Solo Sorc VS Uber Trist (Video)

dreamofwinter

Diabloii.Net Member
Solo Sorc VS Uber Trist (Video)

DreamOfWinter is my lvl 91 blizz/melee hybrid sorc for soloing uber trist. Sorry that the files are so large, it takes quite a bit longer than with a smiter.

Video captures for mini-bosses, and uber-trist-- (the first minutes are trimmed, where mephy is lured away from baal and diablo)

http://rapidshare.de/files/30561240/winter-izual.avi.html
http://rapidshare.de/files/30561835/winter-duriel.avi.html
http://rapidshare.de/files/30563448/winter-lilith.avi.html
http://rapidshare.de/files/30566603/winter-trist.avi.html

I'm curious as to what non-cookie cutter builds people have come up with that can solo uber trist.

Samsung

Banned
Very very impressive! From what people have told me, Uber tristram is difficult without a smiter. Once again, very impressive.

melianor

D3 Wizard Moderator
Skillsetup, stats and items used please. What is that fire protuding from your Sorc? *sceptical look*

pek

Diabloii.Net Member
melianor said:
Skillsetup, stats and items used please. What is that fire protuding from your Sorc? *sceptical look*
Yeah, I'd also like to know your setup!

melianor

D3 Wizard Moderator
obiwansbane said:
lol dreams 1 and only post... so no feedback?
Well i would like to see facts before i shout hooray for the sorceress..... otherwise i will simply ditch this thread.

dreamofwinter

Diabloii.Net Member
melianor said:
Hellfire Torch
Req Level: 75
25% Chance to cast level 10 Firestorm on striking
+3 all Sorceress Skills
+18 All Attributes
+12 All Resists

The fire is from hitting stuff in melee (a rare site for a Sorceress!) -- the 25% chance to cast level 10 Firestorm on striking.

dreamofwinter

Diabloii.Net Member
v0.99 Guide to Soloing Uber Trist w/ Sorceress

melianor said:
Well i would like to see facts before i shout hooray for the sorceress..... otherwise i will simply ditch this thread.
Here goes-- the v0.99 guide to Soloing Uber Trist with Sorceress-- :tongue:

It looks like there are some skeptics despite the video, so I'll go ahead and post the gory details about the build, the equipment, and the strategies involved.

I hadn't played Diablo2 since early v1.09, but I decided to break out the old crack pipe again this summer. :smiley: Sorcs have always been my favorite character, but one thing that bothered me was that it seemed Sorcs were unable to complete the ultimate challenge in v1.11 -- soloing Uber Tristram. Nevermind that only a handful of builds were of any use at all in Uber Trist (smiters, elite melee builds, and now thanks to FooSoft's incredibly inspiring demo, summoning necros.)

It became my mission to figure out how to solo Ubers with a sorceress, and after about a month of trying out builds and getting the equipment I would need, and reading this forum a *LOT*, I realized that you could probably do it with a hybrid melee / caster sorc. I originally went with fireball/meteor/orb/melee. That was cool since I could kill in all three elements, but one drawback was that you couldn't exactly spam fireballs and hack at things at the same time. :embarassed:

Blizzard turns out to be the ideal spell for a melee / caster sorc, because it's timered, so you can't spam it. Isn't that a bad thing, you might ask? Well no-- because it conserves mana, so you do not have to raise your mana from base, and you will not need very much faster cast rate equipment, and most importantly, you can hack at things during the blizzard casting delay.

To be effective in melee, you need two things:
1) Survival -- i.e., as much +life, +FHR, +damage reduction as you can find
2) Damage -- max lightning mastery and put on two Dream runewords --> 40k+ lightning damage per melee hit. With an Infinity merc, this will usually kill any non-lightning immune in one hit.

Here's the complete setup, which turned out to be quite an exercise in finding the best compromises:

***** Skills:

DreamOfWinter (kommi97 on US East Ladder)
Lvl 91 blizz / dualdream hybrid sorc (102 skill pts)
20 lightning mastery (to augment Dream damage)
1 telekinesis
1 teleport
1 static field

1 enchant (for attack rating)
1 warmth
1 firebolt
1 fireball
1 fire mastery

1 frozen armor (for defense)
10 ice bolt (blizzard synergy)
7 ice blast (blizzard synergy)
20 glacial spike (blizzard synergy)
1 frost nova
20 blizzard (main spell attack)
15 cold mastery (you need high cold mastery to kill Mephisto, since you will not have any way of lowering his 75% Cold Resistance. Your merc's Infinity will be canceled by his, since his is higher level, and you cannot switch to a Lower Resist wand -- more on that later. If you don't want to do Uber Trist with this kind of setup, just put those points into Blizz synergies, since with an Infinity merc most monsters will be at -100% Cold Resistance even with just 1 point in cold mastery.)

***** Stats:
Str and Dex are min to put on equipment--
Str req 156 for spirit monarch --
20 str from Chains of Honor
5 str from Maras
17 str from Anni
18 str from Hellfire Torch
20 str from Marrowwalks
Base str = 81+ 80 -> 161 (because sometimes I need to switch Maras/Metalgrid)
Dex req 136 for passion / eternity / call to arms phase blade --
5 dex from Maras
17 dex from Anni
18 dex from Hellfire Torch
17 dex from Marrowwalks
20 dex from Ravenfrost
Base dex = 64 + 77 -> 141 (again, to switch between Maras/Metalgrid)

Energy -- base (you will get enough from Dream, Spirit, and just levelling bonus for Sorceress)

Vitality -- all the rest (around 400)

After meleeing Diablo and Baal, and before fighting Mephisto, I actually go to the stash and exchange all of my melee equipment for caster equipment, so you can see it for yourself if you just pause the video. However, here is the list: (I only listed stats that are variable / of interest)

***** Melee setup for fighting Diablo/Baal/Izual/Duriel:
Chains of Honor (Dusk Shroud), +65 all resists, +20 str, +200% damage to demons (this is critical -- you must increase your physical damage for effective leeching)
Metalgrid Amulet, +32 all resists, +420 attack rating, +340 defense
Ravenfrost Rings x2 (20 dex, 200+ attack rating)
Dream (Tiara), +9 all resists, +30 faster hit recovery, +15 Holy Shock Aura
Verdungo's Hearty Coil Belt, +15 damage reduction, +35 vitality
Dracul's Grasp Gloves, +15 strength, 9% life leech, +9 life after kill
Marrowwalks Boots, +20 str, +1 skeleton mastery, +17 dexterity

Weapon/Shield: (primary)
Passion (Phase Blade), +79% bonus to attack rating, +196% ED, +1 Zeal
Dream (Blade Barrier) +20 all resists, +28 faster hit recovery, +15 Holy Shock Aura
Note that vs. Izual and Duriel (which are a lot less dangerous), I used a Stormshield socketed with a perfect diamond for damage reduction. Normally I use stormshield on Hell difficulty when I run host Baal runs or run Nihlathak (just tele straight at him and whack him if he's cold immune, blizz him otherwise, then melee the cold-immune minions), because dying at lvl 90+ means losing a LOT of xp, and the lightning damage from just the Dream helm will kill in 1 or 2 hits anyway.

Weapon/Shield: (switch, for battle orders prebuffing)

Call to Arms (Phase Blade), +5 battle command, +5 battle orders, +4 battle cry
Spirit (Monarch), +35 faster cast rate

Charms:
Sorceress Hellfire Torch 18 stats / 12 res (this has a 25% procing Firestorm on striking)
Annihilus 17/17/5
Cold GC with 25 life
Cold GC with 27 life
Cold GC with 19 life
The remainder is filled with a bunch of Resist All (making +44% resist all) charms for surviving Mephisto's Conviction Aura, and 20 to life small charms. One of the 20 to life small charms also has the Toxic mod, so it inflicts poison damage (along with Open Wounds, important for stopping uber regeneration.)

Resists: -100 in hell, -125 due to Mephisto's conviction aura
+65 Resist All from Chains of Honor
+27 Resist All from Mara's Kaleidoscope
+29 Resist All from Annihilus and Hellfire Torch
+85 Resist All from Um'd Kira's Guardian
+20 Resist All from Dream shield
+44 Resist All from charms
+30 Resist All from 3x Anya Quests
Total: 65+27+29+85+20+44+30 - 225 = 75
For normal adventuring, you will wear Dream instead of Kiras as a helm, and you will not need to carry any of these resist charms around.

***** Mercenary Set-up

Act2 Mercenary (Holy Freeze Aura)
Helm -- Vampire Gaze (for life leech & damage reduction)
Armor -- Ethereal Chains of Honor Wyrmhide (+20 str, +65 all resists, 8% life leech)
Helm -- Vampire Gaze (for life leech & damage reduction)
Armor -- Ethereal Chains of Honor Wyrmhide (+20 str, +65 all resists, 8% life leech)
Weapon -- Ethereal Colossus Voulge Infinity (lvl 12 conviction aura, tons of physical damage. There is no choice in this, because Conviction not only reduces enemy resists -- making your lightning melee attack kill them in 1 or 2 hits -- but it reduces their defense by an insane amount. This often overlooked property of Conviction allows you to hit pretty much any monster including bosses automatically, even with a mediocre attack rating.)

As you can see, the strategy is to static the opponent down to 50% health, lifetap them (either with Dracs, or with a charge on your Marrowwalks if the Dracs just doesn't proc in time), and blizzard & melee to death. The blizzard does tons of damage, and the lightning damage from the dreams does even more. With the passion phase blade and the chains of honor (+200% damage to demons), and your opponent Life Tapped, you will do about 800 Physical damage per hit, which is just enough to leech back enough life to survive. So that's the story with Izual/Duriel/Baal/Diablo. Also, you should have a source of poison, such as a small charm in your inventory. That along with Open Wounds will stop the uber regeneration.

It turns out that with this melee setup, you cannot melee Mephisto or Lilith -- they just do too much damage and you cannot leech back life fast enough to stay alive. Moreover, meleeing Mephisto is a pretty bad idea since he is lightning immune and your physical damage is near negligible.

***** Caster/Summons setup for fighting Lilith/Mephisto:
Here are the following changes:
1) Swap out Metalgrid for Mara's Kaleidoscope Amulet (+27 all resists, +5 all stats, +2 all skills)
2) Swap out 1 Ravenfrost for Bul-Kathos Ring (+1 skills, +45 life)
3) Swap out Dream Tiara for a Um'd perfect Kiras (+85 all resists, cannot be frozen, +20 fhr), to help survive Mephisto's -125 conviction aura
4) Swap out Verdungos for Arachnid Mesh Belt (+1 skills, +20% faster cast rate)
5) Swap out Dracul's Grasp for Magefists gloves (+1 fire skills, +20% faster cast rate)
6) Swap out Passion Phase Blade for Eternity Phase Blade

What is an Eternity phase blade? Well, it's a kind of obscure 1.10 runeword that works on both ladder and nonladder --

Eternity 5 Socket Melee Weapons Amn + Ber + Ist + Sol + Sur
Indestructible
+260-310% Enhanced Damage (varies)
+9 To Minimum Damage
7% Life Stolen Per Hit
20% Chance of Crushing Blow
Hit Blinds Target
Slows Target By 33%
Regenerate Mana 16%
Replenish Life +16
Cannot Be Frozen
30% Better Chance Of Getting Magic Items
Level 8 Revive (** Charges)

Anyway, the only thing you need to know is that it grants ** charges of Level 8 Revive. Once you have revives up, you cannot switch out of the weapon or your revives will die instantly. You now have three minutes before your revives expire. So before fighting Mephisto, kill some monsters, switch to call to arms and cast Battle Orders/Battle Command, switch back to Eternity/Dream, revive the 8 toughest, baddest, monsters you can find and get them to tank for you while you blizzard Mephisto from a safe distance. Your dream shield will keep you alive, since it has a 10% chance to cast lvl 15 confuse when struck, so his huge army of skellie mages will be busy attacking each other instead of killing you. The best monsters to revive are the notoriously Sorc-unfriendly Immune-to-Everything Pit Lords found in Izual's mini-boss level or spawned by Diablo in uber trist. They're actually not so bad -- you can kill them with your Passion phase blade using pure physical damage (have your merc help out), or if you really want to inflict some pain, try weilding Grief.

You could probably also do uber trist with a pure caster setup with either Eternity or Harmony (the two runewords that give revives) -- but you would need two very powerful attacks in two trees, since Baal is immune to Cold, Diablo is immune to Fire, and Mephisto is immune to lightning and poison. Fireball/meteor/orb is probably your best bet. There is also an infamous "Solo Sorc Uber Trist" video on the web that shows a sorc with Tal's set killing ubers with a Fleshripper dagger and firewall, i.e. the one where the Ubers don't summon minions, don't move at uber speed, don't do uber damage, and Mephisto just sits still in the corner and dies quietly without moving. Don't even get me started. After seeing that, I knew I had to post a video showing that it could be done, and done right.

Acknowledgements -- too many to count, but principally --

z3phrn's (Midoban's) dualdream/enchant bear sorc guide
http://forums.diabloii.net/showthread.php?t=315277

Gimmershred's dualdream zeal enchantress guide
http://forums.diabloii.net/showthread.php?t=471447

And all the other zeal-chantress and uber tristram guides out there, especially in this forum...

I also have to give a major shout out to FooSoft and his amazing fast necro uber tristram run video, from which I learned the effectiveness of revives(!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!), and without which, I would probably still be trying to kill Uber Mephy with melee and crushing blow.... (ouch)
http://forums.diabloii.net/showthread.php?t=476867

I also owe a lot to space_loner's Trading Forums v1.11 Item Guide. I had to start from scratch, and really needed to pinch every pul at the beginning in order to get on my feet.
http://forums.diabloii.net/showthread.php?t=382411

Not to mention all the players who helped me on US East Ladder, particularly the ones who were nice and did not cheat ridiculously. Thanks to Blizzard for making and then fixing the dual dream glitch merc bug, so that the market was flooded with perfect Dreams on sale for a ridiculously low price. A thank you to the zombie in act5 which dropped a Pally Combat GC +39 lifer which was pretty much the foundation of all my wealth. And a moment of silence for all the pallybots who are no longer with us and their endless baal runs, without which it would have been incredibly hard to level a new character starting from scratch. :flip:

-- DreamOfWinter
[Sorceress, Lvl 91, US East SoftCore Ladder]

melianor

D3 Wizard Moderator
much better :D !!!!
Videos can be easily faked these days. Thanks forposting that build dreamofwinter! *rereading*

dreamofwinter

Diabloii.Net Member
obiwansbane said:
aw i gotta dl it and im too lazy... could u plz like youtube it or something? plz plz plz pretty plz?
You got it. YouTube link up: :thumbsup:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mo-e80SS6ho

It looks gawdawful, so if you have a faster connection, I posted a much smaller version of the original file, but which still has enough quality that you can actually see what is happening: [~50mb]

http://rapidshare.de/files/30609596/winter-trist640.avi.html

The video is captured with SnapIt8.

-- DreamOfWinter [*kommi97]
lvl 91 sorceress, US East Ladder

nimby

Diabloii.Net Member
Yay!! I am amazed someone actually came up with a build, albiet a tricky one, that can uber run solo. I had always heard that this was near impossible because of what a sorc is in nature. My first character in all of D2 was a sorc and I loved playing as her, except then she got nerfed in 1.10 and I lost a lot of my interest when I saw pallys that could just own everything with a very simple build. It is reassuring. I really must praise you for your work, and understanding of the game.
-Nimby

Noite Escura

Diabloii.Net Member
How do you handle the first Life Tap? It must take some time for the LT in Drac's to fire up. So, with less life than a Pala I guess it's hard to survive the initial seconds...

Speedster

Diabloii.Net Member
Incredible. This is the best movie of 2006 so far. Miami Vice was fair, but I'd rather see this on the big screen with Dolby surround.
:thumbsup:

newerest

Diabloii.Net Member
jonw said:
Incredible. This is the best movie of 2006 so far. Miami Vice was fair, but I'd rather see this on the big screen with Dolby surround.
:thumbsup:
What the hell happened to Snakes on a Plane?

dreamofwinter

Diabloii.Net Member
Noite Escura said:
How do you handle the first Life Tap? It must take some time for the LT in Drac's to fire up. So, with less life than a Pala I guess it's hard to survive the initial seconds...
Marrowwalks have charges of Life Tap. So they will double as your life tap wand :)

dreamofwinter

Diabloii.Net Member
nimby said:
Yay!! I am amazed someone actually came up with a build, albiet a tricky one, that can uber run solo. I had always heard that this was near impossible because of what a sorc is in nature. My first character in all of D2 was a sorc and I loved playing as her, except then she got nerfed in 1.10 and I lost a lot of my interest when I saw pallys that could just own everything with a very simple build. It is reassuring. I really must praise you for your work, and understanding of the game.
-Nimby
Aww... thanks. :)

Hooray for the sorceress! :smiley:

kikomun

Diabloii.Net Member
nice video....i thought your merc was pretty tough in there...my merc could barely survive for 5secs :shocked: