Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Socketing a WitchWild String

Discussion in 'Amazon' started by Deadsosoon, Mar 15, 2004.

1. Deadsosoon

Deadsosoon IncGamers Member

Socketing a WitchWild String

I don't usually play zons and even having a couple of buriza's hasn't tempted me. However, Mephi coughed up a decent WitchWild (love those mods) to my Blizzard Sorc and now I want use it.

Can anyone suggest a viable build and what I should put in the sockets?

I'm on the ladder and would like the build to be able to solo in Hell.

2. eron

eron IncGamers Member

My zon is using this bow and I am going for a Strafe zon with a strong Valk to tank. The damage from witchwild is a bit low for even NM act5 in big games though and that's why I am thinking of upgrading it to a diamond bow version. Hoping the level20 magic arrows come with the bow can help killing the PIs as I am not aiming to put points for elemental bow skills. Anyone have experience using this setup in hell?

3. Omikron8

Omikron8 IncGamers Member

Yes my level 92 zon on ladder uses an upgraded WWS with 2xshael shooting at a 2 fps strafe and she pretty much annihilates anything (including PI's) except extreme hitpoint enemies such as minotaurs (these guys spawn with 10k minimum hitpoints in hell in a one player game, multiply linearly for the appropriate boost with extra players). The amp damage triggers often enough that physical immunes often have their physical immunity removed after a few shots (unless the resistance is over 100% such as stone skin specter which will not lose immunity after amp). The guaranteed deadly strike (1% per level) saves me lots of points on critical strike and i put these points to max out penetrate.

Not relying on other deadly strike also carries the benefit of not having to wear highlords or goreriders. Instead i can concentrate on cat's eye (for speed and dex) and war travs (for magic find and the +15-25 damage bonus is multiplied quite nicely by things such as dex and might merc to give a much larger damage bonus). My strafe damage on my char screen is only around 800-1250 with might merc but that is mostly doubled (some elemental charms) with the WWS deadly strike. The magic arrow is useful if i run into an unleechable physical immune (whether i remove the immunity or not) such as skeletons.

As for the first poster if you are using strafe you will need at least 86% ias to reach an 8/2 strafe speed (8 frames for first shot and 2 frames for each shot of the cycle). My zon put in 2 shaels which when coupled with LOH (20%), cat's eye (20%) and tal's mask (15% jeweled) gives me 95% IAS which puts me at 2 fps. If you can get 20% more ias somewhere from your gear (eg. ias jewel'ed twichthroe would give 35%) then put shael+nef in the bow. This is because sometimes melee packs will rush you so fast even with merc and valk protection that knocking them back (nef) can save your life.

4. himeji

himeji IncGamers Member

My current build uses both buriza and upgr. double shaeled wws. I only use the wws for handling pi's, for all other monsters I use the xbow because of the higher dmg dealt. You dont need to rely on magic arrow to kill immunes, if you can afford, trade for Reapers toll (decrepify curse) for merc's weapon, it does the same job.

5. YogiRat

YogiRat IncGamers Member

Actually it's 105 IAS to hit 8/2 , 86 hits 9/2. I did a little experiment a couple weeks ago using two equal(166ED) Witchys. With 80IAS off my gear I socketed one with two shaels and the other eth/nef. This gave me 8/2 and 9/3 attack speeds. The double shealed bow did noticably better against crowds, but against singles or pairs it didn't kill any quicker than the eth/nef bow. I suspect the "next delay" issue had something to do with that. I soon went back to the eth/nef bow full time not because of "next delay" but because I found it un-nerving to play with out knockback. I play HC so any way to keep the baddies off my back...
    I have since resocketed the shael/shael bow with a nef/IAS max damage jewel for a 9/2 attack and it is my #1 bow now.

6. JoJeck

JoJeck IncGamers Member

Omikron8, I'm interested to read about your Zon which has a nice set up. However, I think you may have made a small mistake in the IAS breakpoints for a Diamond bow.

According to the IAS tables on this site.

9/3 63
    9/2 86
    8/2 105

The set up you mentioned having 95% IAS did not include a belt and Goldwrap and at least one other belt has 10% IAS that would enable you to reach the 8/2 breakpoint. For my part though the difference between 8/2 and 9/2 strafes is probably small, although other bow skills like MA will benefit from faster shooting.

EDIT: YogiRat posted while I was writing :lol:

7. Omikron8

Omikron8 IncGamers Member

Ya i screwed up on the figures. The point is that 86% and 105% both give you a 2 frame speed for the remaining strafe shots (after the first) which is the most important thing for a strafezon.

8. Deadsosoon

Deadsosoon IncGamers Member

Thanks for the feedback people.

I think I'll go with the shaels and get knockback from some crafted gloves. I'll upgrade the bow later on.