Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Solo Sorceress vs Hell Ancients

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by Artemis.SkF, Feb 3, 2004.

1. Artemis.SkF

Artemis.SkF IncGamers Member

Solo Sorceress vs Hell Ancients

I've recently obtained an Occulus and Tal Rasha's amulet during NM Meph runs with my Skelliemancer and am currently planning to build a Sorceress. My only concern is a seemingly impossible obstacle to completing the game solo as a Sorceress: the Hell Ancients. I Matriarch'ed a Sorceress in 1.09, but I needed a Necromancer to help me with his tanks to defeat those darn barbarians. Any suggestions on a build, merc choice, and strategy to beat these guys? I plan on using either the Meterorb or the FO/CL build and possibly the Holy Freeze merc. Any help would be much appreciated.

2. Borlag

Borlag IncGamers Member

hmm I think the best suggestion here is to wait for Lira to log on and reply with everything you need to know and more :teeth:

3. farting bob

farting bob Banned

take a quick trip down t the sorc forum, look at some various builds, ask what skills should be used etc. or wait for lira..

4. Vex_Nemox

Vex_Nemox IncGamers Member

The best way to kill Hell Ancients is to have your A2 Merc use his Reaper's Toll, and I am not joking. You want your merc at least lvl 85ish, he survives better from there upwards, vs. Hell Ancients. You have a high probably to get a dual immunity to your skills with at least one and rarely with 2 of the Ancients. Since I assume this is SC you should still be VERY CAREFUL of the FE bug. If Madawc has it you should open a portal and try again. If anyone else has it don't be near them when they die.

If you can't get a reaper's toll at least get a weapon for the merc with a Slow effect. Personally I really think Holy Freeze and Defiance are toss ups, take your pick. They both work and it is about 50:50 on the debate with those two auras. You just need the merc to survive and slow, he isn't around to kill unless you get FI/CI or CI/LI, depending on your build choice. 85, keep him alive, reroll FEs (mainly Madawc) and good luck.

5. buffa

buffa IncGamers Member

I would suggest that let your merc wear sharfstop + Vampire gaze.

But the most important thing is wait for lira...

6. Butzull

Butzull IncGamers Member

Am I so easily forgotten? *sniff*

Here's how I did it in HC!

http://forums.rpgforums.net/showpost.php?p=1286024&postcount=12

I had a Holy Freeze merc with no PDR and using a Meat Scraper, Blood Recipe helm and an upgraded Goldskin (for max resists).

I only needed Orb and teleport for the fight. It's not too bad as a Sorc, because when your merc starts to get really damaged, you can teleport to the opposite corner of the arena and take a breather.

Butz. :teeth:

7. LprMan

LprMan IncGamers Member

Well when I killed them with my FO/Meteor sorc I just respawned them until there was no FE guys. I really don't trust my merc that much, HF mercs have quite low defense and die quite easily there. I didn't give my merc pots at all, he would have died a bit later, but leaving me without a bunc of full rejuvs. I just ran circle and cast meteor as often as I could, and when my stamina was low, I switched to teleport to avoid their attacks and kept spamming meteor. Finally they died. It wasn't fast/easy, but I did it

btw, I haven't seen Lira for ages. Where is she now??

8. nemar

nemar IncGamers Member

First Forget holly freeze ! it's a mistake, HF don't make anything.
    2) use 3 spells, not 2. you have 2 waypons, USE IT !!!!! an axe like unique Spellsteel with his decrepifi can help you, or if you find a weapon with a lower resists !.
    3) if you're merc is killed to quickly, take a def, if not take an off for more damage.
    4) be more strong ! use a shield , use a better armor, (if you are killed anyway in one shot , change again for other +XX)
    take off all +MF, do you need +mana stuff with you full reguv ????
    5) change you're fight ! is teleport a good spell or a better to use speed boots ?
    6) can you do it without you're merc ? after all, perhaps it's because you're looking after you're merc, (in 1.09 my bowazon didn't kill ancien until I decided to go alone, and it's was the good choice!)

9. the_alphabetman

the_alphabetman IncGamers Member

I never had any problems with the Ancients with my Fireball/FO sorc. My merc bit the dust within the first 10 seconds of the fight so I just ran around casting orb every so often, later switching to fireball for the surviving Ancient. The two melee are easy to keep away from with teleport and as long as you keep moving the axe thrower shouldn't be able to touch you either.

10. LprMan

LprMan IncGamers Member

HF isn't a mistake. Maybe it is crappy against ancients, but against normal monsters it is really good. Hiring new merc for one fight is quite weird thing

Im not sure what you mean with this, but tri-elementalist are not that good. Just concentrate on 2 skills an make them as powerful as you can. Only dual-immune for me was Madawc (Cold&Lightning) so I had to kill him with FO.

But a wand with LR charges is a good idea :)

11. Flamearrows

Flamearrows IncGamers Member

Not that hard. I did it with a hardcore meteorb sorceress, albeit with fairly heavily twinked gear. Actually, I've done it 3 or 4 times now rushing other characters. The most important thing is to get some PDR% for both you and your merc. A shaftstop and a harlequin crest is fine, your merc should have a shaftstop and a vamp gaze, coupled with some sort of seriously nasty weapon - I used an eth "amn amn" bonehew with an act 2 holy freeze merc. It pwned them. tele like crazy, reset them endlessly until you get some nice mods (absolutely no FE, cursed or fanatic, rest is up to you). Then, with your belt full of full juvs, tele around FOing them to death. Keep the merc alive, he's one more meat shield which you dearly need. Never stay still, and they'll go down eventually. My merc could tank two ancients at once, and that really helps.

Good luck

flamearrows

12. nemar

nemar IncGamers Member

what is the effect, put blue color on monster, that all. that don't change the speed of monster, that don't kill monster. nothing nada, and I don't speak about Cold Immune. Actually I play 3 HC in Hell with cold Merc. I do that because read every were it's good. now I KNOW it's without interest.

don't say try elementalist, I say use 3e source of damage withe second weapon ! wand with LR or decrepifi or slow monster or something else in the same idea will help agains anciens.

13. factotum

factotum IncGamers Member

When I beat the Ancients with a sorc I used an Act 2 Defiance merc using:

Tal Rasha's Horadric Mask (for the life leech)
    Toothrow sharktooth armour (for the Open Wounds chance, mainly)
    Kelpie Snare upgraded to Stygian Pike and socketed with Amn for even more life leech; the 75% slow effect was incredibly handy, too!

As always with the Hell Ancients you keep trying until they spawn with nice mods--once I got a set which meant my merc didn't die in 0.02 seconds I knew I was set; it was just a matter of casting Blizzard on the Ancient's heads while letting my merc tank. All that life leech plus the slowing effect made it almost a walk in the park!

14. Bolinbrooke

Bolinbrooke IncGamers Member

Concentrate on taking one of them down at a time and spam that Ancheint till he drops. Make sure you keep moving and if it takes more than one go who cares?

It's not that hard as I have managed it with F/Ball-Orb, Nova-Orb and Meteor-Melee.

15. loveratbaby

loveratbaby IncGamers Member

I always found teleport to be my friend with Hell Ancients and sorcs - take a HUGE stock of full rejuvs and drop them all over the place before you spawn them and keep whacking them into your merc if he needs them - if the ancients are on him you have more chance to fly around and do some damage.

I have been lucky with mf'ing with my Necro for my sorc - found Occulus, Tals Ammy and Reaper for the merc (necro be my first 1.10 char). I am only up to Hell DIablo atm and my merc is wearing vamp gaze and some rare armor so his resists arent fabulous - gonna try for the Diablo kill now =)

16. ckb

ckb IncGamers Member

I have only brought a sorc through Hell Ancients once (in 1.09), but it was the easiest of the bunch. Lots of FRW to keep you moving fast, throw forbs everywhere while running madly about. Don't get hit... ever. That worked for me.
    One of them was CI, so after the other 2 went down, I lay down firewalls and had him run through them for a while. With a sorc, Fast run and teleport and a keen eye should keep you safe while you plast them with a spell of choice.
    I never bothered with a merc. My gear was average at best.

ckb

17. Gohanman

Gohanman IncGamers Member

In my opinion, Sorcs are the best Ancients killers (or easiest to play at least). Run in circles casting FO until anything that isn't CI dies. Stamina pots can help here, as sometimes it takes a while. Clean up what's left with your secondary spell. Just keep your distance.

18. Artemis.SkF

Artemis.SkF IncGamers Member

Thanks again!

Thanks again everyone for your great advice! I will have to do some more MF runs with my Skelliemancer before attempting a sorceress build. Kinda makes me wish I didn't have to do other things besides Diablo, like go to work, take showers, eat...

19. Butzull

Butzull IncGamers Member

You shower? Wow, how civilised! :worship:

Butz. :teeth: