Latest Diablo 3 News
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

So Windowed Mode....What's the difference?

Discussion in 'Diablo 2 Community Forum' started by BeniZxLeGenD, Sep 1, 2010.

1. BeniZxLeGenD

BeniZxLeGenD Diabloii.Net Member

So Windowed Mode....What's the difference?

So, I see all these videos on youtube and people talking about everywhere, but is it really worth scaling it down to half the size of my screen, just for a slight improvement in the quality of just about everything on there?

I've had a few death situations because I click off the screen by accident, and it's always in the most dangerous moments. That's the reason why I switched back to fullscreen. The only downside to being in fullscreen in my case, is that 3dfx Glide/D3d will not run the game.

What do you guys think? Do you prefer the higher quality textures of windowed mode, or would you rather have it fill your screen without the hazard of clicking on your desktop in some sticky situations?

2. ffejrxx

ffejrxx Diabloii.Net Member

Re: So Windowed Mode....What's the difference?

-w forces ddraw(2d) mode, unless you add -glide or -d3d

setting D2VidTst.exe to 2d, and removing -w will set it to ddraw mode full screen

using the glide wrapper you can set it to be windowed and capture the mouse

3. crawlingdeadman

crawlingdeadman Diabloii.Net Member

i do a couple things to lessen the risk of deaths due to off click, one is i move the window into the upper right-hand corner of the monitor so that i only have two sides that will actually click off of the window. the other thing is i make sure that i only have one other program open so that i can quickly alt+tab back to D2. i've dueled quite a bit in window mode, accidentally clicking off screen many times and i can honestly say i dont remember that specific thing getting me killed even in the frantic clicking pace of pvp.

i like window mode especially since they got rid of the stupid minimize when it loses focus thing. it makes using a calculator, notepad, or w/e possible. as well as i can watch a video while playing.

4. ffejrxx

ffejrxx Diabloii.Net Member

@cdm, thats where the 2nd monitor comes in handy :p

5. BeniZxLeGenD

BeniZxLeGenD Diabloii.Net Member

I never knew about -glide or -d3d, going to try that now. I've been playing in windowed mode for a few hours, and it's helpful being able to come on here and other sites AND listen to music, but the small size of the window really puts me off.

6. reddude

reddude Diabloii.Net Member

It just takes some getting used to. I found it weird at first, but now I never click off the screen. Also I can;t stand the look of full screen anymore :/ It's great to be able to surf some trading sites while you chill in a pvp game or something.