Socketing advice

Earl Grey

Diabloii.Net Member
Socketing advice

Eur SC L
Sorceress level 86 (w Holy Freeze merc).

What are good choices for socketing her gear:
Helm: Harlequin Crest
Armor: Skin of the Vipermagi (22 res alll)
Shield: Visceratuant (upped to elite - for high blocking)
Weapon: Wizardspike

- Other equipment -
Amulet: rare w +1 sorc, +10 res all
Ring: rare w 10/10/28/10 res
Ring: magic w 15 res all
Gloves: Magefist
Belt: Tal Rasha's fine-spun cloth
Boots: rare w 30 frw, 17 ltn res, 38 fire res, 25 mf

This is my mf-character so she also has Chance Guards, Gull, two Nagelrings and a 35 mf amulet in the stash. edit: and a "Rhyme" runeword heater shield.

I can't afford good runes and with that I mean that trading for an UM would really stretch my resources. I have one PUL, one FAL and and a good number of lower runes.

Superhal

Diabloii.Net Member
i would make a spirit shield for starters, as it, wiz spike and vipermagi will give 105-115 fcr. then you can get rid of the magefists and fcr ring.

not sure if you are using ES. if so, i think your mana is too low.

i wouldn't bother wasting a socket quest on that vipermagi, res is too low.

harle is easy, ptopz.

i would probably leave wizspike empty. a spirit crystal sword is pretty good.

where are you mf'ing and what is your build? if you have a blizz sorc, just do the moat trick on meph, replace everything with mf eq, and just use wiz spike and spirit shield to get 65% fcr.

Earl Grey

Diabloii.Net Member
MeteOrb with max block. No Energy Shield. Switching to Spirit shield is out of the question since this is a max block build.
I'm in the process of getting used to Hell difficulty so no real Hell mf-ing yet. Trying out countess running for runes at the moment.

gibsonSG

Diabloii.Net Member
Earl Grey said:
MeteOrb with max block. No Energy Shield. Switching to Spirit shield is out of the question since this is a max block build.
I'm in the process of getting used to Hell difficulty so no real Hell mf-ing yet. Trying out countess running for runes at the moment.

Two things.

1. What's your base DEX and what shield are you using for your sorceress (and what are all your base stats, by the way)? Just looking for other options/variations/inputs on the similar build.

2. I think I posted in a thread earlier something about my meteorb sorc having problems with the countess on hell--it seems she (almost?) always spawns as a dual cold/fire immune. How did you manage this if she spawns like that often/always?

Sorry, just my two cents :D

Superhal

Diabloii.Net Member
gibsonSG said:
2. I think I posted in a thread earlier something about my meteorb sorc having problems with the countess on hell--it seems she (almost?) always spawns as a dual cold/fire immune. How did you manage this if she spawns like that often/always?

Sorry, just my two cents :D
i always use chain lightning.

Earl Grey

Diabloii.Net Member
I'm using the upgraded Visceratuant now since I upgraded it last night. Blocking is at 75% now (level 87).

Str 90
Dex 180
Vit 140
(Ene base)
75 points not allocated yet.

With gear on she has 700 life and 670 mana. Holy Freeze merc is using Insight runeword weapon which gives massive mana regeneration.

I put a PTopaz in the shako as advised and am considering a PDiamond in Visceratuant. I'm not spending a socketing quest on Vipermagi or Wizardspike until I know what to use those sockets for.

FCR is at 100, annoyingly 5 points from the next breakpoint. :(

About the Countess - yes, she always seem to have cold and fire immunity so I kill the monsters surrounding her and have my merc kill her. Despite a crappy weapon my merc kills her rather easily.

gibsonSG

Diabloii.Net Member
Earl Grey said:
I'm using the upgraded Visceratuant now since I upgraded it last night. Blocking is at 75% now (level 87).

Str 90
Dex 180
Vit 140
(Ene base)
75 points not allocated yet.

With gear on she has 700 life and 670 mana. Holy Freeze merc is using Insight runeword weapon which gives massive mana regeneration.

I put a PTopaz in the shako as advised and am considering a PDiamond in Visceratuant. I'm not spending a socketing quest on Vipermagi or Wizardspike until I know what to use those sockets for.

FCR is at 100, annoyingly 5 points from the next breakpoint. :(

About the Countess - yes, she always seem to have cold and fire immunity so I kill the monsters surrounding her and have my merc kill her. Despite a crappy weapon my merc kills her rather easily.
Yeah, I hate that son-of-a-witch. Anywho, yeah my stats are something like:

STRENGTH 95
DEXTERITY 25 (base)
VITALITY 60-something
ENERGY 35 (base)

With something like...250 or so stat points unused :D
I'm going for the max block thing though I think. Is it more efficient for MFing, staying alive in general than just having lots of vitality? My brother has a sorceress with more vitality, but I think she lasts about as long as a max block sorceress would.

And to superhal--I only have 3 points in lightning skills: static field, telekenisis (pre-req for...), teleport.

...better get started on that merc, which do you all use?

Thanks

gibsonSG

Diabloii.Net Member
Superhal said:
she dropped me a ko today, by far the highest drop i've ever had from her. :)
....I just got a KO rune in a trade for 40 chipped gems I had on my paladin-in-making. Considering I haven't played much in 1.10, I don't know the economy too well, but my brother said that that was a pretty sweet deal--considering chips aren't worth stone of jordans anymore (I remember those days, the good 'ol days...).

:D

Earl Grey

Diabloii.Net Member
Imho a sorc should either go max block or use Energy Shield.

As I wrote in my initial post I use an act 2 nightmare defensive merc (Holy Freeze) and I don't see any reason why I should use someone else.

Getting a KO is a pretty good drop from the Countess. Sad. I guess the good thing about her is that it's a steady supply of runes even though they are low to mid levels.

Here's her drop odds from KO to IST. Above IST the odds suddenly get almost astronomical, but up to IST it looks somewhat reasonable.

Ko 1:161
Fal 1:213
Lem 1:319
Pul 1:424
Um 1:635
Mal 1:740
Ist 1:1110

Oh yeah, chipped are useless in 1.10. I used to play a some years ago and when I restarted a few months ago immediately began hoarding chipped. After finding out the change they got cubed into a few pgems (yes I had hundreds). :eek:

gibsonSG

Diabloii.Net Member
Earl Grey said:
Imho a sorc should either go max block or use Energy Shield.

As I wrote in my initial post I use an act 2 nightmare defensive merc (Holy Freeze) and I don't see any reason why I should use someone else.

Getting a KO is a pretty good drop from the Countess. Sad. I guess the good thing about her is that it's a steady supply of runes even though they are low to mid levels.

Here's her drop odds from KO to IST. Above IST the odds suddenly get almost astronomical, but up to IST it looks somewhat reasonable.

Ko 1:161
Fal 1:213
Lem 1:319
Pul 1:424
Um 1:635
Mal 1:740
Ist 1:1110

Oh yeah, chipped are useless in 1.10. I used to play a some years ago and when I restarted a few months ago immediately began hoarding chipped. After finding out the change they got cubed into a few pgems (yes I had hundreds). :eek:
....as I said--"the good 'ol days." Oh well, at least I got my KO rune for the remaining 40 that I had been holding on to. If I remember correctly, rune drops are not factored in as a result of how much magic find gear you have, correct? If so, I'll just have a non-meteorb character run the countess for runes if that's the case.

...and basically, pumping VIT for a sorceress is somewhat not-as-good as doing it for other classes because of her ****ty life to vitality point ratio. So...having 800 or so life with little/no block ain't as good if you're taking 100-300 damage hits that you can't avoid :confused:

Thanks.

Dennis_KoreanGuy

Diabloii.Net Member
Superhal said:
i would make a spirit shield for starters, as it, wiz spike and vipermagi will give 105-115 fcr. then you can get rid of the magefists and fcr ring.

not sure if you are using ES. if so, i think your mana is too low.

i wouldn't bother wasting a socket quest on that vipermagi, res is too low.

harle is easy, ptopz.

i would probably leave wizspike empty. a spirit crystal sword is pretty good.

where are you mf'ing and what is your build? if you have a blizz sorc, just do the moat trick on meph, replace everything with mf eq, and just use wiz spike and spirit shield to get 65% fcr.
It's 67% FCR BP not 65%. :D

Yes try to get a Viper that is over +30 All Res or just get a PTopazed Skullder's Ire.

Hum I thought the moat trick was with FB sorcs not Blizz? Am I wrong?

PTopaz every one of your gear that would give +%MF, and then for the rest either Um or Shael it.

slynth

Diabloii.Net Member
You can use the moat trick with any class, blizz sorcs are just the best at it.

I even use it with my lightning sorc ever since I accidently sold my HOTO to an NPC :rolleyes:. Damn Jamella and her trixiness.