Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Softcore Pking

Discussion in 'Diablo 2 Community Forum' started by Vindictive, Apr 1, 2005.

1. Vindictive

Vindictive IncGamers Member

Softcore Pking

What do you guys think about it? They do it in Hardcore and its considered to be a pretty neutral act, as in its fair game because people can do it to you and you do it to other people. So I thought why not do some of it in softcore for a bit of fun and to keep all those norm baal run people on their toes.

Just finished my low level pk charger with a max damage of 602 (he is level 12) already got a few kills though people don't seem to be to fond of people killing them while they are trying to level.

Basically, question is: Is sc pking alrite? Or should I just go to hc if I wanna play that game? :D

Vindi

2. krischan

krischan Europe Trade Moderator

I despise PKers.

It might be normal for childrean or teenagers to display cruelty or rude behaviour in one or another way, but IMO, from a certain age on it's a serious character flaw to have fun in abusing others who just want to be left alone.

Diablo would be much nicer (at least for me) if you have to decide at L9 if your character is meant to attack others. That decision would be final and permanent for that character. If decide for yes, he can PK and be PKed. If no, it's the other way around. I would have "no" characters exclusively.

3. Spawn of God

Spawn of God IncGamers Member

yep

basically pking is only for hardcore, because when they die its permanent. if u go around killing ppl in softcore, they just get thier body and start ranting at u. anyway if u wanna kill players on softcore find a duel game or something

4. Vindictive

I do duel, alot as a matter of fact, just wanted to do something a little different from normal diablo.
    I understand that they die and just fetch their bodies, thats why I kill them once take ear and save and exit. Basically its a challenge for me I just want to see how many and the highest level ears I can get.
    Point is if people can't handle 1 death at a low level and have to swear and scream about it then they shouldn't be playin a game. Game = fun. At least if someone PK'ed me ONCE I wouldn't be particularly bothered, I would just continue with whatever I was doing once they left.

5. Spawn of God

Spawn of God IncGamers Member

yep

guess ur rite...lol i have a trap sin on nl that collects ears too...she kills lvl 99's the funny thing is all the lvl 99's shes killed r zons...wierd. Also my fire sorc kills baal bots lol...i think its funny to mess up thier exp...they should not use bots

6. Dawnmaster

Dawnmaster IncGamers Member

I'm having a lot of problems believing this part: "They do it in Hardcore and its considered to be a pretty neutral act, as in its fair game because people can do it to you and you do it to other people."

Now I've tried hardcore before, and I've never gotten any further than lvl14 because some Pk'er from lvl30 or even 60 OR EVEN 80 comes in and randomly starts killing people. I fail to see the fairness in this.

Now some may say, fun? Well, imagine in reallife you're training KungFu and you really try your best, and one day someone comes along and shoots your brains out. Sure it's fun for that person, but you don't like, do you?

7. ScruffyhawkIII

ScruffyhawkIII IncGamers Member

dawnmaster, play private games. fixed.

8. Vindictive

I think you'll find, for me and people in the HC forum here, its like lvl 9/12/15/18 pk'er trying to pk level 25+ people. I still don't see a problem with that.

9. LorveN

LorveN D3 Off Topic Moderator

thumbrule: Never kill people with lower level than your own. Its funnier to take out those that are 10, 20 or even 90 levels higher, and then just answer to their "WTF?!!111!!1":s with some random ugly smiley :teeth:
    If you die, you do it as a hero!

Exceptions: It gets hard to find someone to kill when high level, so you must use brains to decide whats fair and not. Lvl 90's killing 85's wouldnt make me cry, for instance. And to prevent 99's from killing, how rude isnt that when someone has sacrificed 12 hours/day for reaching it? :p

Botters have an invicible sign that says "pk me".

10. happyfamine

happyfamine IncGamers Member

sc pking is lame because no one in sc worries about it. it's like a hunter going to a ranch and shooting sheep. hc players are on the lookout and are much harder targets. there will even be pkkers around. if you just want to be an asshole, pk in sc. (bot killing aside, more power to you guys). if you want a real challenge, pk in hc.

11. Vindictive

Yea, your right. It is too easy in softcore to pk as people just swear once and thats it. Though alot of people do do the "your sooo dead noob!!!one!!11!!" and try kill me, then they die, and fetch level 80 mf sorc to own me.
    Tbo though I think I will just start playing hardcore, no idea if I will be able to handle it though :rolleyes:

12. Matt

Matt IncGamers Site Pal

Oh I'm sure you will, hardcore is a blast... especially pking and dueling. Yeah, I'm a hardcore pker, and yes, I'm one of the ones you mentioned from the hardcore forum, who pk's people of a higher level, I dont go hunting level 9's with my level 87 sorceress or something.

You should give hardcore pking a try, its really quite fun, but beware, be prepared to die if you duel, as most duelers know what they're doing, and are not PvMers fooling around in a duel game, and theres always the risk of being PKKed (which is just fine by me at any level, if I hostile someone, they can come try to kill me, and I wont complain, regardless of level)

Hit me up at *Talarra if you're moving to East Ladder Hardcore!

-Matt

13. Sokar Rostau

Sokar Rostau IncGamers Member

I havn't seen too much SC PKing since .09, but very high level PKers are around at certain times of the season. For people that play competetively on the ladder they are a danger and more than a nuisance. One SC death at lvl 95 - 99 and you have as much work, if not more, to regain your experience than if you were a lvl 85 in HC. This happens when people are racing to be top of their class or the first to 99 but it seems to be most common towards the end of the season, which means you will see more of it soon. At the end of last season, when it was announced that the top 10 of each class would be 'immortalised' the positions of players changed on an hourly basis, on some days, because of this.

If a Paladin, Barb, Zon or Sorc comes into a Baalrun and hostiles just laugh, they may think they own in a pvp room, but for Baal PK their attacks are useless. The point of a Baal PK is to deprive a character of experience thereby losing their position on the ladder so Necros, Druids and especially Asns are the ones to look out for.

With the use of Enoobma, a Necro can tele into the throne room and cast Iron Maiden instantly killing all melee characters in the game. A Druid, if he's really fast, can go Rabid on one of the monsters, the Rabies then spreads to other players which soon die. Both of these methods are very rarely used (and spreading Rabies is particularly difficult, if not impossible, in a Baalrun), the most common, and potentially dangerous, is the Assassin. The Assassin (sometimes even literally a Paid Assassin) teles into the throne room and Mind Blasts everyone into helplessness while the monsters kill them.

These three methods all result in the loss of experience adding up to days of running for the very high level Baalrunner. A well oiled group of runners will be able to set up a defence quickly and easily and hopefully kill the PKer before he reaches the Throneroom...but not always. The problem is that the defenders have nothing to lose because they tend to be away from the spawning area and so are in little danger of losing experience, but if the PKer can breach the defences (and with Enoobma this can be pretty easy) and Mindblast those that are still engaged with, especially, Minions of Destruction that's when things get bad because reclaiming your body can be damn hard when people have fled the game (closing the TP) and Lister is sniffing your corpse.

I sure as hell hope I havn't given anyone some new ideas because myself and a few of my very high level friends have all been a victim of this at one time or another.

14. Vindictive

Yea gonna start soon me thinks, on Europe though so gonna be kicking some *** on my lonesome :rolleyes:

One thing, told my brother I was going hardcore and he said "Be careful not to die" :uhhuh:

15. sahlakh

sahlakh IncGamers Member

PK'ing in softcore is waste of time for the obvious reasons - no challenge, no rewards.

Softcore is turorial or training phase to hardcore, where the game begins. The game needs to end to something, in this case, a permanent death. This is without being cocky or thinking softcore players are inferior; everyone can play the game in their way, but still can't help thinking what softies miss.

16. Cooked

Cooked IncGamers Member

Some people justify PK when their character level is the same or lower than their target. Seems to make sence until you realize that in softcore and hardcore some characters are specialized for magic find, gold find or some such, and not good at defending themselves. I think, if you must PK, you should go hostle but then give those who want, a chance to go to town or leave the game. I know this takes some of the fun out of the experience but is much more considerate than just catching people totally unprepared.

In softcore once, a chargadin, level 44, entered a game, partied to locate everyone then went hostle. I had a level 17 sassy using a bow and was his first target. He was stunned when he died before he could even hit me but then......he didn't know I was enchanted and doing abouyt 2k damage with a very fast attack. Now that would have been really funny if it was hardcore!!!

17. raphiel20

raphiel20 IncGamers Member

Lower levels taking out higher levels imo is fair game, the thing with sc games though is you usually end up with the two extremes leveling. The first being a really easy kill because the persons either being rushed or is leeching and thus hasn't equiped decent items as their only waiting for their final items. Or you get the charecter thats been entirely muled out, all gear brought over for the max dmg a char at lvl can reach.
    I don't pk, i've taken out my fair few and congratulated the ones that took me out in fair manner. But its the pk'rs who are about 40 levels higher than you that get on your nerves :rolleyes:
    Its no real damage in sc to pk, so they lose a little gold and a small bit of experiance which they can gather back in another few runs. This is the reason people generally get annoyed (swearing etc) because its sc, they jsut want to rush up as fast as they can equip the items and either go dueling or pking themselves (latter usually the type who go hunting lower levels) and you've cost them time in achieving this goal sooner.

18. Matt

Matt IncGamers Site Pal

I do give people time to get out. Unless they're standing 3 feet into the sewers out outside town or something, they have at least 10 seconds to escape, because I've gotta wait to take the waypoint.

19. Cooked

Cooked IncGamers Member

There is a delay which helps, unless you have a really slow computer and connection like I had. Gee, it took me 20 to 30 seconds sometimes even when there wasn't any lag. Just stupid, but...now I have cable and a fast computer...wheeeeee.

Say...what are your account names? Not the one with the good character but the other ones, that I might have a chance at wining at Pk. You know, your weak characters. Wink wink.

Good hunting!!

20. Jimi-

Jimi- IncGamers Member

chase, incase your goin to hc pking ill gladly hook you up with some max jewels and such,

i consider myself a lame pker cause i find it just as amusing killing a lvl 15 as killing a lvl 51, they should be smart enough to leave the game instead of letting me chase them through sewer lvl 1/2/3 or all the way through frigid highlands