Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Social trends and Issues #1

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by faultless wonderboy, Apr 1, 2004.

1. faultless wonderboy

faultless wonderboy IncGamers Member

Social trends and Issues #1

In the style of Immortal's recent "the OTF debate(*date*), I thought Id started a similar series of threads devoted to debating various social issues and trends, so I decided to call it..."social issues and trends" (#). What is the difference you may ask? Well, not a whole lot, except for I pose the question/issue, not immortal. You may be asking, "but faultless, isnt this just a tad unoriginal, are you not ripping off someone else's idea?"...My answer to both questions is...yes, now leave me alone and get to debating. So, without further ado, the issue...

A short time ago I was watching some weekly news magazine (dateline, etc), which told the story of Kelci Stringer and her dead Husband Korey. For those of you who don't know Korey Stringer, he was a football player for the Minnesota viking who died at spring training due to heat exhaustion/stroke/dehydration, etc. Now, Kelci Stringer is suing the vikings and the NFL. She says that the football culture is too brutal, that health and safety aren't taken seriously.

How much money will she get from this? I dont know, it wasnt part of the issue. I believe that the particular network was taking Stringers side on the debate, so money wasn't mentioned, it was more about "the safety of the players". However, I would argue that the sum is quite large, being that the NFL and one of its franchises are involved.

Now for the obvious point, suing and similar sorts of litigation happen alot nowadays (the trend). It has become the new american dream, an easy way to make some quick change. Its like a lottery where one can influence the outcome, given the right circumstances. This practice has had a very large, very negative impact on many parts of society, like the medical field. Doctors are getting sued for doing their jobs and making a mistake (it happens, but I do realize that many are just bad/dishonest doctors). Malpractice insurance goes up, so our insurance rates and such go up.

My question(the issue) is this...how responsible is a single man for his own affairs/actions? Stringer was a football player, a rigorous sport; was he responsible for taking his own water and rest? Or was it the coachs or trainers responsibility? When an individual dies in the care of a doctor, when the risks are known and their participation deliberate, is the doctor to blame or is it simply bad luck? Is litigation against these situations called for?

If you've read this far, thank you...now debate...

2. Ting

Ting IncGamers Member

Korey Stringer's death is unfortunate, but he knew what he was up against when he signed that fat multi-million dollar contract. Pro athletes train very hard, and these things happen.

3. {KOW}Spazed

{KOW}Spazed Banned

I back that 100%

He should have known to keep hydrated. It is not the coachs or the NFLs to make sure personal matters are taken care of. I isn't like he couldn't have said "Coach I am feeling kind of sick" he wouldn't have gotten thrown off the team, he would have been made to sit in the shade drinkning water. Personally I think it was his fault. . .then again people win these types of things once in a while.

4. memememe173

memememe173 IncGamers Member

If every one on the team got sick etc. after the program that killed him, then you have a legitimate argument...but until then...it's tragic but nothing more

5. Kitana

Kitana IncGamers Member

Totally agreed. It's also been reported that he was using an Ephedrine-based supplement.

Source (if you dont like this source, then just Google it, I found many stories about it)

It's not like they were doing a new practice that year, they do it every year. He could have gotten himself water, or stopped. No one is sitting there with a gun to his head forcing him to do it. I read in other stories that she's looking for $100 million plus. Wow, is that a lot of money. Of course, you can't really place a price on someone's life... but I don't think it was the Viking's "fault" that he died in that practice.

6. faultless wonderboy

Im going to play devil's advocate just to spark further debate. I noticed that a few of you have remarked that he could have stopped to get a drink or rest. Ms. Stringer says that the culture of football does not allow such breaks, anyone who takes a break outside the alotted or routine time is considered less hard or tough.

Also, I think Kitana makes an interesting point. Is their a price on life? I would say no. The fact is is that people die, its in our nature to (thanks marcus aurelius). How can one litigate death?

7. memememe173

memememe173 IncGamers Member

In that case there's something wrong with the NFL, but they still shouldn't be sued...if you feel that awful and won't stop, because you think your penis will shrink...natural selection...and the price on life is 42

8. faultless wonderboy

Huh? (10101010)

9. MagiusTheGrey

MagiusTheGrey IncGamers Member

I dont think she has any argument. Football has always been rough. Hell, there is more safety and protection in the game now than there ever has been.

The fact of the matter is Korey Stringer was using Ephedra, which can rapidly accelerate the heart rate when doing strenuous physical activity. The only claim she has against the Vikes and the NFL is if someone in the vikes organization(trainer or coach) told him to use and supplied the supplement during practice.

As far as stopping to rest or get a break: youre at spring training, there is not as much stress on being in absolutely wonderful shape as there is during July and August when youve been working and conditioning for months on end. If you cant do the drill, then stand aside for a few until you can. With all the breaks players get in games, standing aside for a minute or two in practice shouldnt hurt his position on the depth chart at all.

10. Yaboosh

Yaboosh IncGamers Member

And if it does? Would that make you feel any differently about the situation? I dont know about you guys, but I would think that if stopping during spring training would possibly jeopardize your standing on the team that would kinda pressure me from stopping, to the point of risking my health a little bit. I mean, who wants to lose such a lucrative contract, or even risk it?

11. MagiusTheGrey

MagiusTheGrey IncGamers Member

The very fact that he signed such a lucrative contract is proof that he will not be cut loose for simply stopping for a second in spring practice. Nfl teams pay these people a lot of money, specifically to put their body at risk. Health is a major concern for both players and coaches/trainers who run practices. It is in the NFL and each individual teams best interests to keep their players, most of whom earn more than half a million dollars a year, very healthy.

More talented players get paid more money. If he is the best player talent wise, then, especially in the NFL where better players get more money, he will not sit or lose his contract for simply admitting he was not as in shape as he needed to be and take a few drills off.

12. Geeno

Geeno IncGamers Member

A pro athlete, above all others, should know what physical limits their body can extend to. I wouldnt succeed in professional football. Infact most people on earth would not. That is why this man has a large salary in the first place. Supply/demand, right?

The Football cutlure is too brutal? The pot smoking culture is forgetful, am I going to cry if no one remembers my birthday?

If someone ameteur died from this stuff, I could see reason for concern. But someone whos profession is based around their body should have complete knowledge of what it can handle and what is going into it.

13. faultless wonderboy

I gather that the consensus says that litigation in this instance was unecessary. But Is this usually the case? In general, are such cases that are going to court justified? Is the judicial system overstepping its bounds by adjudicating negligence, or more specifically, the perception of negligence? Are these people in it for the money or do they feel that they have a great inequity to rectify?

14. Geeno

Geeno IncGamers Member

If you want to get into that, Id say our entire justice system sucks. Especially criminal justice.

15. My_Immortal6

My_Immortal6 IncGamers Member

Agreed. I have been learning alot about human rights and it is appauling what goes on sometimes.

16. DurfBarian

DurfBarian IncGamers Member

Leave Paul out of it.

I think the NFL is an industry where a premium is placed on the health and physical safety of the players. The teams are investing millions of dollars in these guys and will do anything possible to keep them in perfect working order. For this reason I don't think a lawsuit based on describing the industry as an unhealthy, unsafe one will fly . . .