Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

So, you like movies?

Discussion in 'Hardcore' started by doubleOObubble, Feb 24, 2004.

1. doubleOObubble

doubleOObubble IncGamers Member

2. Mn_Swe2

Mn_Swe2 IncGamers Member

3. mali

mali IncGamers Member

That rocked. Gogo Cecil B DeMille!

4. SonOfRah

SonOfRah IncGamers Member

Grats on the find.

Just out of interest, what did you use to capture the game screen and encode?

5. doubleOObubble

Video card with s-video out and cloned view. Recorded with a standalone DVD-recorder. So, the picture is in DVD-format, though analogally recorded!

As the recorder burns RAM and DVD-R, I use the RAM as a "portable HD" and copy the movie to my comp. Because it's DVD, the files are quite large. So, if I'd like to show a whole run or something, I'd have to compress it alot more.

So, in short: It's no software capture, simply a standalone recorder and a dual-output video card :)

6. Mn_Swe2

Mn_Swe2 IncGamers Member

Would be so much fun to have to record my hunting advetures, I must look into this :lol:

/Magnus

7. doubleOObubble

Yeah, under the 1h 40mins just now, I recorded finding Reaper's Toll, Jade talon, Verdugo's and the Harle. Actually, it's also for being able to see my eventual death sometime :lol:

Anyway, it's pretty fun to do and alot easier if one is to make a "50 Andy runs" compilation ;)

8. SonOfRah

ahh coolio. dvd quality is mpeg-1 i think it is. could rack up some rather large vids then :)

@Mn_Swe2
    Fraps can record the screen but only at the lower d2 screen resolution (so no 800*600). It does a decent job, though make sure you have the cpu/ram to handle it considering d2 is pretty resource intensive.

9. doubleOObubble

Yeah, the 15 sec is 10 MB uncomressed. I have to make it a bit smaller because 1: Not everyone is on broadband and 2: I can only upload 8 MB to the host :lol:

10. SonOfRah

well the vid is 6.3 mb so not that much compression.

I'm guessing that you used microsoft movie maker for your video? If you do alot of video compression/editing you may want to check out VirtualDub which is freeware (I think, my version isn't) or shareware, and it offers quite alot of compression options. The only major requirement for it is that you need the codecs that you wish to encode to installed (or the encoder for those codecs)

11. Mn_Swe2

Mn_Swe2 IncGamers Member

Thx for the tip, but I remember someone here in forum testing it some months ago, and despite he had a pretty powerful machine, it was not made for duelling/hunting :)

So basically I'm stuck with my 400MHz, 256 Ram for now :lol:

/Magnus

12. SonOfRah

Yes and no. It's actually not that bad really, despite d2 being pretty resource intensive (more than the screen capture anyway). The biggest catch is having to play at the lower resolution.....that will generally cut you back down alot.

13. minion

minion IncGamers Member

ewwwww perspective mode :rant:

14. doubleOObubble

Hihi, the first thing I do when installing new Windows OS is to manually remove "windows movie maker" to make room on the OS partition. Keeping it below 2GB for FAT16 folds NO room for nooooooob programs :lol:.

There are TONS of free movie utilities out there. I used to use Virtualdub extensively back when I had a video capturing card, but it's not the best DVD-authoring tool out there... It's great for editing AVIs though :)

15. sohcan

sohcan IncGamers Member

Nice vid, gratz. :)

Helpful hint for anyone having video playback problems with any type of vids, I find that VLC player works nicely. VLC is an open source project released under the GPL and it's ported to a ton of different os's and plays basically any format. http://www.videolan.org/

Fat 16? Why are you using a fat16 file system? *scratches his noogin* NTFS actually works decent, much better than the older ones.

16. doubleOObubble

For small partitions (2 GB in this case), FAT16>FAT32>NTFS. NTFS is faster and more efficient when using larger partitions (heard the threshold lies at about 40 GB).

Anyway, I was unintentionally lying, because I realized I reformatted the OS partition to FAT32 a while back. Anyway, at that size, FAT is better than NTFS, especially for an OS partition :)

17. SonOfRah

I use either winamp to watch my video's or media player 2 (same folder that windows media player is in).

Codec's isn't an issue as I stay away from codec packs (I give an exception to the matroska codec pack), and stick with individual codecs. I haven't had a problem with not playing movie files at all.

18. sohcan

sohcan IncGamers Member

Perhaps I have just had a bit of bad luck, but I started coming across files that wouldn't play in either of the players you mentioned. Outside of that I spend basically all of my non-gaming time running linux/bsd and I found vlc ran beautifully for me on any os I run. The whole conundrum was solved for me with an all in one client that runs on any os similar to the way I managed to find a nice all in one messenging client. I don't mind tinkering sometimes but some things I prefer they just work, and I find vlc does. But then again I am not the world's biggest microsoft fan these days. ;)

19. EEJ

EEJ IncGamers Member

Can't open it

"Class not registered"

20. sohcan

sohcan IncGamers Member

Close... ReiserFS>all of the above ;)

geek joke :D