Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Socketing a Baal killer

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by DougTheHead2, Apr 28, 2005.

1. DougTheHead2

DougTheHead2 IncGamers Member

Socketing a Baal killer

Hello, lets talk about Hone Sundan sockets AGAIN. Got an eth 198 ed one, and want to up it (but no Lum!) and socket it specifically for help killing Baal. So, I looked up the IAS tables for merc, but I wasn't sure about what I saw. Does 2 shaels hit a bp more than 1? Would you socket a 3rd shael, or an eth, or an amn to help against the WSK/minions on the way... I want that CB to go off as much as possible!

Just one more time, I promise! Let's talk Yari's.

2. Chimaira

Chimaira IncGamers Member

I'm curious about the breakpoints too...Not sure if there's a real difference between 7 and 6.5. Anyways I'd socket an Amn, mercenaries don't seem to have problems hitting stuff, so Eth doesn't seem so attractive. More life leech is never a bad thing.

Just a note of caution, if you ever get that Lum and upgrade the requirements of a Ghost Spear are really high, so your mercenary has to be lvl 90 or something to use it. Not for everyone:(

3. Thrugg

Thrugg IncGamers Member

The attack speeds of a merc with a Yari (or Ghost Spear) are

0 % 8
    9 % 7.5
    20 % 7
    37 % 6.5
    65 % 6
    105 % 5.5
    200 % 5

There is no other IAS on the Hone Sundan, and you usually don't have any other IAS gear on a merc (but you could). So 1 shael does a lot of good, 8 frames to 7 is a 14% improvement. A second Shael is also another step up, but only a half-step, about a 7.7% improvement.

I'd always use at least one Shael, the second would depend a bit. I'd be more inclined to use 2 Shaels if I was upgrading to Ghost Spear (the more damage you do, the faster you want to apply it, plus you have less other requirements for the second socket). Obviously no point ever using 3 Shaels unless you plan to stick other IAS eq on your merc.

The .5 frame thing is a bit odd, what is happening is that mercs actually have two attack animations which alternate. "6.5 frames" means one has sped up to 6 but the other is still at 7. So, 2 attacks every 13 frames might be a better way to put it.

Upgrading to Ghost Spear adds a 163 Dex requirement (153 for eth) - while Yaris need no Dex at all. So be very sure your merc can use it before you do so.

4. DougTheHead2

DougTheHead2 IncGamers Member

Thanks! Hmm... 13 vs 14 frames for 2 attacks... not much there. I'll continue to ponder, and go with a 1 Shael and 1 Amn for now... Also, I just realized I can cube up 6 Hels and an Io to get my Lum needed! Now, if I could just figure out why my different mercs have different stats at the same level...

(i know it has something to do with the difficulty hired in... it looks like at merc lvl 87 they should have 153 dex, so not a problem there, really, 87 is easy to hit)

5. Chimaira

Chimaira IncGamers Member

If you level a mercenary from scratch he will have better stats than if you just hire one in later difficulty levels...This doesn't make much of a difference but could explain the difference in stats between your mercenaries.

6. NSXdreamer

NSXdreamer IncGamers Member

What I do it shael shael amn the weapon, and put two ias jewel in the helm and armor, right above the 6 frame mark while have some leech.

7. bill_n_opus

bill_n_opus IncGamers Member

If you can do it - something to consider is a Shael/Shael/Amn combo for the Hone for 40% IAS. Then slap in a jewel into a helm with IAS built in (like a Andariel's Visage with a fire resist jewel with second mods or a rare jewel).

Andy's has 20%IAS so you will only have to slap in another IAS jewel into your armor/helm to hit the 6fpa breakpoint plus extras.

Or if you have the jewels, slap in 2 IAS jewels plus an Amn (for 30% IAS) in the Hone plus the Andy's (or a StealSkull) for 20%IAS .... there are many ways to hit the 6fpa breakpoint.

The faster your merc hits, the more often the Crushing Blow activates and more leech happens (although bosses like Meph are unleechable ...).

Keep in mind that you can try combos like a Hone plus Guillame's Face for 80% CB or go for more speed/+skills with the Andy's and keep the native 45% CB from the Hone. Personally, having tried both 45% is "enough" relatively. I'm also holding for en ethereal Hone Sundan before spending the runes to upgrade but that's me.

Good luck.

8. farting bob

farting bob Banned

I go shael Amn Amn, which gives me 14% LL at 7 frame attack. combined with a vamp gaze, if its not undead, or boss pack, or bugged ( :uhhuh: ) My merc struggles to die. My HF merc can tank your standard herd of hell cows with very rarely dropping below half life.