Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Socketing Reaper's Toll

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by Day, May 31, 2005.

1. Day

Day IncGamers Member

Socketing Reaper's Toll

Hi all,

I was lucky enough to find one of these and was wondering what people normally socket in it?

It will be an act 2 merc weapon.

My first thought was Shael but the improvements look pretty marginal (0.2 of an attack per second)- I can't see me getting another source of IAS:

Character Mercenary - Act 2
    Weapon Thresher
    Skill Jab
    IAS Frames per attack Attacks per second
    0 % 7.5 3.3
    8 % 7 3.5
    22 % 6.5 3.8
    44 % 6 4.1
    75 % 5.5 4.5
    142 % 5 5

I guess Amn for life leech would always be a decent choice (I tend to use Vampire Gaze on my act 2 Mmercs) at the moment so Amn would be nice but not essential.

I don't have much in the way of Jewels - one tempts me - its plus 38% damage. Of course, a +15% IAS/40% enchanced damage is better but I've never found anything remotely that good! I only have runes to Pul.

I'd welcome any views/suggestions.

Thanks for your time.

Day

2. Chimaira

Chimaira IncGamers Member

Damn those 2% IAS:( You could use Andariels Visage or Stealskull, both are quite decent...or socket your armor/helm with 15% IAS jewel. Otherwise a trusty Amn rune is always good.

3. whomhead

whomhead IncGamers Member

Best would be some sort of interesting Jewel of Fervor into the Reapers and into the Armor and into the Helm. Hitting that last 44% BP will be very helpful. Best bets would be resists/IAS, AR/IAS for bosses that ITD wont work on, or ED/IAS.

4. pharaoh

pharaoh IncGamers Member

My advice would be to slap in something like an Amn rune or resist jewel at this point. You don't want to drop in something hard to find, like that %ED jewel, unless you're sure it will stay. Remember, if you socket it with something common, you can always unsocket it; Hel runes and town portal scrolls aren't exactly hard to come by.

Another possible option (use this if you rely on your merc to actually kill things that you can't, such as immune monsters) is to slap in an Um rune if you have a spare. Open wounds prevents the healing of monsters for its duration, and I've been told that the 'prevent monster heal' mod doesn't work with mercs. Before you do this, you would do well to gauge the effect by slapping either Crow Caw or Boneflesh on your merc, as these armors offer the OW mod without you needing to burn a somewhat rare rune. As a bonus, Crow Caw has a bit of IAS on it, which might help you reach that 44 IAS breakpoint (Shael in Reaper's, 15 IAS from Crow Caw, and 10+ from another source, like Stealskull, Andariel's Visage, or an IAS jewel).

5. Day

Day IncGamers Member

Thanks all for the replies - some food for thought here.

Its a very awkward IAS Table I think.

I'm not sure I want to bend all the Merc's gear for IAS - I think I still need some CB and damage reduction (if I can get it) - Think I'll stuff an Amn in for now and resocket when I find something better. As said an Amn 9and possibly a hel) is not too much to waste - i don't have an um spare at the moment (to tell the truth I've only ever found one and its been used).

Thanks for the thoughts - I'll see what else I can find!

Cheers.

Day

6. SeDnA

SeDnA IncGamers Member

I'd say use a steal skull, put a 15ias jewel into the helm and slap a shael in reapers.

7. Day

Day IncGamers Member

I've never seen a jewel with IAS (unfourtunately) outside of the items found thread!

8. supermatt

supermatt IncGamers Member

i'm usually reluctant to spend socketing quests on mercs <_<

if you need a Jewel of Fervor leave your email address here

:) matt

9. Artagas

Artagas IncGamers Member

if you are doing at the right ilvl/clvl your chanches of getting a jewel with IAS on it are decent.
    5.4% for ilvl=clvl=39, if you want a chanche to get the ruby prefix on it though you'd have to roll at a higher level and thus have worse chanche for IAS.

10. DeathMaster

DeathMaster IncGamers Member

These IAS jewels are easy to find. I have collected considerable number of "useless" jewels including 15%IAS.

It is very hard to get ED and IAS both, but to find IAS only jewel is easy, I don't think most people will keep them, since their only use is to craft.

11. supermatt

they're very useful in getting a Windyzon to 8/2 since ED%/15ias jewels are soooo hard to come by.

<_< matt

12. DeathMaster

Yes, I know, but most people consider 15%IAS without 2nd mod is useless...

IMO, the best jewel for bowzon is 15%IAS/15% res all.

13. supermatt

yeah, but that's about as common as a Ruby Jewel of Fervor...

i have a 34%ED/%IAS and i've never seen a Res All/IAS jewel - sometimes you just gotta use what you got.

i have .09 and 1.10 Windyzons in plain 60%IAS armor of Squid/Colossus/whatevers. 2 WFs and i'm using plain 15%IAS jewels cos i haven't got any better

:teeth: matt

14. DeathMaster

Well ruby jewel of fervor (fire res/IAS) isn't hard to find, it is hard to find ruby jewel of fervor ... You know what I mean

15. Day

Day IncGamers Member

Supermatt thanks for the offer but I'm only using stuff one of my character's finds (self found?). Aside from that I freely mule items amongst my characters.

I'm not short on socketing quests at the moment as I have quite a few characters but not that much top quality gear or socketables! I probably have at least dozen or so spare. :lol:

Deathmaster I guess it depends on how much you play. I have 4 Mats/Pats now (and have played a heap of characters which didn't make it past NM) and have yet to find one. I know form your other threads you have played much more than me!

I guess it's all luck - when I look at the item wanted threads I see people chasing items I have and am now selling to the vendor even though it looks like they get to play a lot more than me eg. Shako's and skill charms seem to be easy for me!

Artagas are you re-rolling jewels? I haven't tried this - had a brief go once trying to get skill charms - but found it easier to find them than roll them. Is it three pgems to re-roll?

16. supermatt

yup. 3 pgems to reroll

ok. just offering

if you have EVER sold a Harley Shako to a vendor i will cry! Skill charms too - ATMA - keep it!

:rant: matt

17. Day

Day IncGamers Member

Supermatt the offer was very kind and appreciated.

I currently have a spare Shako - not used - I figured I'd have one and a spare. Any new ones I'd planed to sell. I'm also keeping spares of socketable uniques such as Natalyas (dodgy spelling) armour - eg. I found three in a week (nothing else much good) - 2 with 3 sockets and 1 with two - sold the two sockets - don't see the point in keeping anymore!

Skill charms I've muled never know when they will come in handy - its funny I had none at all and then I found 8 or 9 very quickly (I don't get to play all that much) but found them all over a couple of weeks.

As I don't trade I have no real reason to keep spares as I tend to play one character at a time and once finished that's it move onto a new character. The exception is my necro who I MF with when I'm too tired to play seriously.

I did think of creating a mule with spare stuff on it to give away but I don't use ATMA. I have it installed but haven't had the time to get into it (I don't have much spare time to play). I currently mule by having two machines. One with characters on it the other with mules - I have two complete copies of the game as I hoped my wife might play. :lol: Mind you its not perfect I deleted a Wizard Spike (the only one I've seen) by mistake last week and although i have no current intention of making a hammerdin it still hurts a bit.

I have downloaded the grail spreadsheet and am using it to keep only stuff I haven't found (unless its a weapon as I might have a two handed barb or something which I might want to socket in different ways or something I might want on a character and on a Merc at the same time or an eth item to go on a Merc). I do double check to see that i'm keeping the best versions where stats are variable.

Because I'm not using ATMA I don't see how I can give stuff away - I could simply e-mail a mule's character files but don't think people would want this?

Other stuff I'm currently chucking is Grand charms on the way to Baal since i gave up on the re-rolling they are no use to me. I think they are quite sought after for re-rolling?

Don't get me wrong I'm not rich on items - I just seem to find lots of some and none of others (the Reaper's Toll was a major find for me (and I'm very pleased with the first and onlyhone sudan I found a month ago) but I know from these boards that to many its not even rare)!

18. Llathias

Llathias Banned

no matter how poor you are itemwise, it gives you great pleasure to see people celebrating stuff like Death's Guard, Pelta Lunata, Arctic Furs, Lenymo, Biggin's Bonnet all of which i found throughout gameplay (and i sold a Gnasher). mind you, i don't have that many characters and play normal on p1!!! :lol:

19. HBeachBabe

HBeachBabe IncGamers Member

personally, I never found the need to socket a Reaper's. It does quite well on it's own without burning a socketing quest