Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Soloing hell baal

Discussion in 'Sorceress' started by Cinslayre, Feb 8, 2004.

1. Cinslayre

Cinslayre IncGamers Member

Soloing hell baal

Hi,
    I'm unable to run solo hell baal runs... and I can't figure out why...

I'm using my lvl 91 orb/metor sorc... she's using the "standard" equip:
    shako
    tals amu
    occulus
    vipermagi
    lidless wall
    and bul khatos wedding band, some nice charms.
    Have +10 to skills and about 1.2 k life. Max res in hell (except poison).

Need some advice, I die either when I get to the throne by those cloudy thingies or frenzying guys or by minions. You guys who are able to use your sorc to solo hell baal - what gear do you use and what skills?
    //cinslayer

2. savagebj

savagebj IncGamers Member

What you really need is to skip past all those black souls by teleporting as quick as you can. It really helps if you have a merc with max resistances and lots of hp so he can tank the units while you spell them. if it's really crowded in the throne and there are lots of monsters that are immune to your spells, then simply quit and make a new game. hope this helps

3. Sessily

Sessily IncGamers Member

Max block and some +%faster speed will help as well (I couldn't tell by the given information) to circumvent the ever-annoying Black Souls. If you can get more Faster Hit Recovery so your Teleport can't be interrupted, that will also help you.

Hell Baal is extremely tough, good luck!

4. deathslayer007

deathslayer007 Banned

another way to combat the gloams and black souls, is to use a maxed hydra. Stick it out in the corridor and it will kill the souls easily. Orb all else or watever skill u use. thats how i Hell Baal, and dont forget the sometimes (often) dual cold fire immune Lister.

5. wind

wind IncGamers Member

I would think with +10 skills, Black Souls would be no problem. With my +5 skills now, it only takes one maybe two casts to kill them going solo. I do use a merc however and teleport with him as much as possible. Seems he has a better sense as to when a monster is just off the screen than I do.

Other than 5 levels less in skills, I'm using:

Tarnhelm
    Vipermage
    Viscerant
    Wizardspike
    +2 cold skills ammy
    2 fire skill charms

She's a FO/Meteor sorc with about 850 life, approx 650 mana and max block.

6. Stiertje

Stiertje IncGamers Member

True, Souls are easilly killed by fire. One or two Fireballs are mostly enough. It's getting them killed BEFORE they kill you that is the problem.

7. Sessily

Sessily IncGamers Member

Yeah - it's not exactly killing one that's the problem, it's killing them before the stun lock occurs and they blast you into oblivion. It's the same problem with Ranged Attackers, except these are highly mobile and can get you from any angle. Annoying bastards. --;

8. Cinslayre

Cinslayre IncGamers Member

Thanks for all the advice... guess I screwed up since I dont have max block... I have 0 block :) This is actually my first char ever so I thought it was worth investing 200+ points in energy. Well I'll just make a new one... using stormshield this time with max block. Think I have one laying around somewhere...

Again thanks for all the advice, and yes black souls usually die immediately to my fb, the only problem is to actually aim fast enough...

/cinslayer

9. wind

wind IncGamers Member

A little misinterpretation here. I'm casting orbs, with their wide spread and area covered, you don't need to be all that accurate. Which means you can concentrate on dodging and teleporting. Getting one or two orbs off in their direction makes short work of them.

On another note, if you run parallel to a Black Souls location, most times their attack misses. That's important because I never really noticed any block on my part with their attacks when I got caught standing still. Usually I treat the situation similiar to Mephisto casting his orb. Once the Souls let go with their attack, immediately after I get off an orb.

But where block really comes in helpful is against Succubus. Those fire bolts are completely blockable. That allows you to pay more attention to other monsters that are deadlier, like the frenzy guys and deal with them first. But the biggest asset against those frenzy monsters is to have a decent amount of teleporting room. They seem to chase you almost as fast as you teleport.

10. Stiertje

Stiertje IncGamers Member

Ya can't block Souls' Lightning attack.

And Orb for Souls is not so good an option. You need to get more close to it then with Fireball. And Souls have less Fire res then Cold, so Fire does more damage.

One more thing, when you're standing still and a Soul attacks, you actually gate hit 5 times by the lightning. This and their buggy attack is the major problem with Souls. When you run and you get hit, you're hit far less, mostly 1 time when they score a hit. And they tend to miss you too far more often. It's somewhat the same as with the Lightning Hose from Diablo. Run and it misses. Teleport and he'll adapt to your location instantly.

11. wind

wind IncGamers Member

It only takes one encounter to figure out block doesn't work against their lightning attack. It takes many more encounters to say "I never really noticed any block on my part with their attacks when I got caught standing still"

That's what makes Black Souls, Gloams and the like such an interesting AI to take apart. A player really has to pay attention to what's happenning on his screen. FO with CM is an extremely potent attack against them. I believe mine is around -120 to the enemies cold resist so that would put their resists to -77. If one orb travels anywhere near them, that results in very dead Black Souls with a single cast. :D

Your right about having to be a bit closer with orb, but that's the fun of it. :surprise: The fact you don't have to be near as precise in aiming it fast enough, the results are very satisfying.

12. Bz-OwnZ

Bz-OwnZ IncGamers Member

Question

Don't think this deserves it's own thread, but a question that's been bugging me for a while:

I've got 75% resist all in hell and a level 10 energy shield.

Assuming I get whacked by a Black Soul's CL, how much damage do I take assuming I've got no equipment?

13. melianor

melianor D3 Wizard Moderator

Mana gets drained BEFORE resists get calculated. You will be left with nearly no mana unless you invested in Telekinesis.

What helps against black souls:
    30%+ FHR
    75%+ allres/lightning res with 95% Lightning resist Black Souls are nothing more than a tickle. This can be achieved with items containing +15% Max Lightning Resists

FHR and max resists help alot. Unless they are loacted in the Throneroom i suggest teleporting past them. FCR of 63%+ is required to be successful with that tactic.

Killing the Minions in the Throneroom is not the problem here. Meteorb sorc can make quick pieces of those. USE Static! With max-block/900-1000 life/max res/merc you can stand close to the pack when the materialize in front of you. 5-10 static brings them down to half. Finishing them off for the other half is no problem then.

Another way to handel Black Souls would be to pick them apart. Let your Merc attack them then and use Telekinesis so that they cant cast Lightning. Takes time, works wonders though.

2 setups i use:
    Tal's Set with my blocking shield (Visceratuant/PDiamond upgraded for 72% blocking and some otehr stuff -> max res 75%/max-block/1100 life
    You have less +skills with Tal's but otherwise you are covered safely. The MF with Tal's very nice too.

Wizardspike
    Shako
    Tal's Amu
    Skin of Vipermagi 33%
    Visceratuant/PDiamond
    Magefist
    Arachnid Mesh
    Raven Frost
    FCR Ring with some res
    Rare CR/LR boots with some MF

max-res/max-block/ less life... somewhere around 900 /less MF/incredible Casting speed!!!

Baal himself is rather easy compared to his minions.