then max fire claws? So far, I´m against that because putting points in Fire Claws allows me to gain extra attack rating as well as damage, however by boosting the sinergies I´d also boost the damage and duration on Armageddon.

2: Attack speed is probably the only thing this build lacks so far. What weapons or items would you recommend to increase it, both now and endgame?

3: I´m pondering to use Earth Shifter for endgame play, if I ever manage to find it (I gotta get my Barbarian to do some work on that regard, I´m afraid). Judging by ATMA´s drop calculator, Thresh Socket is my best bet to find it, and after that, running lvl 84 areas. However, I have to wonder how slow my attack speed with Earth Shifter will be, and how I could improve it (so far, adding a socket with Larzuk´s quest, and putting a shael in it seems the simplest way to go, but I´m open to suggestions).

4: This build is being highly enjoyable in Normal and early Nightmare, and has been a fantastic cow runner (each armageddon meteor would hit 3 or 4 cows, and almost none would miss due to the high number of cows). Is it likely that it´ll stay the same all the way to hell, or am I wasting my time?

Thanks for the answers, and sorry for the long post.

2. maxgerin

maxgerin IncGamers Member

Re: Some advice on a Druid

A good guide can be read here.
    It focuses mainly on PvP, but I think the necessary details for PvM can also be drawn from it.

(1) Since you have Armageddon (which doesn't synegize Fire Claw), and you seem to enjoy it, it would be better to increase other synergies first before FC. Molten Boulder (for knockback), Firestorm, Volcano are synergies that FC and 'geddon share. Personally, my Pat FC Aldur's Druid (which I haven't find the time to post after several months) never bothered with the Fire spells, and doesn't even have 'geddon, so I can't share more on this.

(2) Try using Eth/s + Shaels on a 6os Phase Blade. The usual twinking weapon for this build. Wouldn't help your Fire spells, but will do good damage with FC.

(3) Doesn't provide FCR, and the high STR requirement, and abysmal speed are big let down. But I guess that's just a balance by the game designers. If you plan to use or find yourself using FC more, this wouldn't be the weapon for you. #2 might serve your purpose better in that case.

(4) I'm not sure, but I think you'll find it slow. Not that profitable as compared with other chars.

Enjoy! :smiley:

--maxgerin

3. Liquid_Evil

Liquid_Evil IncGamers Member

I think you're gonna hit a wall in Hell. One third of all the monsters are immune to fire and it looks like you're spreading points a bit thin.

How many hard points do you have in Maul? Is this a true hybrid bear in that you want to deal solid physical along with fire?

Like maxgerin already noted, the standard werebear weapon is a 110% IAS phaser. This is because the damage comes from +skills rather than base weapon damage.

An Earth Shifter is just too slow on a werebear. Here's a guide I penned that was designed around that weapon if you have your heart set on it.

Lies. That badboy has 10% FCR. :wink3:

Yeah, so unless you've already dumped points in Maul and have some pretty good end game gear, I'd probably start playing this guy like a pure fireclaws bear with some points in 'geddon. That means investing in a speedy weapon, crushing blow, and starting to milk FC and FC synergies (rather than more points in Armageddon). You can boost AR with partial sets, Sigons Helm and gloves, Hsaurus boots and belt, Angelic Rings and Amulet...or you could just pile on the Steel charms and use a Demon Limb Enchant charge on switch.

Good luck.

4. Uzziah

Uzziah IncGamers Member

1). You have armageddon and you use it as a primary skill, better too boost it through other skills that help your fireclaw skill.

I've built a dual elemental druid using armageddon as a secondary skill, though I had no hard points in it I was in the 1000, damage range with points in it's synergy, and using a +3 armageddon pelt.

I suggest you get use to making your character walk in tight circles as you move in a direction that will increase the number of meteors per area when you're walking.

2). Speed will be an issue, you need IAS, period. The other issue with speed will be you're more focused elemental damage source, you have 2 types of damage fire and physical, fire being the most common immune in Hell will give you some strife endgame, need to figure out ways to work around it.

3). You need to be going really heavy elemental skills for earth shifter to be worth it's weight, honestly I never found that weapon to be worth anything, too high of a str requirement, two handed. The only build I ever thought about using that weapon for was again my dual elemental druid, back when 1.10 had the synergy bug and the charges of volcano would boost my armageddon by another 140% on top of the 360% from stone runeword and 20pts in firestorm. but now without the synergy bug I would say it's not worth it.

4). The build should be quite fun, but in Hell expect to be slowed dramatically, fire immune is the #1 immunity in Hell all fire based characters slow way down in Hell mode.

5. Throndhart

To answer some of the points you´ve brought forth...
    The build only has one point in maul (it´s a prerequisite for fire claws). I use it sparingly (mostly charge it up, then hit with it once every so often to keep it going), and I don´t plan to put any more points in it. So far, Melee damage has been the icing on the cake. Armageddon has proven more reliable and a faster killer, and staying in melee is a great way to ensure the meteors actually do hit their targets.
    The build isn´t as much a hybrid, as an elementalist focused on Armageddon. I think I´ll explain what the idea behind it is, because it´s not clear from my words (whether that idea may work in practice in Hell or not remains to be seen :smiley: ). The way the character works is, he brings the enemies to him. Thanks to his high life and armor due to werebear, he tanks the enemies while activating armageddon. Armageddon deals much of the damage, while the character deals some damage in melee, mostly fire, but with some physical thrown in, and crushing blow to help take care of things. So far, it´s been working amazingly well. The earth shifter is a prospective endgame weapon (I like the stats, and I don´t mind the high str requirement so much), however I might experiment with other things that you suggested (however, the 6 OS phase blade makes me cringe, but if there´s no other possibility... :tongue: ).
    I had checked out some of those guides, and I took some pointers from them, however I decided to do this more as an experiment than anything else. I will have to see how it turns out.
    Thanks a lot for all the replies, I´ll let you know how it goes!

6. pacifickarma

pacifickarma IncGamers Member

Tell more, tell more! I've always thought about making an Aldur's Druid, but can't seem to find a good build!

7. maxgerin

maxgerin IncGamers Member

It's long-long over-due, I really should post about it soon.
    Hopefully, I'll be able to post about it this weekend/Sunday. :smiley:
    Very busy with HFrushing since I'm half-way through my current goal with 6-1/2 HF sets completed...just a little bit more...a little bit more...

--maxgerin

8. smilts

smilts IncGamers Member

Please do as soon as I finish my set pally and my set barb Ill be looking for a good set druid guide to work off of

9. corax

corax IncGamers Member

1. alternate skill points between fire claws and synergies.

2. For 1 handed go with one of the phase blade uniques. If you want to swing a 2 hander go for a once or twice upp'd steeldriver with shael or a tomb reaver. both nice and fast and high dmg.

3. Hunting for a single unique will make you hate this game. just plan your build on what you currently have not what you hope to have.

4. it should make an ok cow runner with decent gearing but don't rely on it to mop the floor with the whole place in 0.9 of a sec like multi shot amazons in 1.09

Last edited: Apr 17, 2008
  10. Throndhart

1: That was my plan right now, actually. The good thing about pumping Fire Claws is that it will not only add damage, but also add attack rating.

2: I prefer a 2 hander. It will give me more physical damage to deal with Fire Immunes. Upping items is another route I had considered: Steeldriver lacks crushing blow, otherwise it´d work well. I still have to make a lot of calculations.

3: Hehe, I know. It took me 6 months to get my IK Soul Cage. I never plan my build over a certain item, this is just prospective planning. I have alternatives, however dreaming is for free. :tongue:

4: To tell the truth, as long as it´s a fun character to play, I´m not concerned about its running viability. If that was the only thing I cared about, I´d play sorceresses.

11. Hrus

Hrus IncGamers Member

Well, I have similar character in progress, but abandoned for some time. Actually I had a semi successful fireclaw bear patriarch, and he was king in NM doing ~9K fire damage in 4 frames. However Hell difficulty was about anything else with all those immune monsters. It's not good that you don't have anything against FI, and CB is good against bosses, but not so good against regular monsters especially if you have fast weapon (low physical damage).
    Because of that I plan not to focus on fireclaws with my geddon bear, but more on the maul or hunger (The build is named Hungry Kodiac).

Anyways I used Shockwave a lot in Hell difficulty, it is a great skill, and I often parked those FI monsters...

12. corax

corax IncGamers Member

steeldriver is so cool you dont need CB for normal monsters.

shockwave is a crazy awesome skill too. any of my bears that had spare points got shockwaved. nothing better than mobs just sitting there

13. Throndhart

By the sound of it, I´m going to spend one point in shockwave. I know by my own experience how useful it is to have an area of effect stun, and sounds like this could be a life saver further in the game.