SOJ finding fun.

When/how did you get your first SOJ?

• Total voters

Void Stalker

Diabloii.Net Member
Hello everyone, I liked what I saw of the MFO thread, and was thus inspired to actually start reading the MF guide, and got too the part where it is revealed that NM Andariel is the best place to get an SOJ, and so, NEVER having gotten an SOJ by drop (as opposed to by gambling in v1.00), I have decided to keep track of my new plan, and that is to run NM Andariel until I get me an SOJ.

AFAIK, my chances are 1/31 of any Unique rings she drops, and so far I have gotten 5 unique rings from her in the last 2 days (None SOJ's), but hope that, at this rate, I may be getting my very first SOJ from a drop within the next week or so, if things actually still work in 1.14d like they did when the MF Guide was written.

So, what are some stories that anyone cares to share of their own efforts to find SOJ's? Does everybody already have an SOJ of their own? Is anyone interested in hearing about my own efforts?

CaseyJones

Diabloii.Net Member
I have had 2 SOJ's drop in my entire D2 history. One several seasons ago on bnet from Pindle.

And one in single player softcore just several weeks ago from a poppable in Hell LK, pictured here.

Good luck on the attempts at NM andy, most people tend to farm Hell Andy or Meph for them because they can drop so many better items while you are waiting for that soj though.

Albatross

Diabloii.Net Member
6 stones in total, all with item level 87-8.8 (ancient tunnels). Not surprising since that's where most of my time went.

NM Andariel should provide you with some soon enough. I assume she's quest bugged?

Void Stalker

Diabloii.Net Member
I have had 2 SOJ's drop in my entire D2 history. One several seasons ago on bnet from Pindle.

And one in single player softcore just several weeks ago from a poppable in Hell LK, pictured here.

Good luck on the attempts at NM andy, most people tend to farm Hell Andy or Meph for them because they can drop so many better items while you are waiting for that soj though.
Nice! I totally overlooked that thread. Good to have some idea what others are doing with their D2 game time.

6 stones in total, all with item level 87-8.8 (ancient tunnels). Not surprising since that's where most of my time went.

NM Andariel should provide you with some soon enough. I assume she's quest bugged?
Ah...
I've heard of that, but by the time I did, they had patched it, lol. Not sure if I ever heard of that in single player games, though.

My MF guy is my highest level character currently, and it's an 87th level necro, so...

Currently, my runs are taking me more time to loot than to play, lol. I also have too switch back and forth, between players 1 and players 8, because my golem alone cannot kill very well. I have recently been attempting to unsummon all my minions when Andy is just about to bite the farm, so that I can make sure that my character, and not a minion strikes the death blow, but have run into a strange problem in several games, where I cannot unsummon one or more revives. Twice now, it was one of these that killed her, and she dropped white and blue only.

Before starting this MF run, I was doing Eldrich/Pindle/Shenk runs, in HELL, using players 1/8/8.

Anyway, I'm thinking about trying to get a single mule to hold all the unique rings that drop, and using that to keep them in order. Of course, nothing will help me do that with the ones I have already found, but then I just thought of doing this during the last run, where I got another one just a bit ago. I'm not trying to record the 'runs' themselves, because there are so many more to count, and really, I'm only interested in the SOJ's and their balance against the other two unique rings NM Andy can drop.

Last edited:

intersilva

Diabloii.Net Member
I have only ever found one, it dropped from Pindle on my Blizz Sorc a few months ago. My advice is to give up entirely, once I accepted that I would never see this item in my D2 career, there it was. I found 2x CoA within a few hours of each other through very similar means. 10/10 would give up again.

Void Stalker

Diabloii.Net Member
I have only ever found one, it dropped from Pindle on my Blizz Sorc a few months ago. My advice is to give up entirely, once I accepted that I would never see this item in my D2 career, there it was. I found 2x CoA within a few hours of each other through very similar means. 10/10 would give up again.
I gave up on the SOJ's long ago, lol. But now I'm back and trying again, like a fool, I just cannot stop myself.:cool:

Gripphon

Diabloii.Net Member
I would develop fireball sorc, pack MF on her, 105 fcr at minimum and kill Andy 3 times a minute. She doesn't have time to touch merc nor anything else. Using necro is way too slow for this as NM Andy is in general huge waste of time.

Most SoJs I've found in hell Travincal.

Babyhell

Diabloii.Net Member
RFL 2019 round 3, while running CS with my hammerdin, see here.

It was my second, but my first dropped, as all the others had been traded before.

GL on Andy, i'd go the Gripphon route if you have a sorc available, if not... you would have one available afterwards ;) :p

WoRG

Diabloii.Net Member
Great idea, but do it in 1.10a, that's where you get +2 skills BKWB....guide

I've gotten over a dozen SoJ's...I gambled at least 4 in 1.06, and I've dropped at least 6 in 1.07, plus 2 or three in modern patches...

Heck, if you check out the current IFT, I've even cubed an SoJ with the 1.07 resistance ring formula:cool:

WoRG

peytron

Diabloii.Net Member
I've only found one SOJ, and it was from running NM Andy over and over.

P.S. is it true that your summons don't apply your MF?

Dagaz

Diabloii.Net Member
I have 7 and I can't remember for a single one where it dropped. There was a period about a year ago, I found them all in like two months. Not a single SoJ before that or since then.

maxicek

Moderator Single Player
I think my first was from Mephisto. I got a couple there IIRC, I have several from Trav running. Also about 6 from The Cow King in 1.00. None in 1.07, one or two in 1.10a.

Barl

Diabloii.Net Member
My first was in hell cs in 1.04 with my static orb sorc. Beyond that I think all have been from gambling in pre-LoD.

Friiser

Diabloii.Net Member
For many years of D2 playing I never found one just questing or building my main character, a summoner necro. I had a couple of other builds going as well, at least one for each class and they hadn't either. I read on this forum about some single tree sorc builds and decided to try them out. I built a dedicated fire sorc, and once leveled enough with some end game gear specifically ran NM bugged-Andy for two SOJ (wanted a pair for some other builds). Since Andy has negative fire resists and can be quest bugged, I got both in less than 1k runs as I recall.

dkn

Diabloii.Net Member
Saw this post last night. Found two unique rings while MF'ng, both horrible nagel rings lol. Was hoping to be able to contribute.

I've been playing D2 since the day it was released and I've never found an SoJ.

ArtOfSenf

Diabloii.Net Member
I started my current D2 single player run a year and a half ago and have only found 1 SoJ and 1 BKWB.

I have found at the very least 2, probably even 3 of all other unique jewelry (don't have my charts here rn) so jeah.. there's that.

Void Stalker

Diabloii.Net Member
Many thanks to everyone that has shared their own experiences in getting the SOJ. While I've been at this (Off and On) for many years, it wasn't until I came here, too the Diablo II/III website, that I realized just how little I know about this game, and how much I have been missing out on! In almost 20 years of playing this game, I never knew/paid much attention to build guides (especially those that required end game items I never even saw), and all the drop calculators, area levels, monster treasure classes and whatnot. To me, I always just played D2 like any other game, you start a character, play it all the way through the game, until leveling it up becomes just to much of a drag to be rewarding enough to play all the way to the dead end level 99.

I also just assumed, yes, ASSUMED, that like me, everyone way playing v1.14d. I knew it was possible (but have not looked into HOW) to play previous version of D2, but have not really made any effort to attempt to install v1.00 on a windows 10 computer, but perhaps that could be a next item on the agenda. I know how to get SOJ's in v1.00, so if I can get that setup on two of my computers, I could just level up some characters there, and then patch them up to v1.14d, and bring me some gambled SOJ's into v1.14d, if I understand correctly.

Back to the topic at hand, so far I have had to create several mules for the express purpose of storing all the loot from these Andariel runs. Unfortunately, I'm not at all sure that I got all the loot on the right mules, as the idea didn't occur to me until I was a couple mules deep in the loot, and then I transfered to the Andariel mules all the stuff I could remember finding on these runs, and then later went back and took all the unique rings off and place them on a seperate mule, I could only find 5 so far. I could have sworn that there were one or two more than that, but I'm not going to search the earlier Mule series just to find them.

So right now I have a total of 3 Nagel rings, and 2 Manald Heal rings, been at this on and off for 3-4 days I think. I'm also 2 mules worth of loot deeper into this since the last Unique ring dropped, so that should be an indication of just how much is dropping and being kept, over and above the one item I'm looking for, lol.

Because I have famously bad luck with installing software, I have no third party programs on any of my D2 networked computers, and so I mule 'LIVE', as in, I create a game with a character on one computer, and then have one or more characters from other computers on my network join that game, and then I can mule items in game. I have always done it this way, for the better part of my D2 gaming days. I can remember when I played D2 on battle.net, and had three computers up and running the game. That must have been between 2000-2002, so whatever patches that would correspond to is the version(s) I was playing at the time.

I currently have 5 of my 8 computers able to run D2 on my home network, one I never got around to buying and installing D2 on, one died due to windows 10 update failure (As in, the computer no longer recognizes it's own HDD kind of failure), and one had it's system battery die, and so doesn't boot currently.

Anyway, I'm not currently mass creating new characters for playing purposes, and have realized that having mule characters scattered all over my network is a major pain in the butt! So I'm slowly starting to try to work out a system for mule creation and item storage based upon activity being performed at the time the items were dropped, and this has led me to creating this runs mule system.

Not knowing how many runs, and therefore how much loot there is going to be, I decided to leave myself a vast mule capacity, and I did this by starting off identifying the activity "Andariel farming in NM for SOJ" as the first part of the Mule's names, and the second part is class specific, and then the standard "- alpha" type thing, so for instance, if I latter farm Mephisto at some point, the Mule names might look something like:
  • MephBarb-A
  • MephBarb-B
  • MephBarb-C
and so forth, and if I need more than 26 such mules (which seems like a given based upon the start of my current project) I can then go on to other classes, so;
  • MephZon-A
  • MephZon-B
  • MephZon-C
and so on and so forth. I hope to avoid having to use past mule naming conventions by using multi "-alpha" characters, as I have found that to be quite confusing, even on just a single machine, let alone when such mules are scattered all over my network. If this project does indeed go on so long that I run out of mules to store all the loot, and that would be 26 mules of each of the 7 classes, so a total of 182 mules, I'll be forced to start using double and perhaps triple letters on the end of the mules' names.

Right now, I have a paltry 13 or so mules created for this series made and with some items on most, and all starter items removed. Because of my determination to fulfill at least the 'Stage One' goals of getting a single SOJ in v1.14d to drop, and recording/storing all the loot that drops along the way by means of creating a dedicated series of mules, I am thinking about posting updates that show the progress of the effort, so I'll be mentioning the Mule count, rather than the run count, as that will be a smaller number, and will also be easily countable by looking at the name of the latest mule created. I'm also thinking ahead, and thinking about recording any changes to the process, like building a sorc to do this instead of my minion-mancer.:cool:

I'm also considering going on to the idea in the back of my head, and that is 'Stage Two', where I may do one or another thing, either keep on keeping on with the necro, and looking to complete a full set of SOJ's (at least one of every graphic that rings have) just for spice, or alternatively, starting the effort anew, using a different character class/build, and seeing if there is any one class/build that is notably better/faster at completing the task at hand. Who knows, farming Andy in NM for SOJ's may lead to a 'Holy Grail' attempt later on down the road.

I have never before really done anything like this, so perhaps I should ask for input from everyone for input on ways to keep this interesting and above all, sticking to it. For the moment, I'm planning to continue on with the guy I'm playing right now, an 87th level Necro minionmancer, but after some time, will be open to changing things up to other classes/builds.

Any thoughts and/or advice.

dkn

Diabloii.Net Member
Many thanks to everyone that has shared their own experiences in getting the SOJ. While I've been at this (Off and On) for many years, it wasn't until I came here, too the Diablo II/III website, that I realized just how little I know about this game, and how much I have been missing out on! In almost 20 years of playing this game, I never knew/paid much attention to build guides (especially those that required end game items I never even saw), and all the drop calculators, area levels, monster treasure classes and whatnot. To me, I always just played D2 like any other game, you start a character, play it all the way through the game, until leveling it up becomes just to much of a drag to be rewarding enough to play all the way to the dead end level 99.

I also just assumed, yes, ASSUMED, that like me, everyone way playing v1.14d. I knew it was possible (but have not looked into HOW) to play previous version of D2, but have not really made any effort to attempt to install v1.00 on a windows 10 computer, but perhaps that could be a next item on the agenda. I know how to get SOJ's in v1.00, so if I can get that setup on two of my computers, I could just level up some characters there, and then patch them up to v1.14d, and bring me some gambled SOJ's into v1.14d, if I understand correctly.

Back to the topic at hand, so far I have had to create several mules for the express purpose of storing all the loot from these Andariel runs. Unfortunately, I'm not at all sure that I got all the loot on the right mules, as the idea didn't occur to me until I was a couple mules deep in the loot, and then I transfered to the Andariel mules all the stuff I could remember finding on these runs, and then later went back and took all the unique rings off and place them on a seperate mule, I could only find 5 so far. I could have sworn that there were one or two more than that, but I'm not going to search the earlier Mule series just to find them.

So right now I have a total of 3 Nagel rings, and 2 Manald Heal rings, been at this on and off for 3-4 days I think. I'm also 2 mules worth of loot deeper into this since the last Unique ring dropped, so that should be an indication of just how much is dropping and being kept, over and above the one item I'm looking for, lol.

Because I have famously bad luck with installing software, I have no third party programs on any of my D2 networked computers, and so I mule 'LIVE', as in, I create a game with a character on one computer, and then have one or more characters from other computers on my network join that game, and then I can mule items in game. I have always done it this way, for the better part of my D2 gaming days. I can remember when I played D2 on battle.net, and had three computers up and running the game. That must have been between 2000-2002, so whatever patches that would correspond to is the version(s) I was playing at the time.

I currently have 5 of my 8 computers able to run D2 on my home network, one I never got around to buying and installing D2 on, one died due to windows 10 update failure (As in, the computer no longer recognizes it's own HDD kind of failure), and one had it's system battery die, and so doesn't boot currently.

Anyway, I'm not currently mass creating new characters for playing purposes, and have realized that having mule characters scattered all over my network is a major pain in the butt! So I'm slowly starting to try to work out a system for mule creation and item storage based upon activity being performed at the time the items were dropped, and this has led me to creating this runs mule system.

Not knowing how many runs, and therefore how much loot there is going to be, I decided to leave myself a vast mule capacity, and I did this by starting off identifying the activity "Andariel farming in NM for SOJ" as the first part of the Mule's names, and the second part is class specific, and then the standard "- alpha" type thing, so for instance, if I latter farm Mephisto at some point, the Mule names might look something like:
  • MephBarb-A
  • MephBarb-B
  • MephBarb-C
and so forth, and if I need more than 26 such mules (which seems like a given based upon the start of my current project) I can then go on to other classes, so;
  • MephZon-A
  • MephZon-B
  • MephZon-C
and so on and so forth. I hope to avoid having to use past mule naming conventions by using multi "-alpha" characters, as I have found that to be quite confusing, even on just a single machine, let alone when such mules are scattered all over my network. If this project does indeed go on so long that I run out of mules to store all the loot, and that would be 26 mules of each of the 7 classes, so a total of 182 mules, I'll be forced to start using double and perhaps triple letters on the end of the mules' names.

Right now, I have a paltry 13 or so mules created for this series made and with some items on most, and all starter items removed. Because of my determination to fulfill at least the 'Stage One' goals of getting a single SOJ in v1.14d to drop, and recording/storing all the loot that drops along the way by means of creating a dedicated series of mules, I am thinking about posting updates that show the progress of the effort, so I'll be mentioning the Mule count, rather than the run count, as that will be a smaller number, and will also be easily countable by looking at the name of the latest mule created. I'm also thinking ahead, and thinking about recording any changes to the process, like building a sorc to do this instead of my minion-mancer.:cool:

I'm also considering going on to the idea in the back of my head, and that is 'Stage Two', where I may do one or another thing, either keep on keeping on with the necro, and looking to complete a full set of SOJ's (at least one of every graphic that rings have) just for spice, or alternatively, starting the effort anew, using a different character class/build, and seeing if there is any one class/build that is notably better/faster at completing the task at hand. Who knows, farming Andy in NM for SOJ's may lead to a 'Holy Grail' attempt later on down the road.

I have never before really done anything like this, so perhaps I should ask for input from everyone for input on ways to keep this interesting and above all, sticking to it. For the moment, I'm planning to continue on with the guy I'm playing right now, an 87th level Necro minionmancer, but after some time, will be open to changing things up to other classes/builds.

Any thoughts and/or advice.
Well, GoMule doesn't actually install software in the normal sense. It simply places a .jar file somewhere you choose. If you have Java installed, just click that file and voila! It does create some other directories to store the stashes.

Another option is to open multiple instances on the same computer. This is allowed. Theres a link I believe in the sticky on the main page. You'd be essentially doing the same thing as with your networked PC's, but on a single device. I think you'd run out of mule space though pretty quickly.

I'm honestly amazed at the way you're doing your muling. I'm a computer engineer and I primarily work on automation - so what you're doing is driving me nuts hahaha!

If you want to mule like that, I think your strategy appears fine. But how would you ever know where stuff is?

Void Stalker

Diabloii.Net Member
Well, GoMule doesn't actually install software in the normal sense. It simply places a .jar file somewhere you choose. If you have Java installed, just click that file and voila! It does create some other directories to store the stashes.
Although I did read up on GoMule, I have shied away from actually trying to install/use it. The devil you know versus the devil you don't kinda thing.

Another option is to open multiple instances on the same computer. This is allowed. There's a link I believe in the sticky on the main page. You'd be essentially doing the same thing as with your networked PC's, but on a single device.
I also looked at that briefly, and thought that while that looked interesting, My fear of messing it up somehow and loosing my characters due to corrupted files or some such has kept me at bay.

I think you'd run out of mule space though pretty quickly.
This I just don't understand. Do you mean that running multi instances would limit the number of mules somehow or other? On my very disorganized home network, I have hundreds of mules, many of them not opened since right after they were initially created and grabbed up whatever items they now hold, and these mules are scattered over all the HDD, and many more folders, as I cannot stand to have to sort/scroll through more than 8 characters in the list at any one time.

I'm honestly amazed at the way you're doing your muling. I'm a computer engineer and I primarily work on automation - so what you're doing is driving me nuts hahaha!
You and me both my friend, you and me both.

If you want to mule like that, I think your strategy appears fine.
I was hoping that would be the case, because I'm very tired of never being able to find the items I'm looking for, lol.

But how would you ever know where stuff is?
Short answer, I DON'T! Shuddering when thinking about the prospect of trying to find something muled weeks/months/years ago. Some time earlier this year, I found a great item for an Amazon, and went so far as to post a screen shot of it and ask if it was good to build a javazon around. Was told it was good, and looked into researching such a character, but forgot where the item was stored. As in, what Mule, in which folder, on which computer is that dang item?!?! I found a number of other end game items after that, as well, but where they are is anyone's guess.