Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Socket/Stat Dilemma

Discussion in 'Sorceress' started by ElasticPanda, Jul 22, 2010.

1. ElasticPanda

ElasticPanda IncGamers Member

Socket/Stat Dilemma

Alright, so I am planning a MF Lightning Sorc build.
    I planned to bot, so I decided to go with a Max Block build.
    My proposed gear is as follows:

Helm: Shako + P Topaz/IST Rune
    Armor: Tal Rasha's Guardianship + P Topaz/IST Rune
    Gloves: Chance Guards
    Weapon: Eschuta's Temper + IST Rune
    Shield: Storm Shield
    Belt: Tal Rasha's Fine-Spun Cloth
    Boots: War Traveler
    Ring 1: SoJ
    Ring 2: SoJ
    Amulet: Tal Rasha's Adjudication
    Off-Hand Weapon: Call to Arms
    Off-Hand Shield: Spirit Shield
    Charms: Gheed's Fortune, Anni, Torch, Other charms?
    Merc Helm: Vampire Gaze
    Merc Weapon: Infinity Colossus Voulge
    Merc Body Armor: Fortitude

Now, this brings me to my question...
    What should I put into the Stormshield?
    I'm leaning towards Um, Hel, or Cham. Since I'm going for max block, my stat points are going to be tight. I've calculated that at lvl 90, for max block with a Stormshield, I'll need something like 217 Dex. Then to use the shield, I need 156 Str. If I toss a Hel rune in it, I'll save something like 23 stat points. On the other hand, Um gets me 22 to all resistances. Cham's advantages are obvious. The "Cannot be Frozen" effect is extremely useful.

Also, on a side note, how does my item build look? Would it be an acceptable farming build? What charms should I go with (besides the unique ones mentioned)? I was considering dropping one of the SoJs for a Wisp Protector and then switching the Chance Guards for either Magefists or Forstburns. Would this be a good idea? I never see anyone suggest Wisp Protector....

Thanks for any responses in advance!
    --ElasticPanda

Last edited: Jul 22, 2010
  2. TurtleBay

TurtleBay IncGamers Member

Re: Socket/Stat Dilemma

Wow, your going to get banned on your first post. Sorry bud, no bots around here...

3. ElasticPanda

I didn't ask or provide links/information for hacks/bots/cheats or any third party program. I asked for information on my character and build. The rule doesn't explicitly state that you can't talk about botting. It just says you can not ask for information or give information regarding the subject.

If they ban me, so be it, but nothing I said or did is in violation of that rule based on the way it is literally stated, which is how I interpreted it. I could easy remove that one comment and the question would still be just as valid.

EDIT: And on the subject of the question, thank you for the very helpful, relevant comment! :D

Last edited: Jul 22, 2010
  4. droid

droid IncGamers Member

Admitting to botting is a guaranteed ban from the trade forums, and your cavalier attitude about it is probably going to garner a full exile from the forums too...

And, to add insult to injury, you're showing your poor knowledge of the game by suggesting you may socket a cham for CBF. Sorcs have absolutely no use for CBF since it doesnt slow down casting rate, and they generally use TP for moving.

We dont take kindly to botters, dupers, and cheaters here like they do at that other site. The reason being is that people that bot dont actually learn the game, and ask a lot more dumb question and dont contribute to the community in any way :)

5. spiffymcbang

spiffymcbang D3 Trade Moderator<br> America, USEast (D2)<br> Ne

You may not trade on the trade forums from this point forward.
    It has been noted.

6. ElasticPanda

Somewhat ironic that you claim botters, dupers, and cheaters don't contribute when you yourself don't seem to be contributing much at all :D

EDIT: To go along with that last comment...
    If you don't like me, fine. If you think I'm a cheater, fine (Although technically, as of now, I've never botted). If you don't want to help me, fine.
    Just please, if you have nothing to add to the question, don't comment.

Telling me, "U gonna get banned n00b!" accomplishes nothing.
    You gain nothing from it. I gain nothing from it. If you want to PM me and call me a cheater and insult me, go for it.
    But unless you're a moderator telling me my punishment (Which could also be done in PM, I suppose), there's no reason to continue repeating the same stuff over and over.

Last edited: Jul 23, 2010
  7. Doctor Clock

Doctor Clock IncGamers Member

1.) Shield socket. I'd suggest against Cham. Wasted HR in my opinion. Your sorc is a caster and has Teleport, don't really need to run very much. Eld rune is something to consider, though. Increases chance to block by 7%. You'd have to do some number crunching with the block formula(link) to see which would save more stat points, Hel or Eld, but those would the two I would pick.

2.) Your merc has no ias. He's going to attack slow. I always use Andy's Visage, but that's just me.

3.) You don't seem to have any negative enemy lightning resists. Infinity will break LIs, but they will still have high resists. Griffon's with a -5% facet will boost your kill speed. Worth a loss in MF imo.

4.) I don't know how your resists are, but if you need more, I'd switch Eschuta's for HotO. The +lightning skill damage from Eschuta's is additive with your Lightning Mastery, meaning instead of +400% lightning damage, you get +415%. Not a big difference.

5.) Wisp Projector is ok if you are planning on running areas with Gloams. However, integer absorb (Thundergod's Vigor) is actually better against them.

6.) Gloves. If you need the FCR to hit a breakpoint, go for it. If not, don't.

Word to the wise, if you decide to continue posting here, don't start your thread with "I'm planning on botting." As you can see, people don't take kindly to it.

8. droid

droid IncGamers Member

Check my post history...about all I do here is help people and answer questions. Mostly because I'm dicking around at work, but still :)

And if you've never botted, then just dont! It wasnt just that you said you botted, but your "so what?" attitude about it.

What we're accomplishing by coming out so strongly against admissions of cheating is developing and reinforcing a culture of legit play in this forum. If we just ignored posts about botting, then others who read it would get the impression that people here dont really care if you bot or not. We dont want to allow the tacit acceptance of cheating that's ruined the community at the other site.

Its not just about the OP and the responses, its also about everyone who reads this thread without posting, and who may have similar thoughts or concerns. Its a message board, not a chat conversation :)

9. Shanksie1337

Shanksie1337 IncGamers Member

well said.

10. ElasticPanda

Thank you for the response. I've actually switched up my gear a little bit from the original post.
    It now looks like this:

Helm: Gritton's Eye + -5/+5 Facet Die Jewel
    Armor: Tal Rasha's Guardianship + IST Rune
    Gloves: Magefists
    Weapon: Hoto (As suggested)
    Shield: Storm Shield + Um (Just put the Um in for the time being. I will do the number crunching on the Eld rune as you suggested in a little bit.)
    Belt: Tal Rasha's Fine-Spun Cloth
    Boots: War Traveler
    Ring 1: SoJ
    Ring 2: Nagelring
    Amulet: Tal Rasha's Adjudication
    Off-Hand Weapon: Call to Arms
    Off-Hand Shield: Spirit Shield
    Charms: Gheed's Fortune, Anni, Torch, 3 Sparking Grand Charm of Balance (+1 to Lightning Skills (Sorceress Only), +12% Faster Hit Recovery), 1 Ruby Small Charm of Balance (+5% Faster Hit Recovery, Fire Resist +11%), 1 Emerald Small Charm of Balance (+5% Faster Hit Recovery, Poison Resist +11%), 2 Emerald Small Charm of Vita (+20 to Life, Poison Resist +11%)

Merc Helm: Andy's Visage (As you suggested)
    Merc Weapon: Infinity Colossus Voulge
    Merc Body Armor: Fortitude (Which my merc cannot wear yet and is currently wearing Levi's Kracken Shell)

Breakpoint/Value Assessment:
    - My Faster Cast Rate just hits the 8 FPC breakpoint on the nose. There's no way I'm making it to 200% FCR without switching to Spirit over Stormshield, so I'm satisfied with 105%.
    - My Faster Hit Recovery just hits the 9 FPH breakpoint. I couldn't hit the 8 FPH breakpoint, so I dropped 2 FHR charms for life charms.
    - My Faster Block Rate hits the 6 FPB breakpoint. But to be perfectly honest, I had no intention of working on this one. Stormshield gave me +35% and I was happy with that.
    - My resistances look ok. Cold and lightning resists are guarenteed to hit max resistance. Fire has a chance depending on the stats of my anni and torch. Poison cannot possibly be maxed. It can get damn close if my charm and anni have perfect stats, but that's not very likely.
    - My magic find gets to be 313%. That's pretty much where I wanted it exactly. If anything, I could make it a little lower. Possibly drop Nagelring for a better ring or get rid of Gheed's Charm for another Sorc GC. If I go with the Sorc GC, I could switch the life charms for FHR charms and hit the 8 FPH breakpoint. Or I could possibly work on getting max poison resistance.
    -My one major fear is life. I don't really have that many straight pluses to life, nor do I have a lot of pluses to VIT. On top of that, since I'm going max block, my natural vitality won't be insanely high.
    -From my gear, I'm getting +50-70 To Dexterity and +30-50 to Strength (Excluding the +30 from Stormshield). So, keeping in mind that over the course of the game, you get 505 stat points to play with at 99, that means my stat placement should look something like this:
    106 - 126 pts into strength
    142 - 162 pts into dexterity
    217 - 257 pts into vitality
    0 into energy

EDIT: The ranges in numbers come from the Anni and Torch, which I haven't finalized.

Last edited: Jul 25, 2010
  11. Shanksie1337

Most Light sorcs go for 117 fcr, not a clue about bot sorcs :|

12. ElasticPanda

For the Lightning/Chain Lightning FCR BP?

13. Shanksie1337

yes .

14. ElasticPanda

Ok, good suggestion. I just need to figure out how I would get the extra 15% FCR. The only real spots I see where it could be achievable would be the rings. Would it be worth dropping the SoJ and Nagel for 2 FCR rings? That would give me an extra 20% FCR as well as a few other random effects. Dropping Nagel wouldn't be that huge a loss. I'd still have decent MF. Dropping SoJ, on the other hand, means I'd have a smaller mana pool and would lose a +1 to all skill points. Worth it?

15. Shanksie1337

I dunno tbh, I never get round to making a Light Sorc, maybe this ladder I will, tho with HR's costing what they do, it will be a while until i see an Infinity.

16. Doctor Clock

Doctor Clock IncGamers Member

edit: Was going to suggest Arachnid Mesh, but then I saw you are using 3piece Tal's so probably won't work.

17. droid

droid IncGamers Member

You could drop SS for Spirit, that'd give you the FCR you need...and all the FHR you need, to boot.

Of course you'd have to drop the max block idea, but I dont really see what need a pure light sorc has for max block. Unless you're a CB sorc, you should be TPing far enough away that you're not taking that many blockable (ie, non-elemental-missile) hits, and your merc will be sufficient for taking the heat for the short, short time your enemies remain alive. Plus that frees up a whole lot of dex for vit, which will make CtA a lot more worthwhile...CtA on a max-block sorc doesnt give a very noticeable life bonus, since much of your total life actually comes from un-BO-able sources on your gear.

Or did you decide to go PvP with the sorc instead?

Pure light sorcs are all about offense, at least in Softcore, and being able to clear levels as fast as possible...

18. ElasticPanda

So you suggest dropping the DEX/Max Block in favor of straight VIT? Or should I go with an ES build?

EDIT: On second thought, that's a bit of a stupid question, since that seems to be a matter of preference amongst lite sorcs. Anyway, after a bit of an unpleasant start, I think I've gotten quite a bit of help to go on. Thanks everyone!

Last edited: Jul 26, 2010
  19. Shanksie1337

Dropping dex/block for vita - at least i would on a sc sorc using spirit.

20. nurman

nurman IncGamers Member

Wait till Gorny hears about this...