Socketing/ Imbue Suggestions

Crudesash68

Diabloii.Net Member
Socketing/ Imbue Suggestions

I am running a Hybridzon, HC Untwinked, full clears but no rerunning of areas. I was wondering what you would recommend for the imbue/socket quests?

I thought that an Ashwood Bow and a Maiden Javelin would be good choices; socket the bow, imbue the javelin. Neither will be done until after the Anya quest, in case she drops something useful. I am using LF/FA. Any input will be appreciated.

Steve

Nightfish

Diabloii.Net Member
Personally I always imbue circlet type items. They're pwn. :) For socketing I'd just wait until you have something you consider endgame worthy and socket that.

whomhead

Diabloii.Net Member
I always usually sometimes wait until I know where my chars are lacking to find out what I want to use their imbue quests for. If you're not happy with the bow damage, then imbue some bows. If you're not happy with your jav damage, then hope for getting some +skills on a Javelin or a Circlet. If you're satisfied with both of those, then find an ethereal elite Polearm (assuming you're using an act 2 merc) and make yourself a nice merc weapon.

Crudesash68

Diabloii.Net Member
Good ideas; I will be using the imbue/socket before I continue on to Nightmare (and the same with the NM quests), hence the questions regarding lower items.

I just found a three socket Reflex Bow with +1 to skills, and I will keep it until I find the right runes to make "Edge", or until I find a better bow. If I find a +3 bow without sockets, I would likely socket that, and save the imbue for a ceremonial javelin, unless Anya comes through.

I had forgotten about circlets, though...they can get very nice mods. And socketing an eth polearm might result in "Strength", and the CB will be very welcome.

Steve

Colorless Green

Diabloii.Net Member
A list of your current gear would be handy, since the answer heavily depends on that.

Without such a list, however: My FA/LF zon used two of her imbues on elite bows (at least one of the two was a great bow, for speed, which was her endgame weapon) since, when untwinked, as far as javelins go the main thing to look for is increased stack size and/or replenish, IMO. Circlets or merc weapons are also an excellent thing to blow imbues on if you're happy with your weapons, and gloves/boots/belt can also be nice if you're lacking in resists or something.

As for sockets, with a hybrid-zon, you have exactly four choices of what to socket: your bow, your armor, your helm, or your shield (on jav switch.) I'd recommend using the quests on whichever of those you think will be endgame EQ first, then sticking in: pdiamond (shield), ral/ort/thul (armor/helm, depending on which resist(s) you're lacking), or thul/psapph (bow, to extend FA duration)

-Isch

sunbearie

Diabloii.Net Member
Personally, especially since its untwinked, I'll normally recommend class-specific items. Why, simply because you can gamble circlets,belts, weapons etc.

Colorless Green

Diabloii.Net Member
Personally, especially since its untwinked, I'll normally recommend class-specific items. Why, simply because you can gamble circlets,belts, weapons etc.
True. But, while playing untwinked and not re-running areas, one doesn't (at least *I* don't) aquire an overwhelming quantity of gold. Plural millions, definitely. But, at higher levels, a circlet costs.. what.. 75k as a low bet? With a 1/10 chance of being rare at best? That's 3/4ths of a million gold per rare circlet. Or, for a great bow, for example. Composite bow (if I remember item types right) for some small 5-digit number, multiplied by the chance to be a rare, then multiplied again by the chance to be elite... You don't get that many chances gambling. Whereas an imbue guarantees a rare. And guarantees an elite rare for weapons/other eq.

However, I'd still say class-specific items are a good choice, just for other reasons. Grand Matron Bows or Matriarchal Bows are other excellent options for the FA boost they'd provide. And incidentally, I'm not in any way saying spending all the gold you can spare trying to gamble circlets/weapons/etc is in any way a bad idea, I've just found that getting your expectations up on getting something endgame-viable while untwinked is unwise.

-Isch

Crudesash68

Diabloii.Net Member
@ NF: Yes, I am aware, and I am currently running the RWM. Not sure if I am going to keep using it or not; though there doesn't seem to be a compelling reason not to, besides saying that I did the char without them.

Thanks to everyone for the suggestions, it seems I was on the right track thinking of using the class-specific items for imbuing/socketing. My strategy here is to wait and see what Anya drops, then try to defeat Baal and the Normal Cows with my current gear; then choose the best of my lot for imbuing/socketing.

In that spirit, I was trying to figure out my logic involving rerunning. I think I have settled on this. I will re-run areas that can spawn random monsters, or specific uniques, but I can only kill bosses and SU's once (i.e., I could run the dark tower except for killing the Countess again). Also, I cannot re-run an area after I have defeated that particular act. So my guess then is that if I can get that far, I will do a bunch of pit runs before I get to Hell Andy, some lower Kurast runs before Meph, etc.

Thanks again for all the input!

Steve

Liliel

Diabloii.Net Member
I imbue boots, gloves, circlets and ethereal crystal swords/dimensional blades. I'm hoping one day to get an ethereal cruel grinding grandmaster's phase blade of quickness and amplify damage.

ricrestoni

Diabloii.Net Member
I would forget about getting a better javelin, all you need is +3 skills and maybe some IAS, but you can handle all easily with a cracked throwing spear.

I have the same feeling about bows, when you use FA, although, I have not played my FA zon that much.

Circlets, you can gamble them.

So I say, keep it for some good imbue for another char, like eth crystal swords or top eth weapons that may come with self repair.

Crudesash68

Diabloii.Net Member
Well, currently, I am about to go through the boring area leading up to the Ancients, and I am using a rare war javelin that Meph dropped; I have found one ceremonial javelin, but the damage is so far below what the warjav has, I ditched it. Currently using a +1 reflex bow with 2 flawless skills and a +max damage jewel. Kills on p4 are fairly fast, my only gripe now that I have sufficicent mana is that I have to run back to town to repair the jav all the time.

Hoping to find a +2/3 skills ashwood or reflex bow, and that will be my socketing quest. If I don't find an exceptional javelin by the time I run the cows, I will use the imbue on a circlet, and hope for + zon skills!

Thanks again for all the input, everybody.

Steve

jiansonz

Diabloii.Net Member
What merc are you using?

With a character like this, I would spend all three imbues on elite merc weapons (ethereal versions if it´s a melee merc). Imbue at clvl 74+, so there is a chance for Cruel with any of the elites.

I usually spend both normal and NM socketing quests after I have seen how horrible my resists are in Hell. (usually Ral, Ort or Thul in armor/helm, or a perfect gem in the shield (if it´s a shield user)). Note that this is from a HC perspective.

I like runewords in class-specific bows (preferrably +3 B&C skills). Zephyr and Passion gives a great boost to attack speed, Zephyr gives Faster Run, Passion gives crowd control. I have never had a good opportunity to make Melody, but that looks nice with knockback, IAS and a load of +skills)

Crudesash68

Diabloii.Net Member
jiansonz said:
What merc are you using?

With a character like this, I would spend all three imbues on elite merc weapons (ethereal versions if it´s a melee merc). Imbue at clvl 74+, so there is a chance for Cruel with any of the elites.

I usually spend both normal and NM socketing quests after I have seen how horrible my resists are in Hell. (usually Ral, Ort or Thul in armor/helm, or a perfect gem in the shield (if it´s a shield user)). Note that this is from a HC perspective.

I like runewords in class-specific bows (preferrably +3 B&C skills). Zephyr and Passion gives a great boost to attack speed, Zephyr gives Faster Run, Passion gives crowd control. I have never had a good opportunity to make Melody, but that looks nice with knockback, IAS and a load of +skills)
Dead on with the bows; I am waiting for a +3 to drop, but I'll take a +2 if I can get it. I am currently using Blessed Aim, but I do not know if I will be using HF or Might for the rest of the game. I am leaning towards Might; Honor/Obedience in an eth polearm plus Might equals I don't have to worry as much about having crappy equipment.

Regarding the quests, I am playing this character a bit unorthodox-I am completing everything within its own difficulty, and its own act, where applicable. My concept is that each diffciulty level is separate, and that the char is "reincarnated" to live again. I could take this to even stupider levels by stripping her down to a jav and shield like at the start of normal, but that would be overdoing the theme.

So, I need to use the imbue and the socket quest before I am "reborn" for NM. The socketing quest is harder than the imbue to use this way; simply because I don't generally think much of rares, but I place a lot of worth on runewords. Now, I have been going over it, and I am hoping to get an Ashwood or Ceremonial Bow before I leave Normal. Now, if I get one with 2 or 3 sockets, I'll use it for a runeword. If I don't, I won't socket them because they will hit 5 sockets, and I don't know of a 5-socket runeword for bows. I had thought of doing an eth polearm, to eventually make honor (atm, just need a Sol rune). My last HC char was able to find an eth partizan in the WSK, and that was sweet! The only dilemma there is that I would have to give up a lot of stash space until I found that Sol, and the merc is already using a Savage Partizan, which I made with the kris+staff formula.

So, for the imbue, I am looking for a Cermonial Javelin; they are fairly common for Act V, with quite a few monsters having a 1/841 chance. The CE Bow can't spawn in Normal, and I actually did find an Ashwood Bow, but it only had +1 to skills...maybe I should've saved that for the imbue, but oh well.

It's kind of cool in a way; generally, we save imbues and socketing for quests, but needed to use it this way makes it real challenging to find the right item at the right time.

Steve

jiansonz

Diabloii.Net Member
OK, that makes it more clear for me why you would spend the quest rewards so early. ;)

BTW, the only way to get a class-specific bow/javelin with +3 native skills in Normal would be if Baal dropped one (and that would be at least magical, not possible to 'runeword').

Llathias

Banned
honor seems like an excellent runeword, especially for it's prize, but finding a 5 os, high dmg polearm is veeery difficult. definitely much more than the required runes. i've been checking all socketed polearms, yet to find one with 5 os...

Sir Lister of Smeg

Diabloii.Net Member
Llathias said:
honor seems like an excellent runeword, especially for it's prize, but finding a 5 os, high dmg polearm is veeery difficult. definitely much more than the required runes. i've been checking all socketed polearms, yet to find one with 5 os...
I think it's quite impossible to find that in normal difficulty, for, iirc, the number of sockets an item can get is dependent on the difficulty it was found in.

edit: This might not apply to the socketingquestreward though, again iirc, a normal item gets the maximum number of sockets.