Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Solving the No-LAN problem (well, part of it)

Discussion in 'Diablo 3 General Discussion' started by mouseman, Aug 18, 2009.

1. mouseman

mouseman IncGamers Member

Solving the No-LAN problem (well, part of it)

There are a lot of people who had planned to gather up with their friends and play Diablo 3 through in LAN. There are valid reasons for wanting LAN in Diablo 3, but many people just would've wanted to try the game in LAN with their friends before purchasing. It would've been like, maybe one or two would've buy the game and probably the majority would've after the LAN party. Before you call me evil - are you sure you haven't ever played with a friend's copy in a LAN party?

So I think it's pretty understandable for not wanting to pay the full price if you just want to play it with your friends over a weekend. It doesn't make it right (nor legal) to copy your friend's game, however. My point is - there is not a good option available!

What would you think if you could buy the game for a week for, say, 10 euros / dollars ? It would be like free Steam betas and campaigns. Since everything is probably run through battle.net 2.0 like Steam games are run through Steam (and that's the reason of no-lan in the first place) it would be rather easy to implement.

This way people could have LAN parties and not everyone would be forced to pay the full price on a game they won't play after the event. It would be good promotion, too, as Blizzard would cater to more people. I don't see a reason Blizzard shouldn't implement new solutions if they have the technology for it. More options is better than less options, right?

2. Thyiad

Thyiad Moderator Single Player, D2 Assassin, Barbarian

Re: Solving the No-LAN problem (well, part of it)

LAN has nothing to do with not wanting to pay for the game. I own three copies, so does my friend who plays and most of the SPF own multiple copies.

LAN is necessary if you live on campus, a military installation or anywhere else you can't access Bnet because of blocked ports over which you have no control.

It is about avoiding Bnet kiddies and playing with your friends without lag.

If your solution is pay per play then frankly I will play a proper MMO which is set up to be online only and won't ban me for switching characters.

The issue is Blizzards blatent ignorance of their client base.

3. Starving_Poet

Starving_Poet IncGamers Member

Aye, it has nothing to do with not paying for the game - it has everything to do with helping people who don't live within a thousand miles of a Blizzard Server, or whose only access to the internet, precludes them from using a Battle.net server.

Or, and this is one that most people just don't understand - precluding the need to connect to a Battle.net server and all the requisite time delay - in order to play with someone sitting 3 feet away from you.

4. lone_wolf

lone_wolf Diablo: IncGamers Member

yeah because not wanting to pay the full price and play lan really made me buy those 6 discs of diablo 2 and 6 discs of lord of destruction, just so me and my brothers could play a few years back:coffee:

Bnet was such a nice thing to play on at campus... no wait i couldnt even access it at all silly me but i could lan how strange is that.

Its just silly i mean people play tribes vengenze and titanquest with eatch other still even though those games are not supported any longer...

But how is that possible? fan servers and LAN:whistling:

Pay to play solution.... just throw that crap in the garbage where it belongs.

5. Kiroptus

Kiroptus IncGamers Member

Stuff like Garena is why we wont see LAN in D3.

maybe Bnet 2.0 will be like a super-buffed up and more secure garena, so it would be kinda of LaN connection anyway. We have to wait and see what the fuss about bnet 2.0 is all about.

6. Suatan

Suatan IncGamers Member

When the Internet isn't working I amuse myself by playing Diablo. Seems like it will still be Diablo II and not III.

7. Starving_Poet

Starving_Poet IncGamers Member

Removing LAN won't get rid of stuff like Garena - it will actually promote their use as BNET Spoofers.

If Blizzard wanted to get rid of Garena - they would make BNET good enough so that OTHER matchmaking services were unneeded.

8. Brother Laz

Brother Laz IncGamers Member

Private servers for D2 are a noble idea (the only place where you can play mods online in a secure environment, for instance!) and if they weren't used for the most part by pirates looking to avoid the cd-key check, LAN would still be in.

But hell, keep downloading those games and whining about the consequences, LOL.

9. Risingred

Risingred IncGamers Member

They don't have a good solution to recover the loss of LAN in diablo 3 without limiting who you play with.

In SC2, you have the AMM system which is now going to match you by location, so you're matched with those closest to you, geographically. Would they do this for D3? I highly doubt it.

10. Silverfang

Silverfang IncGamers Member

You sound like a doll of RIAA and co. Their argument only counts for products with less to none quality, where spreading of the word ruins the sells. Sells of quality-products aren't decreased by hacked copys. It often enough increases the sells!

11. Mad Mantis

Mad Mantis D2/3 Necromancer & Witch Doctor Moderator

Do you really believe that? All MMO's have illegal servers running. There is an entire spoofed Steam community to play those games illegally. Saying that they removed LAN to keep the pirates away is bull****.

12. jacobgold

jacobgold IncGamers Member

If Diablo 3 has a multiplayer component at all, rest assured that the lack of LAN will be inconsequential.

Heres how it will work:

1. Blizzard doesn't include LAN on release.
    2. Private individuals create battle.net emulation software.
    3. People who want to play over LAN run the emulation software on their LAN.
    4. You and your friends connect to your LAN battle.net server and play.

Extend the battle.net emulator to include a file structure that makes it easy to transfer characters between emulated servers, and theres your LAN. Just remember to take your character file with you and keep it synchronized with the computer running the LAN server.

Nothing short of Microsoft levels of DRM will prevent you from playing D3 over LAN, and probably not even that considering how popular the game will be.

13. mouseman

mouseman IncGamers Member

Seems like I spurred up yet another debate about reasons to include LAN. What it's worth, I already stated that there are valid reasons why LAN should be included - so I'm with you (I think everyone in their right mind is). I was just passing around an idea of a new business model. Now I think I should've just left the LAN introductery out :)

14. Silverfang

Hehe...

If you wanted to talk about new business models, I would turn off to a totally different topic than d3 anyway and told you about a freely deliverd game with the possibility to donate for the different content available. Of course this system I'd thought about would be most viable in a mmo-game with integrated developement tools as part of the game, so you could not only donate for the gaming company behind that mmo, but also to the usermade content whereas the company only gets a tiny, percentual (or so) fee.

15. a black kid

a black kid IncGamers Member

considering you are still connected to battle.net, and for instance, im on the very east coast... if it matches me with another person near me, both of us are connected and sending our information to california first, then back to the east coast. therefore, this method in fact makes the system worse... it would be more dead on if i was on the east coast, and i was playing with someone on the west coast, cause they are closer to blizzard servers.

16. DarkChaos

DarkChaos IncGamers Member

No. I will use WarCraft III as an example. If you play a game over Battle.net with someone on your LAN, you will get LAN ping with them because it establishes a direct connection. If you lose your connection to Battle.net, you will still be in the game.

I would like there to be LAN, but I'm fairly confident that for both SC2 and D3, Blizz will implement something like this to help alleviate there not being LAN. You're out of luck if you can't connect to Battle.net to start the game in the first place, but once you've started you most likely will be fine - at this point, it will be LAN.

17. sirroman

sirroman IncGamers Member

What you are saying doesn't make much sense.

Are You talking about, like, making a P2P Battle.net system? It still wouldn't be a "lan connection", and what if I want to play with my brother which is by my side? How can we have a faster connection than LAN?

@jacobgold: AMEN!

@Kiroptus: There's at least one "documented" case of a movie that was able to "profit" from piracy. Well, the movie is actually really really good, so I can't say if they actually needed the huge free propaganda.

The movie was released before it was finished, people bought it. A lot. His piracy was on TVs and newspapers. Then they released the movie on the movie theaters with added content, implemented music and etc.

People who didn't buy the pirated version went to the movies to see what the fuzz was all about. People who bought it went to see how it became, and etc.

18. Silverfang

Talking about Wolverine there, aint' you ;)

To the other part: No, it wouldn't be LAN. It would be P2P neither (as none of the clients will get server-functions afaik). But it would be doable and (at least when it's coming down to SC2) favorable to put two (or more) clients to a direct connect with the next DNS in line to reduce lag to a minimal, only sending and receiving needed info to the server for maintaining the game and the other services BNet2 is said to offer.

K!A.o.S.

19. Phranx

Phranx IncGamers Member

I'm not sure if we read the same thing, but no where did he even insinuate that it would be FASTER than LAN play.

What DarkChaos means is that the software is smart enough to see that you are both on the same LAN and sends the information directly between you both even though the game was created as a Bnet game.

It's a pretty common practice these days, even MSN will notice this and file transfers run at local speeds. The only issue I see is that D3 B.net games are designed as Closed MP, you would still need access to B.net for the majority of the dataflow. Unless they decide to create a separate, open MP section to Bnet (i.e. characters are stored locally and drops, etc aren't calculated server side).

20. zoddi

zoddi IncGamers Member

wouldnt be easier to must emulate a bnet, instead log on to bnet servers you just log on the emu server host the game thru LAN IP.
    check pvpgn for wc3.