Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

SoJs and Diablo Cloning

Discussion in 'Diablo 2 Community Forum' started by Earl Grey, Apr 18, 2005.

1. Earl Grey

Earl Grey IncGamers Member

SoJs and Diablo Cloning

After reading about Diablo Clone hunting it strikes me how strangely this event has been set-up.

It seems like Blizzard is encouraging people to dupe SoJs since selling loads of duped SoJs is the only reasonable way of getting DC to appear. Would people sell SoJs if duping was not possible?

2. Myrakh-2

Myrakh-2 IncGamers Member

Two things.

First of all, SOJs can also be botted, so duping is not the only way to spawn dclones.

Second, Blizzard has always been carefully designing the game to award scammers, dupers and botters --- creating items that cannot be traded in the trade window to encourage stealing, not fixing duping bugs to encourage duping, "poofing" things to punish those that have traded for them (instead of punishing the dupers), and realm downs that can be easily avoided by bots but people get "trapped" by it all the time.

So it's not much of a surprise that certain game features work much better if you dupe a lot, except that dclone doesn't hurt anyone --- i.e. it's not the usual "award the bad guys and punish the good guys" routine. It's just that the people with the pile of SOJs are guaranteed an anni, whereas legit players have to run endless "create game, check server, logout" scripts to find a "hot" server, and then they have to hope that the game doesn't crash.

3. IronCamel

IronCamel IncGamers Member

As a less cynical answer, they did it to try and take all the duped SoJs out of the game. The fact there are far fewer "walks" these days suggests this has been at least a little successful.

4. Earl Grey

Earl Grey IncGamers Member

A few questions:
    What is "botting"?
    How do I "check a server" to find out if it is "hot"?

5. Babubhai

Babubhai IncGamers Member

what u mean by dupe; and how you can do it? thanks

6. Gorny

Gorny Banned

A dupe is an illegally created copy of an item.

Since we on these forums take a strict stance against hacking and cheating, you may not ask ( on our forums) how to dupe.

7. Megaritis

Megaritis IncGamers Member

Dupe is "Duplication" (Make a copy of something) in a short term. Thus, it means duplication of items in the world of D2.

8. Babubhai

thanks for the info But how can one duplicate items. Is there a program a bug or something that one uses to dupe.

9. BFD

BFD IncGamers Member

We do not discuss or participating in the duplication of items on these forums. You were told by the moderator aragorn_elessar to stop asking. As a result you will most likely be banned.

10. Myrakh-2

Myrakh-2 IncGamers Member

Duping refers to creating a copy of an item by exploiting a bug in the server code (i.e. a vendor that would offer you to copy an item e.g. as a quest reward isn't duping the item).

Depending on the game, a duped item may or may not be identifiable. Apparently they can be identified in Diablo-2, although Blizzard chose to ignore them for the most part (AFAIK items have IDs, so if there is more than one item with the same ID then at least one of them has to be a dupe. By taking the realms offline for a few hours you could just go through ALL characters, feed their item IDs into a database along with a ref to the char the item is on, and easliy identify all dupes, provided there is still more than one copy of it floating around somewhere. Diskspace requirements will be less than what the characters themselves are using, so it's definitely manageable, and doing a 1:n lookup is very efficient as well.

Eliminating dupes only really makes sense if you do it AFTER fixing the bugs that created the dupes, of course. Blizzard doesn't really like to fix bugs.

Question 2: botting refers to a client program that plays the game for you. A bot is a program, so it has infinite patience and (almost) instantaneous responses, so it's perfect for running days and weeks and months to kill act bosses or do other things. Add some mule management and account creation as well and you'll end up with a completely automatic item collector.

Those items are all legitimate, since they are created from normal gameplay --- the only thing that isn't normal is "who's clicking the mouse". Bots cannot be detected, since nothing can prevent a bot from simply returning the correct answer to any challenge sent by the server.
    That's the theory at least, D2 bots are probably far more primitive, designed to get the job done, rather than completely emulating the interactive game client.

11. Cooked

Cooked IncGamers Member

How about my Bot... It logs on to the game, selects a character to create or play, plays and equips the character, levels the character, stores the items found, sockets items, does forge rushes, even calls other players noobs and other trash talk. I haven't actually 'played' this game for months. Why would I want to play the game when the bot does all. It even went to the store and bought WOW and is playing that game for me too. I havn't even seen WOW and have no idea how to play but I am told I am a very good player. At least that is the story I get from my bot.

My bot even goes on these forums and interacts here for me by giving away excess stuff and winning 'contests' to get free gear. All I do it watch television and sleep and eat.

I am working on my bot so it will watch TV for me too. Only thing is I can't figure out why this game is sooooooooo boring. Maybe because my bot does everything for me???????????

This post sponsored by GODLY BOTS . COM

12. Babubhai

dunno why some people wanna be moderators when they are not. By the way thanks for the info

13. leumas

leumas IncGamers Member

I get it, its your little brother that you trick him with a dollar, rite?