Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Soj Hunting Help

Discussion in 'Newcomer Forum' started by Vasilisxxx, Jun 9, 2005.

1. Vasilisxxx

Vasilisxxx IncGamers Member

Soj Hunting Help

Hi.. i am Soj Hunting by killing Andy. And i know, that she is cabable of dropping a soj in Night Mare difficulty. But are the chances as good as in hell? If yes, then theres no reason to keep killing her i Hell difficulty. I Know that se drops better items i hell, but i am only looking for soj ;).

2 ) And are there other places to look for SoJ's? (Since i have your attention :))

Hope that the question wasn't to Noob-like

Thx :)

2. JooopIE

JooopIE IncGamers Member

Hi,

Iirc, Andy nm even has a better chance to drop sojs than Andy hell.
    Btw, Andy hell only drops crappy things, so it's not worth to do some mf runs there imo.
    Try Atma's Drop Calculator to see where you have the best chances to find a Soj.
    http://atma.diabloii.net/

3. Vasilisxxx

Vasilisxxx IncGamers Member

I thank you so much, for your quick and precise reply :D :thumbsup:

4. Rehsa

Rehsa IncGamers Member

if i'm not mistaken, this is a list of the best monster drop chance for a SoJ

NM Andy
    NM Trav
    NM Meph
    HELL Andy
    NM Diablo

i believe those are the top 5 in order from best chance to worst chance. then technically, all monster that are the right lvl or higher has A chance of dropping one, but much less.

i got my SoJs from NM trav (first one) and NM Andy (second one)... i quit DII, let account chars expire, came back, so i no longer have them. I would just do HELL runes for the overall better drops, but i want a SoJ or 2 thus i once in a while do a nightmare run.

5. mhl12

mhl12 IncGamers Member

I would have to disagree about hell andy dropping crappy things. Although it's true nm andy has a higher chance of dropping a soj, I got my first soj from hell andy. I also got some decent items from hell andy such as shakos, occys, and a 39% gheeds.

6. JooopIE

JooopIE IncGamers Member

True,
    But as soon as you got those items with nice stats (they're all 'MUST-have'), I think it's pretty useless to do more Andy Hell runs.
    The reason why I do Andy Hell? Found a Vex, Ohm there! (Btw my m8 found a Lo yesterday)

7. riplix

riplix IncGamers Member

if you really want sojs -> NM andy
    if you're also aiming for good tradeables -> hell andy (might get you enough to trade a soj faster than finding one)

nm has a higher chance cuz she can't drop the high lvl rings hell andy can drop. therefore when a unique ring is rolled, the number of available unique rings is lower and so the chances for sojs are a little higher.

8. krischan

krischan Europe Trade Moderator

The problem with Andy in is that she generally drops less than e.g. Mephisto, although her SoJ drop chance is still greater than Meph's. She often drops just a single item and sometimes she drops nothing at all. Meph has a very small chance to drop less than two items (it never happeend to me IIRC) and he drops more most of the time. Apart from that, It takes longer to reach Andy than Meph (perhaps twice as long) because there are two levels to travel through and there is no "turn left/right" rule for level 3 of the Catacombs.

9. CoopMoe

CoopMoe IncGamers Member

pardon my noobness... left/right rule?

10. riplix

riplix IncGamers Member

if the exit of room with the meph waypoint is north of your char, then the stairway to level3 is located on a west wall of a wide room with entrance east.

if exit is east, the stairs are on a north wall of a long room with entrance south.

if exit is west, the stairs down are on the west-wall of a U-shaped room with entrance north.

if the exit is south, the stairs are on a north wall of a wide room with entrance west.

11. mhl12

mhl12 IncGamers Member

Not unless you have the andy drop bug! :thumbsup:

12. CoopMoe

CoopMoe IncGamers Member

********... see, now that i'm high enough to run meph, im having problems figuring this sucker out. i'm not really seeing any sort of pattern. also, which way is north? it's not straight up and down or anything, the compas is tilted.

13. Bert

Bert IncGamers Member

What i do when i run mephi is alway go left, that is the left for the char.

It's strange at first but you'll get used to it very easy.

You have to get used to it but that way i find lvl 3 in 95 % of the time in less than 30 sec.

Bert

14. krischan

It doesn't matter where north is. It's just a convention. What matters is that it defines where the other compass directions are. Anyway, you don't need compass directions to explain this - you just need to know where left is :)

When arriving at the waypoint, check the map border to the left of the room exit first because that area has the highest probability to contain the stairs. You can search the general strategy forum for an elaborate explanation why it is like that.

It's similar for many other areas. For example, to find the stairs to WSK 3, you have to check to the right of the exit first. There is a list somewhere, but I don't know where.

15. riplix

riplix IncGamers Member

true but not in all cases. the only thing you can tell for sure, is telling what type of room contains the stairway down. turning left works most of the time but quite a few map layouts place the room straight ahead or even right of the character.

however it's true that heading left works better than right or straight in the usual map-layouts.

16. krischan

That's right, but knowing where left is usually includes knowing where right is ;)

For example, in order to reach WSK 3, you should check the right border of the map first, relative to the exit of the WP room. There is a list somewhere with the locations of stairs up, down, wp and other features of everything, but I can't find it anymore.

17. Pherdnut

Pherdnut IncGamers Member

Good god this is confusing. Why don't you guys just go with NW, NE, SE, SW since it's an isometric view.

18. HaLoPhReAk

HaLoPhReAk IncGamers Member

sweet ima start doing nm andy....what is best mf %??

-HaLoPhReAk

19. CoopMoe

CoopMoe IncGamers Member

whatever you can survive with, personally if i had some rare boots that gave me ~20 res on lightning and cold, i'd swap my 42% wts just to make meph that much easier.

kill speed has to factor in to how much mf gear you have. 300-500 is optimal, more than that and you hit diminishing returns on uniques and sets. yeah it goes up but not as proportional to how much just regular blues go up.

as for the turning left thing i think i got it. sometimes it takes a while but it's usually correct.

if the exit to the WP room is on the:
    nw wall go sw
    sw wall go se
    se wall go ne
    ne wall go nw

at least thats what i understand. i had a crazy run though where i had to like... loop around the wp. the pattern was right but i ended up on the other side of the wp completely.