Latest Diablo 3 News
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Socketing Issues - 'Can't stick it in'

Discussion in 'Diablo 2 Patch Bug Reports & Suggestions' started by Incubi, Jun 11, 2005.

1. Incubi

Incubi Diabloii.Net Member

Socketing Issues - 'Can't stick it in'

I've played this game for quite a while, I suppose, but about a year ago, I took a rather long break, and now I'm starting anew with a couple of friends. We're just playing via TCP/IP amongst eachother as it is now, and it's all been fine and dandy except for a few surprises I got ie. Random Monster Spawn, etc.

But anyway, to the point, yes. I did a quick check through this forum, and I didn't see anything about it ( might still be there, I'm not the best at searching for things ) . Basically what I'm wondering about is if there's been a new edit about requirements for entering the various gems/runes/Jewels into the socketed items. This I ask because I, at several occasions, have not been able to do so. And it is not that I can't use the runes, or anything like that, I've tried with anything from Zods to Chipped gems to jewels, but nothing.

Anyone care to enlighten silly ol' me? :)

Thanks.

2. Leohappy

Leohappy Diabloii.Net Member

Well I heard there are "hacks" that can prevent socketing items into your equipment. Maybe you use such a "hack"? o_O

If not then I don't have a clue. You should be able to socket jewels/runes/gems into socketed equipment without any problem. If it's a bug I never heard of such a bug. There is a pretty good buglist around here somewhere, might want to check that thread as well...

3. Incubi

Nope, can't be a hack, it happens in singleplayer too. I don't know though, something wierd about it. Not to mention annoying. >.<

4. Oscuro

Oscuro Diabloii.Net Site Pal

Well, could you be using some sort of hack in single player?

Seriously, the only legitimate reason for this problem that I can think of is that the item into which you are trying to insert the rune has run out of durability.

5. Incubi

It has happened to atleast five different items.
    All fresh, newly bought items from Charsi herself.

6. superdave

superdave Diabloii.Net Member

sounds like maphack socket protection

7. Incubi

Don't use it. We all agreed that it'd be more fun not to.

8. Quietus

Quietus Diabloii.Net Member

You're obviously using some sort of hack, because I have only ever heard of this problem with my friends using maphack, or d2loader. They always give their items to me to socket... -_- Too lazy to turn off their hacks.

9. Incubi

I've searched through my entire game now, nothing there to show any signs of any hacks being present. I thought maybe it'd happen if the people who hosted games were using MapHack or d2Loader, etc, but then I thought of the fact that it has happened to me in Singleplayer too !

10. stkrause

stkrause Diabloii.Net Member

So, if you are playing singleplayer and not using hacks, where did the ZODs come from? :scratch:

*stkrause

11. Incubi

Old save-game files..

12. distancepieman

distancepieman Diabloii.Net Member

As long as the item has an open socket, there is no reason that it shouldn't be able to fill that socket, if you are playing 100% hack free. There is no other explaination in my opinion. I realize that some people don't see a problem with maphack, but we do, and honestly, this is what I think the problem is. This is probably the second or third thread I've read in my time here relating to socketing problems, and all of them before this have been caused by a socket protection feature found in maphack. Are the items you're attempting to socket being worn, or in inventories? Perhaps you could try moving them around and see if that helps.

~Bails

13. newerest

newerest Diabloii.Net Member

It could be on his merc as far as we know.

Could you post a screenshot of the item?

If you are maphacking just admit it, no one will hate you..(atleast not that many..)

14. Incubi

Nono, no maphack. I did, however, figure out that relogging makes it work. Just sometimes when I've been in-game for a while, it doesn't. But the second I quit and rejoin, or in singleplayer, start a new game, it works.

But can ATMA have anything to do with this ?

15. HardyTarget

HardyTarget Diabloii.Net Member

With 2 computers or 2 players you can simply "dupe" your stuff, including runes by using backup.
    Maybe you'll find a gul from hellforge and then just dupe it with your friend until it becomes a HR, simple, and no hacks involved.
    I'm sure everyone knows about this singleplayer "duping" though and this is why runes can't be traded on the single player trading forums in the first place.
    Just thought I'd mention this since you brought the "hacks" in it.

16. mhl12

mhl12 Diabloii.Net Member

no ATMA should not have anything to do with this. Many people use it and they have not encountered this problem.

When you try to socket an item, does it make the sound signifying that the item is socketed or does your character say something like "I can't."?

17. Incubi

No sound, no voice confirmation of a failure. No effect what-so-ever as I try to socket it. And it can't trade places, so to speak, so there's some sort of reaction in the sense that it knows it's supposed to be socketed, I think, it just dun' want to. :p

But anyway, I figured out that a server-relog / singleplayer game restart will solve the issue, so I suppose it doesn't matter much anymore.

But thanks for all the good suggestions. :)

18. Quietus

This is again, because of a maphack feature. I have used maphack in the past. This is exactly what happened. If it were a game problem, there would be the voice saying, "I can't"

My guess is you're using the cracked mousepad hack, the same one I was using. Server relog works because it unloads the crack, which disables the maphack. Interesting bit or programming, I'll admit.. wish I had the talent to do something that intricate. Glad I got rid of it though.

19. Incubi

Nope, searched through my entire computer, couldn't find anything containing the words "Map" and "Hack" that were at all related to Diablo.

20. Quietus

Methinks thou dost protest too much.