Latest Diablo 3 News
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

solo necro summoner

Discussion in 'Hardcore' started by vagrantrogue, Jun 14, 2005.

1. vagrantrogue

vagrantrogue Diabloii.Net Member

solo necro summoner

hi, i've recently tried to go my first round of hardcore with a necro summoner, but got owned by duriel in act 2. anyone have any good advice for a solo/untwinked summoner necro to get through duriel? my char is too weak to take him on head to head, or any of my summons, including my merc! =(

2. MoUsE_WiZ

MoUsE_WiZ Diabloii.Net Member

Level to 24 and get decrep is one good way...plenty of exp to be had in the tombs.

If that's not your cup of tea then you're just going to have to refill your minions every 20 seconds and hope that you can out damage durry's regen.

There's probably other cleverer ways of doing it, but I'm not aware of them.

3. xeyloderixed

xeyloderixed Diabloii.Net Member

any lvl less than 24 is going to be tuff for a nec, i can guarantee that.

24 gets you summon resist and decrepify, both of which work wonders against dury. at lvl 24 you should be able to solo him with a maximum of 1 army rebuild (if you somehow miss/mismanage ur mana decrepifying)

4. Aerath

Aerath Diabloii.Net Member

1) get 24 w/ decrep
    2) if you have mages, respawn a few times till you have cold mages and/or
    3) have a lvl 23/24 merc w/ cold damage

You could even put a bow on switch, filled with flawed gems, to chip away at his life =)

5. drinkturps

drinkturps Diabloii.Net Member

Don't be afraid to TP out and raise some more Skellies. As mentioned, Decrepify is essential if you are soloing Duriel. It's the most challenging battle you will have in your Summonmancer's career.

In Hardcore there is nothing wrong with running away to re-group.

6. Day

Day Diabloii.Net Member

As others say decrepify helps a bunch - the cold mage idea is grat as well..

Some other thoughts:

If you find your necro's minions are scattered when you arrive or take time to get into play (and thus die) try immediatly casting a portal next to him and exiting - when you go back through the portal your minions will cluster, move slightly away from Drurial and they will immediatly surround and attack him (This works very well against Diablo and Baal as well)- getting the Clay golem in early and the slow really helps. Then just concentrate on keeping the Merc alive (shift click) and the golem up.

Try a decent blocking shield. At level 24 even with no dex) you'll have some blocking (if you use something with decent base blocking - shop at Drogans for a deflcting bone shield).

Gamble a rare pike with big damage and lifesteal for your merc.

Don't let him charge you - if you stand next to him you don't get charged. Keep the Golem/Merc in the way. If you have a CB weapon such as Crushflange and can hit him whist he works on the Merc/golem it will help to kill him very quickly. A cold charm to slow him further is good if you are hitting as is a poison charm to slow regeneration ( mind you don't think he regenerates that quick in normal).

Have plenty of purples saved up (enough to fill your belt twice over - you don't need to cube up to full) and don't be afraid to run if you merc/minions die or you get low on purples.

Keep a clay golem up at all times for the slow effect.

You don't need resistances for Durial - you need life - swap on some cheap plus life items for the fight purchased at the shops. For your merc best defense armour and plus life - make sure he has lifesteal.

If you need to raise a new army to finish the job - pop back to act 1 waypoint 1/2 for a fast easy top up.

You could also consider a wand and head with plus to bone spirit to help (my summoner used one against normal diablo and had no problems) if you don't fancy melee.

Good luck.

Day.

7. waflob

waflob Diabloii.Net Member

Nah - normal Diablo is the real pain. As mentioned by previous posters, wait until lvl 24, for decrep and summon resisitance. At 24 I usually get attract as well, so I have to save points from lvl 22 onwards.

My normal method for dealing with the fat slug is to :-
    1: keep out of the way :)
    2: keep the clay golem up at all times
    3: keep the merc alive with potions
    4: retreat to re-summon and / or get more potions as required.

I usualy manage to get the job done with just 1, 2 and 3.

DelBoy

8. drinkturps

Normal Diablo's is not that tricky at all, I guess it depends on what level you are by the time you reach him. I am usually about level 28-30 when I get to him as I like to quest. We all play different I guess.

9. waflob

This is the same with me, but I have to lure him out into the open, where he can be surrounded by skellies. It usually takes at least 5 trips back to renew my army, as they tend to be stupid and all run towards him in a line. One lite hose and it's back to square one. They are a bit weak at this level to withstand the attack and that's why I find it so awkward.

Do you have a tactic that you've found helpful ? If so, please tell :)

DelBoy

10. drinkturps

No real special tactics, it's pretty much how you described it and the same tactic for Duriel.

Pre-buffed Gumby with Decripify all the way. If you run around the cold plains and stoney field you should find some nice heads with +3 Clay Golem and +3 Raise Skelly. Whilst shopping in act 1 buy a nice +3 RS and +3 clay golem wand (not necessarily on the same wand). All my + clay golem stuff on one switch and all the raise skelly stuff on the other.

Slow him down enough and those lightning hoses don't happen so often.

This works a treat for me and I don't have that feeling after activating the last seal of "am I gonna make it?".

11. MoUsE_WiZ

MoUsE_WiZ Diabloii.Net Member

Shopping a telestaff in A3 makes diablo a bunch easier I find. You can use it to get your minions too close to him for the pink lightning hose of death to have any effect, and more importantly they'll all get close enough to hit before he wipes them out with a fire attack.

Also...if you're going hybrid, you can just run around and do nova or BS to him. It's slow but it does work (at least it does with BS, PN might be another story as you have to get closer). If you're not going hybrid then you don't need too many skill points and putting 1 in fire golem isn't especially painful and a level 1 fire golem does a good job of tanking diablo.

Another way I did him was with an A1 merc... I just continuously cast clay on the opposite side of him as me and my merc were on from a safe distance and let the merc own him (ever so slowly).

12. kooshball

kooshball Diabloii.Net Member

you guys all said normal duriel/diablo is the hardest a necro will face, what happens in nm and hell? i got to nm level 50 and couldn't even run meph at a reasonable rate. is there a killall skill you get later on or what?
    :confused:

13. drinkturps

By level 50 your Raise Skeleton will be maxed, you'll be putting points into Skeleton Mastery, you'll have the wonderful Might Merc and should have plenty of plus skills for pre-buffing if you want to. Depending on play style you may even have a few revivies to join in the fun and some mages too.

Mephi is straight forward. Decrepify him, and make sure your gumby is always at him too. Your skellies should grind him down quite well.

If you have total confidence in the power of your skellies keep him amped and let gumby do the slow down.

14. Day

Day Diabloii.Net Member

I don't think Diablo uses the lightning hose very much (if at all once he is surrounded?) or if it does it tends to just kill one minion. The cheap teleport option of casting a portal at him as soon as you see him,running out and back to consolidate your minions around him really works. I only tried him once in Normal as I got him first time using this trick and without needing to resummon - it also worked in NM - and Hell. I currently use it (albeit I now have a teleport amulet) for killing Hell Baal.

However, I did level until I was able to put a point in summoning resist which really helps your minons survive and I also had a bone wand and head found on the way with Bon spirit which I shot at him to speed things along.

If you can get CB on your Merc - maybe Am and Tir it would be even easier.

15. kooshball

kooshball Diabloii.Net Member

you're right i did have max RS and SM at that point. also had 5 poinnts in revive.was missing 1 or 2 points from decrepify before i died from pindle :(

the damage from the skeles are so low though, i dont see how they can do any harm to any major boss in hell AT ALL!

that character so much fun though, much more so than my hammerdin and trapsin.
    gotta rebuilt, :)

16. vagrantrogue

vagrantrogue Diabloii.Net Member

well, in nightmare, if you max SM/RS and have a few +skill wand/shield/circlet, you can do ~200 base damage with your skeletons. put that with your might merc and amp damage and you will do at least 500+ per skeleton. after some decrep and clay golem action on meph, the skeletons had a relatively easy time taking him down. just make sure he gets surrounded as soon as you see him, so he cannot move around. there should be a few spare bodies to revive to turn to skeletons as well, in case he takes down a few.

anyways...thanks to the others for the ideas. i was hoping i don't have to wait until lvl 24 to get through duriel. in softcore mode, i usually die a couple times and run through while im still under lvl 20. but i guess that's why hardcore is hardcore. hehe...thanks guys.

[edit: oh, and on diablo, i think he's easier than duriel overall, but in a way, he's more dangerous. you never know when he traps you in his bone prison. and if you're a summoner, have fun trying to break free before diablo hoses you down! :mad: ]

17. BongoFury

BongoFury Diabloii.Net Member

Level 24? For Normal Duriel?
    <It's been a long day, my eyes must be tired and I just misread them. After all, this is the HC forum, they wouldn't be that cowardly.>
    <rereads thread>
    <shakes head>
    The problem with waiting till L24 to take on Normal Duriel is that you're likely to trip over your skirt.

If you're going with a Summoner Necro, you should put your first three points into RS. Then put points into Skelly Mastery till your Skellies get a sword (around L7-8). This makes them beefy enough to take some damage. There after, max RS. The key to act bosses with a young Necro is Iron Maiden. Raise your full horde before entering the chamber. First action is to hit Duriel with IM. Then walk to the other side of the room and open a TP. Stand by your TP and manage the battle. Feed your merc reds and purples whenever he's in trouble. And recast your clay golem whenever he gets in the red. Keep IM on Duriel at all times. If all your Skellies and your merc die you can quickly step into your TP to regroup. Refill your belt, raise your merc and Skellies. If Duriel was near the entrance when you TP'd out, re-enter via your TP. If he was near the TP when you left, walk back to the tomb entrance. Either way, you'll have time while he closes with your army to hit him with a fresh IM. And an IM'd charge attack will hurt him hard. Remember to cast a fresh TP. Then it's just like before; IM, feed potions, recast golem, etc. Rinse and repeat as necessary.

Diablo is the same strategy. IM and golem. But you might want a pair of FR/W boots to dodge the LBOD if you're slow with recasting the CG. Also, don't return via a TP, Diablo might have it Bone Prisioned and you'll be stuck.

You really only need to be L12 to defeat Duriel and Diablo if you master the IM/Golem tactic.

18. waflob

I do that too !!
    Sometimes I'm too fast hitting the 'w' after casting a new gumby and don't switch back, which is a nuisance

From the posts you've made, I think we both play a similar summoner (great minds think alike ?)

DelBoy

19. waflob

I seem to remember reading somewhere that the skellies' life and damage are scaled according to the difficulty - i.e. they are harder in nm and even harder in hell.

Would welcome feedback on this from someone more in the know about this.

DelBoy

20. Rekoc

Rekoc Diabloii.Net Member

No i think the only thing that applies to skeles life and damage is the lvl of the skill and master. AR on the other hand is based on your Char lvl. So if you are lvl 45 and trying to kill in late NM or hell then you are out of luck because without a BA merk you probably kill very much :)