Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

socketing circlets

Discussion in 'Theorycrafting and Statistics' started by pncwd, Jun 20, 2005.

1. pncwd

pncwd IncGamers Member

socketing circlets

Ok what gives on this,
    if it is rare it can come with 2 os, but if you socket it, with the socket quest, it will only get one.
    How about magic ones, when you use the quest on them sometime they come out with one and sometimes two. I though that the quest always give the max sockets according to the ilvl.

Please help here, I have a couple of them I want to punch two wholes in but dont want to go to the quest unless I know they will get two, other wise I will use them (trade them) without punching holes.

2. helvete

helvete IncGamers Member

The socket quest reward only give maximum allowed sockets to nonmagic items (taking ilvl into account). A white (or grey) circlet would get 2 sockets in most all cases, perhaps not if it was low quality and "normalized" with the El+chipped recipe.

Blue items that can have more than 1 socket gets 1 or 2 on a 50/50 basis. (so you're gambling when using the reward).

Rares (and crafteds, uniques and sets) get 1 socket, and 1 socket only if they have no sockets already. I suppose you already knew that.

3. Quietus

Quietus IncGamers Member

A regular (white), ethereal, or superior item will get max sockets based on the base item and ilvl.

Magical items will get 1 or 2 sockets, randomly.

Rare, set, and unique items will only ever get 1.

In order for any item to end up with more than that, it must spawn with one of the following mods :

Mechanic's (1-2 sockets, available at ilvl 10, can be found on rares, on armor/helm/circlet/weapon/sheild)
    Artisan's (3 sockets, available at ilvl 33, can be found only on magic armor/helm/weapon/sheild)
    Jeweler's (4 sockets, available at ilvl 55, can be found only on magic armor/helm/weapon/sheild)

Thus - if you have a circlet with no sockets, there is no way to get two on it. They have to be found that way.

4. helvete

helvete IncGamers Member

Those are alvls, not ilvls. An items alvl (affix level) is ilvl - [qlvl/2]

However, circlets have a +3 bonus here, and coronets, tiaras and diadems have even bigger bonuses (don't really remember, but wasn't diadem +18?)

Essentially, some items can have jeweler's at ilvl 55, but most must be higher.

Edit: Corrected alvl bonus for circlets to +3 instead of +6, which I mistakenly wrote before.

5. Quietus

Quietus IncGamers Member

Ahh... interesting. I'll have to keep that in mind. Yay, more math work! :lol:

As far as the Magic Levels (the bonus you're referring to), going by the Arreat Summit, it's 3/8/13/18 respectively for circlets/coronets/tiaras/diadems.

6. helvete

helvete IncGamers Member

That formula (alvl = ilvl - [qlvl/2]) changes when qlvls get very high. I don't remember what it changes to, but it happens around qlvl 80.

Also, if qlvl >= ilvl, then alvl = qlvl. (and then adding on the magic level bonus, or whatever it is called so that diadems (qlvl 86) are always able to get any affix, even if its ilvl was 1.)