Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Soem noob questions on Diablo and Sockets

Discussion in 'Newcomer Forum' started by RobO, Mar 18, 2004.

1. RobO

RobO IncGamers Member

Soem noob questions on Diablo and Sockets

I'm single playing a Paladin, at level 27 and concentrating on Concentration and Zeal. I'm at the point where I can go for Diablo in that Terror Hall (having done all the other quests), but I'm concerned that I'm not powerful enough to do so. What do you think?

It doesn't seem to be possible to go back from Act 4 to one of the previous acts. Is that true?

I haven't been able to get a real good weapon and my armor could probably need an upgrade too. I have several runes and gems taking up way too much space, but no place to put them. I don't seem to turn up any useful socketed weapons (I have a Rogue hireling) or armor as loot. Is that simply a case of bad luck? I'd really like to have a good scepter with Zeal and/or Concentration and as many sockets as possible. The vendors don't seem to sell any socketed stuff in act 4, and I don't seem to be able to gamble for scepters.

What's the best way to get better equipment? Keep banging more monsters on those hellish plains? Trading is not really an option as I play singleplayer.

2. innorton38

innorton38 IncGamers Member

to go back to previous acts go to the waypoint in town (pandemonium fortress) and click on the roman numerals at the top of the window. Then just select any of the waypoint from previous acts. To get better items in single player, just kill kill kill. I'd sell any of the gems you've found (unless they are perfect or flawless) because gems are pretty easy to come by so there's need to hoard them until you actually need them. They just take up too much stash space. Good luck.

3. weregamer

weregamer IncGamers Member

If you feel underpowered, beam back to an earlier act and set /players 8. That will make the monsters tougher but worth more experience.

If you are playing single-player, there are still options for trading if you really want to. I don't tend to trade, but I use ATMA to keep all the cool stuff I find but can't use with one character, to give to my other or future characters, collect sets for the fun of it, etc.

If you want more info on the /players setting or ATMA, or just lots of conversation and advice on playing single-player, check out the Single Player forum in the D2 Strategy forums section of this site.

4. RobO

RobO IncGamers Member

Thanks, I might just try going back to the Flayer Jungle with /players set. I have ATMA, and I use it to stash stuff that don't have the heart to sell, but I'm not all that keen on "cheating" by giving stuff to my other character(s). I suppose I could set up a "honest" ;) trade instead. But the Pally is my first character, I have just been experimenting a bit with a necromancer who's around lvl 6.

I wanted to complete a game just this once (always seem to want to try some other character before I complete), so I have been working my way pretty directly towards the final quest instead of starting several characters. But I gather from the stuff I read that Diablo is quite difficult. A shield with two good diamonds would be a great help as would a scepter with a scull or perhaps two.

And I have checked out the single player forum. I judged that this question was more noob than single player, so placed it here. Would it be more appropriate to move over there? There are so many forums, it can be difficult to see the difference.

5. skilledlord

skilledlord IncGamers Member

you should be able to get some answers there also.

and go look at some low lvl ruenwords, they are pretty nice

6. RobO

RobO IncGamers Member

I will. I have it printed out and am pretty much ready to go. I have ca. 6 different runes by now. But I need something to stick those runes into.

I tried one, I think it was Nef+Tir - that was a mistake. -33% gold and -3 light radus aren't exactly great advantages, and the missile defense seems fairly useless for my Paladin. Perhaps I could give it to my faithful Rogue - I assume her gold modifier only affects the targets she kills and that the light radius modifier doesn't apply to her. Is that correct?

7. Fercil

Fercil IncGamers Member

Gold modifier affects only things she kills, I'm not sure about the light radius as it might reduce the range she can see but it definetely doesn't affect you.

8. Herald of Doom

Herald of Doom IncGamers Member

On lvl 27 you should be able to kill diablo if you use any of these runewords:

Holy Thunder (scepter)
    EthRalOrtTal

-HUGE lightning res, so you wont have a problem with his lightning attack
    -adds a decent amount of enhanced dmg (60%)+fire and lightning dmg

Honor (sword axe mace hammer scepter spear polearm )
    AmnElIthTirSol

-super stats,best low lvl runeword imho but sol and amn are a bit rare then holy thunder runes. Can be used in act 5 and beyond too if you place it in a weapon with decent dmg and speed

And my favorite diablo killer:

King's Grace (sword scepter)
    AmnRalThul

+100% Enhanced Damage
    +150 to Attack Rating
    7% Life Stolen per Hit
    +100% Damage to Demon
    Adds 3-14 Cold

and more. Diablo killer :)

for the shield, try to fill a shield with some diamond as you said, until you free the soldiers in act 5 (or whenever you have ral+ort+tal). Put those in a paladin shield with resist and you have a shield you could use throughout nightmare.

armor: Tal+eth . Very common runes, and you get a really nice armor. It's better for a caster, but the 25%fhr and 25%frw help a lot. Or try finding a 4 socket armor with high defense that you can wear and fill it with jewel/runes/gems that have the best stats for you.

I don't know if you can shop for socketed stuff in normal difficulty, I've never really done it, if not, just kill monsters so that you gain xp+perhaps a socketed armor/weapon :)
    I hope that helped ;)

9. jiansonz

jiansonz IncGamers Member

For a good cheap weapon (my favourite in Normal), waypoint back to Lut Gholein and keep pestering Fara until she sells you a 2-socketed Flail and go make 'Steel' (Tir+El) in it. Great speed, decent damage, Open Wounds, etc.

Against Diablo, the most important things are high resistances to fire and lightning, a willingness to move away from his most damaging attacks (the Firestorm and the Lightning Inferno (aka 'Pink Flamethrower of Doom')), to drink healing potions and to not be afraid to go back to town as often as you need. Try to move away from Diablo´s visual range before casting a Town Portal, as he likes to block you from entering it by casting Bone Prison on it.

10. jiansonz

jiansonz IncGamers Member

You can shop socketed non-magical (grey) items in act 1 and 2 Normal.

Artisan´s items (magical prefix that gives 3 sockets (if the item allows it)) can be bought in act 5 with a character that is level 28+, but they are not common to find for sale.

11. RobO

RobO IncGamers Member

Thanks for all that good stuff.

I have Ral, Eld, 2 Eth, Ith, 2 El, 2 Nef, Tir, Thul. So, I can make Steel, but not the others - yet.

12. dang79

dang79 IncGamers Member

Sorry, note that artisans, jeweller's ane mechanics prefixed socketed items are no good for making runewords. They won't work. You gotta have grey items, not blue.

13. RobO

RobO IncGamers Member

More good stuff, thanks.

I went through some of the Flayer Jungle at /players 5 and found a useful 3-socket mace with extra damage that allowed me to make Malice (Ith+El+Eth) - that's a pretty good start even if it ain't perfect. I just hope that all those nifty effects work on Diablo. I was actually level 26 before, now 27. I still need a good shield, though, my fire resistance isn't all that good. Perhaps I should take a look at those waypoints around the monastery that I didn't open up in the run through Act 1.

14. Gorny

Gorny Banned

If you can manage the runes make a Ral-Ort-Tal for your shield. You may want to do some Travinical runs for a while as well with /players x set as high as you can handle.

15. magejames_04

magejames_04 Banned

excuse me but where do you get ATMA from?

16. RobO

RobO IncGamers Member

17. RobO

RobO IncGamers Member

Just to finish the story (in case anyone is interested) - I tried several places and eventually found a Heraldic Shield with 3 sockets in the Temple leading up to Tal Rasha's Tomb. That was in fact a pretty good place for socketed items - perhaps I just got lucky. I added a Perfect and a Flawless Diamond (+33 all resistances) and a Flawless Amethyst (+24 defense) and that did the trick together with my Malice Mace. I had to go "refuel" once (health potions) though, while finishing off Diablo. I had some problems taking out some of the seal bosses, as I got caught in a corner and died, but some running around and some patience solved that.

Oh, btw my Paladin is at level 30 now.

The ironic part is that I found several good socketed items in the Chaos Sanctuary, including a Kite Shield with 3 sockets, so I might have gotten what I wanted by going in directly instead. It could be just random fluctuatons - hard to tell.

Now I have a choice btw. Act 5 with my Paladin and trying out a Skelliemancer.