Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Socketing items Question.

Discussion in 'Theorycrafting and Statistics' started by Feetstench, Mar 17, 2005.

1. Feetstench

Feetstench IncGamers Member

Socketing items Question.

Eviscerate me if you've heard this before.

I had heard that if you take a cracked/damaged item and fix it usig the cube recipie, that it will spawn the Max #of sockets for the weapon type. If so what effect will using the cube again to roll for magical properties?

Is it possible to Fix a crack Hydra bow, roll with gems untill you get a pestilant bow. then have Larzuk add 6 sockets to it?

2. superdave

superdave IncGamers Member

when you repair a damaged item using the cube recipe the ilvl of the item is RESET to 1

3. helvete

helvete IncGamers Member

Magic items can't have more than 4 sockets, and that is from "Jewelers" prefix. The cube recipe to repair low quality items sets item level to 1 and therefore would not give max sockets in all cases. Elite items always give max sockets when given to larzuk (i may be wrong there) because when ilvl<qlvl the qlvl is used instead, and most elites have a high qlvl.

4. BFD

BFD IncGamers Member

5. Thrugg

Thrugg IncGamers Member

Not you personally but I will eviscerate your post. There are several misconceptions to clear up.

As superdave said, those recipes will set the item to have ilvl 1. It will produce a non-magical "white" item. It will not give the item sockets.

There are two ways to socket a non-magical item without sockets. You can use a Larzuk quest reward to do it, or you can use another cube recipe.

Larzuk will always give the maximum number of sockets that an item can have at that level. The cube will give a random number.

The max an item can have depends on its level. A mostly (not completely) accurate list is behind BFD's link. Generally, a level 1 item will have a lower max than the item can get at higher levels. The reason people do the low-quality repairing trick is not to get the most sockets an item can get, it is to get 3 or 4 sockets to make a particular runeword, which is normally a 1/6 chance.

The item will be white, and no cube recipes will take a white item and make it magical. If you mean, socket it first then use the 3 standard gem recipe to make it magical+socketed, then that recipe will always set the item level back to 30. Furthermore, no matter how many sockets the item has to begin with, that recipe will only result in a new item with 1 or 2 (random) sockets.

No, for at least three reasons.

6. Feetstench

Feetstench IncGamers Member

So even if i roll a hydra to Pestilant (without the Jewelers prefix) Larzuk will max out at 4 sockest because it is magical?

7. Thrugg

Thrugg IncGamers Member

If you give Larzuk a magical item, he will only ever give you 1 or 2 (equal chance of each) sockets.

A magic item can't have both Jeweler's and Pestilent at the same time (although it can have Jeweler's and a suffix).

So, there is no way to get a 6 socket Pestilent Hydra Bow.

8. jiansonz

jiansonz IncGamers Member

The best you can do is a 2-socket Pestilent Hydra Bow of Anthrax. It´s actually possible (but unlikely) to roll one with the 3 chipped/regular/flawless gem recipes.

If you socket such a bow with 2 Tal runes, you will reach a poison rate of about 102 damage/second, which is only marginally higher than the ~90/s a plain 6*Tal bow provides.

9. krischan

krischan Europe Trade Moderator

Hmm, I don't understand what's so good about a poison bow. In case it's meant to exploit the poison duration bug with respect to missile weapons, as specified in the Tao of Poison: That bug has been fixed with the 1.10 patch.

10. helvete

helvete IncGamers Member

Huh? Can you really not see it? A good poison bow will turn monsters green!!!

11. krischan

Either I'm overlooking something obvious or there is a hidden camera somewhere or my irony/sarcasm detector has a problem...

12. helvete

helvete IncGamers Member

You do not understand! (in the voice of Kosh, the vorlon from Babylon 5)

A good poison bow will make monsters green for a longer time! Not everyone can afford a 390 small charm. So then a good poison bow is next to best.

Making monsters blue is easy, but you have to be a paladin. He has an AWSOME aura that will turn almost all monsters blue!

Now, there are rumors of desert monsters that turn red, but this has not been confirmed.

Some rare monsters called champions (or other variations) can have even more colours!

The best would be to play a necromancer and max out mages! They turn some monsters blue, and some monsters green!

13. krischan

I still don't feel any smarter *scratching head while the audience is laughing*

14. itsPizzarific

itsPizzarific Banned

im totally confused / slightly amused also kris, dont worry o_0

the only reason i would use a huge poison damage bow would be on the switch, to get the first hit on every monster with strafe or multi or something, before switching to my normal bow

that actually might be effective.