Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Social Trends and Issues #2: The Grocery store parking lot... der=

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by faultless wonderboy, Apr 7, 2004.

1. faultless wonderboy

faultless wonderboy IncGamers Member

Social Trends and Issues #2: The Grocery store parking lot...

This thread will make much more sense to those of you who frequent the wal-mart, due to the fact that it is the EVERYTHING store, not just groceries. The trend I am seeing (actually, I have noticed it for some time, I would argue it appeared around the same time that the massive shopping centered popped up) is the grotesquely lazy folks who choose to wait on a patron who has completed his or her shopping errands and has moved on to the car loading stage of the grocery shopping process.

The indolent individual, usually occupying a dodge caravan or, oddly enough, a ford expedition, will wait upwards of ten minutes for the car loaders to finish.The issue I have is their wanton disregard for those behind them. It also seems silly, as I drive around, park further away, and wave at them, still seated comfortably filthy laziness, as I stroll into the store. Another issue is the fact that, most of the time, the occupants of said expedition/caravan are quite capable. That is, young and agile. They are not usually the decrepit or frail geriatrics or handicaps one might expect.

Is this laziness, plain and simple? Or is it efficiency, as the day is long and, for many people quite arduous?

Confabulate...

2. Vorzheva

Vorzheva IncGamers Member

Whenever I HAVE to go to Wal-Mart, I take one of the parking spaces that are in the far back. There's less chance to give into that urge to run people down while they're slowly crossing the street and smirking at you.

3. Steve_Kow

Steve_Kow Banned

I usually park far away from the door for these reasons:

1. My car is less likely to get scratched.

2. I'm young and healthy, and a minute of walking isn't going to kill me.

3. It isn't worth it to spend 5 minutes searching for an ideal spot to avoid 1 minute of walking.

4. faultless wonderboy

No. 3 doesnt seem to register with alot of people, if only they could be made to understand

5. Corneo

Corneo IncGamers Member

If only people will realize #3 works the same for gas too. You might have to drive across town/state/country to get that gas which is 5 cents cheaper. But the cost for the return trip will outweigh your $3 saving.

6. zodiac66

zodiac66 IncGamers Member

That bugs me to an extent too. I find the first open spot and pull in. This happens at all stores, not just those discount ones.

WallyMart does have this silly "Pregant or New Mother" parking space. I could never understand that. When I was preggy I tried to walk as much as possible. After I had Samara, I still tried to walk as much as possible.

7. Yaboosh

Yaboosh IncGamers Member

You become an expert at the exercise you condemn here in Tallahassee simply because there are NO parking spots available on campus from around 9am to 1pm. If you want one, you have to literally hunt one down. I have sat in a row of a parking lot waiting for a spot for a half an hour before having gotten one. You learn to be quite adept at getting parking spaces once you need to hunt one down.

If there are parking spaces available, then they are just lazy.

8. th5418

th5418 Banned

I'm with Steve_Kow. Might as well get some exercise. I will not die by walking about a couple meters. No, I don't do that faultless, I put stuff in the trunk.

9. faultless wonderboy

I did that drill many times at the res halls here at OSU. This is referring to those who wait for a spot when they pass one not five cars previous...

10. dorcusmalorcus

dorcusmalorcus IncGamers Member

Yes, these people exhibit signs of true laziness, but the people that really epitomize laziness are the people that wait on a space in the parking lot of the gym. So, let me see, you're going to workout on a treadmill, lift some weights, burn some calories, but you had to wait on the parking space close to the gym because you didn't want to walk from a farther space. :scratch:

11. LunarSolaris

LunarSolaris IncGamers Member

I'm apt to agree that it's pure laziness more than anything else (for the reason's Steve & others have already pointed out). This seeming lack of foresight (i.e. that it would actually be easier to just park a little further away than to circle the parking lot 300 times (or wait 10 minutes) for the "best" possible spot. People don't often think logically about it.

This same principle applies to rush-hour traffic... in that - the idiot in the Suburban who dangerously zips around you JUST to get ahead of you... which saves them a grand total of maybe 10 seconds on their commute... but yet they put yours and their life at risk by driving like a total ***.

12. maccool

maccool IncGamers Member

Ooooh, speaking of what Lunar was speaking of... :scratch:

What's up with those cats that ride your tail, zip around you and end up in front of you at the next red light? I nominate them for the same classification as the parking lot stalkers.

For the love of Jeebus, walk the extra damn 30 feet you fat clowns! Note: should not be said to anyone aloud.

I'm so glad I don't have to drive anymore. I have thrown off the shackles of the oppressor! Or something.

13. Ash Housewares

Ash Housewares IncGamers Member

yea, don't want to offend the jeebus freaks

14. faultless wonderboy

Ill have to one up the previous two statements by adding malicious to the adjectives describing the already voraciously lazy. One thing I cannot stand are those who speed through school zones. You know how much time you save doing that? about 4 seconds. And lets not forget the added danger of squashing small school children. Maliciously lazy.

15. Kitten~The~Evil

Kitten~The~Evil IncGamers Member

Do any of you people live in the South (US)?

If it's July or August, I will actually try to find a good spot - or make my husband drop me off at the door, then he can walk through the 100+ humid weather from the rear of the lot. :D I have also been known to wait until late at night to shop just to avoid the congestion and heat - anyone who lives in a city like this (Houston, TX) will understand.

Otherwise, I take the first spot I can find - time is too precious to waste

16. Xynrx

Xynrx IncGamers Member

What I really don't understand is the attitude most of my friends have. If we go to a resturant or the movies or a pool hall or something, I just drive from the front toward the back. If there is a spot on the way, then good for me and I take it. If not, I just pick one of the spots near the empty back of the clogged area of parked cars. This is when it always happens. I pull into the spot, and one of my friends would pipe up: "What are you doing? Go park closer." I honestly don't know what compels people to park a WHOLE 15 SECOND WALK closer. The mind-numbing thing is the answers I get. I ask: "Why? Why should I back up out of this spot, then go search for a spot that is slightly closer to the door when it would take less time to just get out of the car right now and start walking. Are you that lazy? What is it? Do your feet hurt? Can't walk? Why? Tell me, please." The response is one of two, always: "Cause it's closer, duh" or "It's cold out there."

:rant:

17. Satrina

Satrina IncGamers Member

Yep, loads of people do that. So horribly annoying. I'd always take more time than normal, making them wait even longer :evil:

Thing is, I have one of those disabled badges now. And you still get that at times in those spaces. And even worse, you get jerks parking in the spaces without being disabled. Man that irks me.

18. zodiac66

zodiac66 IncGamers Member

Sat, I have yelled at people for that. My mom is handicapped and I usually try to let her off at the door. If she is alone, she has to walk because of the people who are parked in the handicapped zone without a placard or plates. Nothing worse than seeing a physically fit person parking in the handicapped zone. I know they are physically fit because I see them get out of the car and walk at a pace faster than the average handicapped person. I realize there are handicaps that are not visible, but if you can sprint to the door, you don't need the space. Save it for someone on oxygen or in a wheelchair.

19. Satrina

Satrina IncGamers Member

Yep, I've gotten a few looks, since mine isn't blatently obvious. But even when I was worse off, Fibro in more of a full swing, I wouldn't let Hubby park in the spots before we had the badge thing. And if I'm having a good day, we don't use them either. I just always feel like there could be someone that needs it more than me.

20. faultless wonderboy

I live in stillwater(ok), soon to be the dallas area and I still think its silly. Its a whole 20 seconds more of walking, AT MOST. If a close spot is taken, I usually take it, but I want to get in, get my necessaries and get out.

With that in mind, I would argue that some people spend more time searching for a close spot than they do in the store, its just plain silly. Now, for those who need the spot for medical reasons, I understand. Due to this fact, as well as out of respect for older people, I often park in the back because I know I can handle it, save the spot for someone who might need it I say....