Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Socketables and Runewords

Discussion in 'Newcomer Forum' started by solutionx, Apr 15, 2008.

1. solutionx

solutionx IncGamers Member

Socketables and Runewords

Just a couple of questions about socketables since I have a stash full of runes which I've yet to use.

First, when making a rune word do elite weapons or the TYPE of weapon (like for example a mace instead of flail) make a difference in damage or anything?

Second question, the same thing goes for armor rune words. Let's say... for Enigma: does it make a difference in defense or anything other than strength requirement whether I use archon plate or mage plate? Would one type of armor grant me more defense if I have the strength requirement and it's elite status?

I've looked at arreat summit but haven't found anything of relevance. I know that elite weapons have more damage. I'm just not sure if that extra damage is taken into a runeword, as well. It's something I need to get cleared up before I make my merc infinity or anything else with rune words.

edit: One more thing: Can I make a three runeword item with a 4-socket item? Does that matter?

Thanks.

2. Thyiad

Thyiad Moderator Single Player, D2 Assassin, Barbarian

Re: Socketables and Runewords

It isn't just about damage. EG Infinity - range, speed, str/dex requirements may be important. With some thing like enigma the extra str you get as part of the runeword means you might go breastplate. The different mods on fort .. archon plte. Or you might dislike the look of that.

Lots of differing factors.

http://forums.diabloii.net/showthread.php?t=517677

3. Aien

Aien IncGamers Member

Normal/exceptional/elite status is taken into consideration when making runewords with respect to damage as well as defense. Usually with runewords, there's a percent addition to damage or defense, and that percentage gets added to the base damage or defense that the weapon or armor starts with. So if you start with a weapon that does more damage or an armor with more defense (like with elite types like you mentioned, though for a flail the elite type would be a scourge), the runeword will end up with a higher damage or defense.

I also definitely take the look of the armor into consideration :wink3:. One further consideration, if it's important to you, may be resale value.

You cannot make a three rune runeword in a four socket item, the number of sockets must be exact for the runeword. You also cannot make runewords in magical or rare items.

4. solutionx

solutionx IncGamers Member

Quick replies! Thanks a lot, guys.

edit: My last question, though. What about the number of sockets? Does that matter at all?

edit2: Nevermind, "Socketed Items must have the exact number of sockets as the Rune Word formula requires. If the Rune Word is a 3 Rune formula then you must use an item with exactly 3 sockets. A 4 socket item will not work with a 3 socket formula."