Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Socketed rare armor...mistake?

Discussion in 'Diablo 2 Community Forum' started by ehawk, Mar 26, 2004.

1. ehawk

ehawk IncGamers Member

Socketed rare armor...mistake?

I found a rare socketed armor. It had two sockets so I tried to make "stealth" with it. However the mods for "stealth" don't show up. Did I just waste the runes I used? It is for a lvl25 pally

2. Herald of Doom

Herald of Doom IncGamers Member

Yes. You made a mistake. Runewords only work in grey items. ONLY in GREY items. And that's the last I respond to a thread about people socketing runes in yellow/green/uniqe items in order to get a runeword.

3. maccool

maccool IncGamers Member

If it's on the ladder, you can unsocket your armor. Armor + TP tome + Hel Rune in the cube = unsocketed armor.

I think that's the recipie anyways.

4. Bastadon

Bastadon IncGamers Member

Hey Herald, lighten up will ya? Not all of us read the boards every day and it was a legitmate question.

5. decoy_sJ

decoy_sJ IncGamers Member

its ok its ok..i'm quite sure u r not the only one..welcome to the socketing-unique-rare-magical club! i am the Shael-Eth Moser's Blessed circle member. :lol: :lol: :lol:

p.s. oh and herald..if it really pisses off u so much..u can always leave the job to us..u dun have to answer if u dun want to u know..

6. Herald of Doom

I counted back how many times someone posted a similar thread here and on another forum which im not allowed to name etc. So far, about 200 threads found in the last 3 months. But, even worse, it is clearly stated on arreat summit, on diablioii.net and about a million other sites. I mean, even if you read the manual it should be clear. I have never, ever made a runeword attempt in a non-grey non-socketed item, simply because I looked it up before I tried it. I simply don't understand how someone could not know the two things you need to know about runewords:
    1. it has to be in a grey socketed item with the right amount of sockets
    2. the order in which you place the runes does matter.
    I'm not pissed of. I did not flame the poster, nor did I do anything to insult him, I just clearly stated that it was the last time I'd answer.
    And you don't have to read the forums every day, I don't read them every day either.

7. Pintail-Hunter

Pintail-Hunter IncGamers Member

Relax man....

8. Uzziah

Uzziah IncGamers Member

It can be "white" also, but that requires the use of the act 5 socketing quest. This is how you get the desired "staff mods" on the item used for the runeword.

@Hearold I know there have been alot of post on this subject in many many forums, but I just like to laugh about such mistakes. Just think about those times when someone accidently placed Zod in a phase blade or placed a Ptopaz in a weapon for MF. They are stupid mistake but we have all made atleast one of those in our lifetime.

9. Herald of Doom

Why do you tell me to relax ? Trust me, I can't get any more relax then I am now, with some nice tea and biscuits. I didn't say anything offending did I ? It's like I was flaming the guy or something :-/

Everybody makes mistakes with socketing, I once socketed my GF with a crap jewel that was waiting to be used in a bloodrecipe instead of a 3x/15. But runewords in non-grey items is more then a mistake imo.

10. ehawk

ehawk IncGamers Member

Here is the funny thing....

First, I SHOULD have searched. I know better, but ill chalk both the socketing and the lack of search on being overtired.

Second, it did add the name stealth to the armor. It also picked up some of the mods, just not the one I was looking for. It is almost like it half worked. My guess is that I got some bonus for the runes, just not all the bonus for the rune word.

That being said, anyone on us east NL have some decent 2S armor to donate to the stupid?

11. Eisirt

Eisirt IncGamers Member

Unsocketing works both on ladder and on regular.
    And indeed: Item + Hel + TP-scroll
    Gem or jewel or rune will be lost however.

At www.diabloii.net there is a good list with the most usefull recipes, at least all the ones used for upgrading and socketing. Just make sure to read them.
    There is even a recipe for socketing WHITE items, saving the Larzuk-reward for when you REALLY need it.

Herald...most of the recipes were either discovered by lucky sod's who happened to stumble over the recipe and were clever enough to remember what they put in the box afterwards. ;-)
    All the rest comes from equally clever blokes who have the know-how to read the code and figure out things that way, and were friendly enough to share it with the rest. But I estimate you knew that already.

"Have a Full Rejuv....it's on me !"

12. Herald of Doom

Yup, iirc, that's what happens. I think thats what happens when you socket a runeword in a weapon with to much sockets too. You only received the bonuses from the individual runes, not the runeword.

13. ehawk

ehawk IncGamers Member

unsocketing

not worth that. It was only a Tal and and Eth. If it was more than that maybe. Besides the armor wasnt that good. Of course after i traded fot the Tal I found one. so now its just looking for a decent 2S armor to try again.

14. decoy_sJ

decoy_sJ IncGamers Member

well herald..my bad my bad :innocent:

anyway..two socket armors u can get v simply just by joining a cow run..u can just go in and pick up socketed stuff like nobody's business..i dun think u will have much of a problem picking up some nice superior 2 socket armor there..

its the bloody 4 socket flails that are b*tches... :rant:

15. Eisirt

Eisirt IncGamers Member

I disagree, they aren't.....UNTILL you start looking for them. ;-)

16. chubbypuppy

chubbypuppy IncGamers Member

Runewords in white...

Actually I make Leaf staves out of +X fireball white staffs that I buy from Drognan in act 2. I only buy the ones with 2 sockets on them, so I don't need to use the socketing quest, and they are not grey...

17. ebi

ebi IncGamers Member

All I had to do was go to the runeword page on Blizzard's site.