Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Socketing a Hone Sundan

Discussion in 'Diablo 2 Community Forum' started by MatMan, Mar 19, 2004.

1. MatMan

MatMan IncGamers Member

Socketing a Hone Sundan

What's the Standard Operating Procedure for socketing a Hone Sundan? It'll go on an Act 2 Might merc. Also, is it OK to socket it before upgrading it? The upgrading process retains all runes/gems/jewels, correct?

2. vdzele

vdzele IncGamers Member

I did not know that such a procedure (Standard Operating Procedure for socketing) does exist. :bow:

The main benefit/advantage that Hone Sundan has is the modifier 45% Crushing Blow. To make it more useful you need to put more IAS modifiers (Jewels or Shael runes) in the spear. The average damage that a Hone Sundan does is barely noticeable in Hell (and hell difficulty is always the referent field for everything we should compare/measure). I will give IAS breakpoints for the act 2 mercenary using Yari spear taken from this site

With 0% IAS = 8 fpa (frames per attack) or 3.1 attacks per second
    With 10% IAS = 7.5 fpa (frames per attack) or 3.3 attacks per second
    With 20% IAS = 7 fpa (frames per attack) or 3.5 attacks per second
    With 40% IAS = 6.5 fpa (frames per attack) or 3.8 attacks per second
    With 65% IAS = 6 fpa (frames per attack) or 4.1 attacks per second

I have a level 90 act 2 defense mercenary (with over 11000 defense when his aura is activated) bought in normal (these guys are far more powerful then the same ones bought in hell). He has:

Ethereal Rockstopper
    Gladiator’s bane (could not be frozen mod here is the key)
    Hone Sundan (2 x Shael; 1 x Amn)

If you have a spear/polearm that makes good damage then Amn runes are OK for use. But Hone Sundan does not make great damage so you need to increase her advantage (CB) with IAS. Note in nightmare life leaching has a 1/2 penalty and in hell 1/3. You will see, give to a merc Hone Sundan and then give him Bonehew (high str level req btw) or The Reaper's Toll (good damage and LL) and attack Baal in hell. You will be :surprise: with the performance of the mighty Hone.

right

3. MatMan

MatMan IncGamers Member

Wonderful. Thanks for the assistance. The breakpoint info for the merc was particularly helpful. You rock mightily.
    :clap:

4. YomoKimyata

YomoKimyata IncGamers Member

In my opinion, for a merc you only need one shael. I considered a MAL rune, but with 45% crushing blow, prevent monster heal really isnt that critical in hell, so for johnny merc i like amn amn shael.

vdzele, kudos for clear explanation of situation.