Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Socketing those sets/uniques

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by trihero, Sep 24, 2006.

1. trihero

trihero IncGamers Member

Socketing those sets/uniques

I was just wondering if you guys have any experience socketing some of the items like Spirit Forge (unique armor, 2 sockets), Natalya's Shadow (set armor, 3 sockets), Rune Master (unique axe, 3-5 sockets), black hades (unique armor, 3 sockets).

I can never decide what to put in them and partly it's because there's better items to use haha but mostly because I can't decide. I don't have high level runes or particularly great jewels, so no chams or zods, so I was just wondering if you guys had any experience or ideas. Triple orts maybe to deal with gloams :D

2. druidkid9

druidkid9 IncGamers Member

Put want you need into the sockets. If your down on resist then place an Um rune in there or even a perfect gem for some nice resis. If you need IAS place an ias jewl with other mods in that socket. It is really up to you.

3. FrostBurn

FrostBurn IncGamers Member

Exactly what druidkid9 said.

For Nat's armour, it's only really useful when used with the whole set, and the whole set is best used for a Phoenix Striker. Socket with Ums if you can afford it, or Rals, Orts, Thuls or Tals for a specific boost to your resistances. Any spare sockets after that can be socketed with pRubies for more life. Some nice jewels are also an option.

4. trihero

trihero IncGamers Member

I think I'll mass El and Eld runes for light radius and less stamina drain! :scratch:

5. Suiling

Suiling Banned

THis thread come out just in time, i was thinking off making a thread asking people what to socket for my merc's Hone Sundan Yari. 3 socket, what to put so that he can help me to kill things faster?

6. druidkid9

druidkid9 IncGamers Member

there is a whole heap you can do to make your merc kill faster. A shael would increase the speed meaning he will kill faster, Ed jewel, max damage jewel etc..... there are alot of things you can do but i will say it again it is up to you. :)

7. Suiling

Suiling Banned

hmm... so shael increase his attack speed.. and some jewels... ok, i'll let you know the results and i socket it, via PM or here...

8. Kylome

Kylome IncGamers Member

Hone Sundan = shael shael amn

9. damaris

damaris IncGamers Member

socket it with shael shael ber
    and your sundan will become a really badass
    or if you dont have any ber rune, just replace it with amn like Kylome said.

10. trihero

trihero IncGamers Member

Sometimes I think it might be good idea to socket the hone sundan with a poison jewel/rune/gem. When you're on players 8 in hell, sometimes if you have a weaker build the enemies regenerate really fast, and it's nice to have your merc preventing that regen. There are other options like wearing the blackhorn helm or preventing the heal through your own skills, etc, but socketing hone sundan with a poison filler is an option to keep in mind.

11. sirpoopsalot

sirpoopsalot IncGamers Member

IMO, it should depend upon your build somewhat - if you rely upon the merc to make a lot of kills, this may make sense. However, if you're playing a characther that collects 90+% of the monster kills with only a few 'leftovers' for the merc, then you probably want to use your sockets based upon what'll help keep the merc alive (so you can kill everything while he acts as a shield).

@Suiling. I think that the attack breakpoints (more commonly known as IAS) for an Act2 merc with an Hone Sundan are 20% and 37%. If your merc can get +Life Leech from the helm or armor, I'd choose 2 Shael's and an Amn (giving you 40 IAS and 7% Life Leech). If the mercs armor/helm do not have any additional Life Leech, I'd use 1 Shael and 2 Amn's (giving you 20% IAS and 14% Life Leech).

That's just my opinion though.

12. Delreich

Delreich IncGamers Member

Further breakpoints are at 63 and 105, so Treachery and ShaelAmnAmn Hone would be quite pretty too.
    That gets you the poison as well, through Venom.

Oh, and Trihero: PMH doesn't work from merc equipment.

13. RIP

RIP IncGamers Member

Because i am now playing the untwincked grail tourney with my trapper, i had same trouble with socketing this weapon for my merc.At the end, i decide socket two 15 ias jewels and one AMN rune (i dont have many Shaels).My merc have also Tal Rasha Horadric crest and Crow caw armor, so this is enough ias and LL, i think...

14. trihero

trihero IncGamers Member

Good thing I said to socket sundan with poison damage then? :D

15. Delreich

Delreich IncGamers Member

You mentioned blackhorns, and I assumed you ment for it to be on merc...
    Anyway, in case someone didn't already know, now they do.

16. wangnala

wangnala IncGamers Member

I thought PMH (Blackhorn's Face, etc.) on merc's don't work?