Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Socketing - requirements?

Discussion in 'Theorycrafting and Statistics' started by krisjeh, May 26, 2008.

1. krisjeh

krisjeh IncGamers Member

Socketing - requirements?

I have a small question. If I socket an item with a gem/rune that is LOWER than the base item itself, is the str/dex or clvl req going to change?

Examples :
    1) I have a 4os sword with a str requirement of say 40 and clvl of 18. Say I socket it with 4 tal runes. Tal rune has the clvl req of 15. Does the item's clvl req stay at 18? Does the str req change?

2) I have a 4os sword with a str requirement of 30 and clvl 13. I socket it with 4 tal runes, now does the item automatically have the clvl requirement of 15 now since that is what a tal rune requires? Also does the str req change?

2. sweetalmonds

sweetalmonds IncGamers Member

Re: Socketing - requirements?

1)yes item lvl requirements will never be lowered, only way to change str/dex req is -15%req jewel, hel or if it's ethereal.

2)It will go up in lvl requirement if you socketed with rune/jem/jewel that has higher requirements.

3. ProfessionalBerg

ProfessionalBerg IncGamers Member

No, both the required lvl and stats for an item are based on the HIGHEST component.

For example, you have a hat that requires level 3 to wear. You socket it with a Zod rune (yeah, I know :rolleyes:) that has a rlvl of 69. The hat will then have rlvl 69. It works the other way, too - if the socket is lower rlvl than the base item, the rlvl will still be the rlvl of the base item.

No socketables actually INCREASE the str/dex requirements of an item, however, there exist certain socketables that somehow lower/negate the requirements.

For example, there exists the Hel rune. It has no level requirement, and socketing it into an armor, helm or shield will reduce the said item's BOTH strength and dex requirements by 15%. In weapons, it reduces said requirements even better, 20%. The effect is cumulative, so socketing 5 Hel runes in a 5-socketed weapon will completely eliminate requirements. Not that any freak would waste 5 slots on Hel runes. Note that Hel runes do NOT lower level requirements.

Then there are the -req jewels. They provide -15% req for anything they are socketed in (including weapons), however, they have the advantage of having additional mods (a prefix if it's a magic one, or 3 more mods if it's a rare one). The jewels do not reduce required lvl either.

Ethereal items get -10 str/dex, as well.

Then there are stat jewels: +str and +dex. While they do not reduce requirements, they can provide you with enough stats to equip OTHER stat-increasing gear, thus creating a kind of requirement chain, where each item supports the requirements for the next one.

[EDIT]: Owned.

4. helvete

helvete IncGamers Member

Then again, there's always upped items. The +5 or +7 lvl req (or +12 for twice upped) will come on top of the highest component. So, a ethereal crystal sword with a lvl req of 48 will be req 53 when upped once. Upped again, it wil have lvl req 66 because a phase blade has a lvl req of 54, and 54 +5 +7 is 66. However, socket it with a Cham rune (lvl req 67 IIRC) and the lvl req will rise to 79.