Socket quest and socket recipe

xyzthorakzyx

Diabloii.Net Member
Socket quest and socket recipe

If I do the socket quest will I always get maximum sockets? I am in need of a trapclaw and I have bought a magic claw from anya hell. How many sockets can I expect to get from the socket quest? How many form the socket recipe?

Myrakh-2

Diabloii.Net Member
I believe magic items get 1 or 2 sockets, randomly, although that's probably capped so you don't get 2 sockets in an item that can only get one .-)

I don't think there is a socket recipe for magic items --- the one that I seem to remember rerolls the item as well.

stkrause

Diabloii.Net Member
Shaven Monkee said:
How many sockets will a "white" item get?
With the quest it will get the max number it can get, either because of its item type or because of its ilvl (ie items unter lvl25 won't get more than 3 sockets)

The recipe will give you a random number between one and max sockets; a possibility of 1/6 for every number of sockets except the maximum number, which will get the "missing" probabiliy. (eg an item that will get max 4 sockets has a 1/6 probability for 1, 2 and 3 sockets each and a 1/2 probability for 4 sockets)

*stkrause

Ebuski

Diabloii.Net Member
It may be a rumor but I always thought if you used your socket quest with an item over the level needed in hell mode you got max sockets for white items

Leohappy

Diabloii.Net Member
Shaven Monkee said:
How many sockets will a "white" item get?
The amount of sockets a white item can get depends on item level (item level depends on monster who dropped it and difficulty level). The number of sockets an item can get at various ilvls can be found here.

Leohappy

Diabloii.Net Member
xyzthorakzyx said:
So if I use the socket quest I will either get 1 or 2 sockets or will I always get the maximum?
- You'll get 1 or 2 sockets on magic (blue) items (50:50 chance).
- You'll get 1 socket on rare/unique/set items
- white items will get a number of sockets according to their item level but will not exceed maximum possible for that item type (basically, any item you find in Nightmare act4/5 and Hell will get max soc - see linky above)

bipolar

Diabloii.Net Member
xyzthorakzyx said:
So if I use the socket quest I will either get 1 or 2 sockets or will I always get the maximum?
As has been stated in this thread already:
White/eth items: Always max sockets *if* iLvl is high enough
Blue items: 1-2 sockets randomly
Gold: 1 socket

Only ones I'm not 100% sure about are Green (1 socket, or non-socketable) and Yellow (1, or 1-2 randomly)

The above is with socket quest. Socket recipe gives 1-2 randomly for blue iirc, and a random number (limited by iLvl and item type) to white/eth.