Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Softcore to hardcore

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by ColossalAtom, Apr 1, 2016.

1. ColossalAtom

ColossalAtom IncGamers Member

I remember awhile back when I first started to play HC, I couldn't imagine going back to SC again. Every single thing I did on a HC character meant a lot more to me than something I'd do on a SC character. Since in SC you can Leeroy Jenkins it to no end and still make it to end game at some point. HC is all about the journey to the end game as well, sort of like why driving a manual/stick shift car is more fun than driving an automatic car.

One of the things that kept me to the HC life was having to plan well ahead of time when playing it. Which suits my personality, since I do that in RL too. Also being extra cautious, which is definitely me in RL too. For example, even if I'm in the passenger seat of a car, before I open the door - I always look back and check the side mirror to see if anyone is coming, before I actually open the door. I also do this when I'm walking too! But I look back to see if anyone is jogging/cycling by, before I switch sides on the pavement.

Does anyone else feel the same way? Do you mainly just stick to HC now? But to summarise the thread, I'll be heading back to HC again, after getting enough revision of how the game is now during SC.

coju likes this.
  2. T72on1

T72on1 IncGamers Member

I agree with your vision on the difference between HC and SC. Although from time to time I also love it to just be able to blast through the game without thinking and planning too much. That is why I do a mix of SC and HC.

3. Gripphon

Gripphon IncGamers Member

In general we can divide planning characters into 2 types. One is to plan a character we want to finish the game with, aka defeating Baal and have mat/pat. Cool and very common goal. Other type of planning is less common, and that is to plan and build character to be exceptional at some specific thing, or area.

For the first type of planning, HC is way ahead of SC, no question about that. However, in second type of planning, they are comparable, and I'd say SC is ahead of HC due to having PvP spectrum as well. But from PvM standpoint, they are comparable.

Another difference in my eyes is that HC is indeed mostly about first type of planning and finishing the game, while SC is mostly about second type of planning and making supercharacters for specific goals in mind. HC works for that too, but is less popular due to "you shouldn't die" part which in general brings HC characters to be sub-optimal in comparison to SC ones. That can be a drawback, or it can be advantage, depends on the person and preference.

I'm just bringing that second type of planning thing cause I'm exactly that kind of player who doesn't care about beating the game, but making most OP Travincal runner or PvP char with tons of planning and testing and stuff.. Hell yeah.

fearedbliss, pharphis and T72on1 like this.
  4. Grape

Grape IncGamers Member

Agree with Gripphon here. Although I still prefer the both types in SC.

HC is (or rather would be for now) me a game where the tournaments with different kind of restrictions etc are at their best. ColossalAtom, you're right that simply just defeating the game is not a huge challenge, especially with twinked gear.

The main selling point for me in SC Mat/Pat chars are that you can totally forget about safety if you wish. That opens up a lot more item/skill/stat combinations for me. Also not risking the best items you have farmed probably for a really, really long. Still I don't doubt that getting a Guardian is most likely a lot more rewarding. Would like to do some of those too for a change at some point :)

T72on1 likes this.
  5. pharphis

pharphis IncGamers Site Pal

The thing I like about SC is the part where you don't lose your OP items like 1.07 blood rings. *sigh*

coju, fearedbliss and Grape like this.
  6. fearedbliss

fearedbliss IncGamers Member

@pharphis I detect some reminiscing going on?

coju likes this.
  7. coju

coju IncGamers Member

I play HC where you just blast through and think about the consequences after they happen.

fearedbliss and pharphis like this.
  8. pharphis

pharphis IncGamers Site Pal

I will only return if FoH cooldown is lowered or remvoed :D