So who truly cares more? Liberals or Conservatives?

KillerAim

Diabloii.Net Member
So who truly cares more? Liberals or Conservatives?

How many times have we heard the refrain that Conservatives are cold-hearted bastards who do not care for those in need while Liberals are compassionate souls who believe in helping everyone in Society, no matter what their circumstances?

Well, as the song says, it ain't necessarily so. Taken from here
A new book, titled "Who Really Cares" by Arthur C. Brooks examines the actual behavior of liberals and conservatives when it comes to donating their own time, money, or blood for the benefit of others…

What are those facts?

People who identify themselves as conservatives donate money to charity more often than people who identify themselves as liberals. They donate more money and a higher percentage of their incomes.

It is not that conservatives have more money. Liberal families average 6 percent higher incomes than conservative families.

You may recall a flap during the 2000 election campaign when the fact came out that Al Gore donated a smaller percentage of his income to charity than the national average. That was perfectly consistent with his liberalism.

So is the fact that most of the states that voted for John Kerry during the 2004 election donated a lower percentage of their incomes to charity than the states that voted for George W. Bush.

Conservatives not only donate more money to charity than liberals do, conservatives volunteer more time as well. More conservatives than liberals also donate blood.

According to Professor Brooks: "If liberals and moderates gave blood at the same rate as conservatives, the blood supply of the United States would jump about 45 percent."

Professor Brooks admits that the facts he uncovered were the opposite of what he expected to find -- so much so that he went back and checked these facts again, to make sure there was no mistake.
Comments?

DPH

Diabloii.Net Member
I knew it! Liberals are more successful than conservatives because they make 6% more money!

SaroDarksbane

Diabloii.Net Site Pal
Oh God, the labels, the labels! I wish we could steer ourselves away from the completely arbitrary labels we put on people.

Does thinking the Iraq war was a mistake make you a liberal?
Does being pro-life make you a conservative?
What do you call someone who is against the Iraq war and also pro-life?

I'm so sick of the "Ooohh, he's a liberal. Watch out for him." or the "Oooh, I thought you said you were a conservative. That's liberal talk." garbage. There aren't two cut-and-dried groups, people.

Draconis

Diabloii.Net Member
Oh God, the labels, the labels! I wish we could steer ourselves away from the completely arbitrary labels we put on people.

Does thinking the Iraq war was a mistake make you a liberal?
Does being pro-life make you a conservative?
What do you call someone who is against the Iraq war and also pro-life?

I'm so sick of the "Ooohh, he's a liberal. Watch out for him." or the "Oooh, I thought you said you were a conservative. That's liberal talk." garbage. There aren't two cut-and-dried groups, people.
What are you, some kinda commie?

SmittySixTen

Diabloii.Net Member
Yes, and electoral campaigns are charities, too. :rolleyes:

Note: I don't actually think donating to companies was considered a donation to charity, but it wouldn't surprise me if it were.

EDIT: Oh, by the way, last I saw only something like 28% (the number may have gone up or down considerably, because it was from a few polls like 3 years ago or something) of the country considered itself "Liberal", so it wouldn't surprise me if they contributed less money. The book makes it seem like the vast majority of people who voted against the republicans didn't donate squat, and it may not be true at all. Oh politics, how silly you are.

Amra

Diabloii.Net Member
Not really surprising to me either but it's kind of splitting hairs to me.

In my volunteer fire department, I work side by side with people who are very liberal and very pro abortion. Yet they volunteer their time to help people in need. So at least on some issues - helping our neighbors - we are all pulling the cart in the same direction.

SaroDarksbane

Diabloii.Net Site Pal
Rather than splitting people into Liberals and Conservatives, it would be more interesting to see a breakdown of charity by certain issues.

For instance, who volunteers more at women's shelters, pro-choicers or pro-lifers? It is, of course, entirely irrelevant to the abortion debate, but it would be an interesting statistic nonetheless.

jimmyboy

Diabloii.Net Member
How many times have we heard the refrain that Conservatives are cold-hearted bastards who do not care for those in need while Liberals are compassionate souls who believe in helping everyone in Society, no matter what their circumstances?

Well, as the song says, it ain't necessarily so. Taken from here

Comments?
All of the conservatives I know are great people and are representative of this group. They do a ton of charity work as well as provide donations. I was not surprise one bit.

Unfortunately, their elected representatives ... the GOP failed them miserably. Unjust wars, overpriced medication, corrupted lobbyists, cronyism, overspending, voodoo economics, etc.

It's unfortunate that conservatives are being cast ugly like the GOP. We know that they're not.

AeroJonesy

Diabloii.Net Member
I wonder how much tithing factors into this.

"More conservatives than liberals also donate blood."
I guess it really is blood for oil...

zodiac66

Diabloii.Net Member
So at least on some issues - helping our neighbors - we are all pulling the cart in the same direction.
That was something I never understood. Do party lines either preclude you or expect you to help neighbors? Do political agendas really dictate how you act towards your fellow countryman? I say countryman because I do honestly believe as a country, we give way too much aid to everyone else. I am strictly talking fellow citizens here.

SmittySixTen

Diabloii.Net Member
Another aspect I just thought of is cost of living. It costs more to live in many of the states that voted Democrat than it does in the states that voted Republican. Also, the states that voted Republican tend to receive more support from the government than those who voted Democrat (especially since Bush took office).

So now I'm sitting here going, "well no **** they didn't donate as much to charity". Anyway, pretty sure that’s more than my $.02 so I’ll be quiet now. :)

zodiac66

Diabloii.Net Member
I wonder if they factor in time. Heck, Liam volunteers an hour of his school day everyday to the kindergarden class. Instead of study hall he walks back to where the little kids are and helps them with reading, crafts and computers. Are actions such as that counted?

Amra

Diabloii.Net Member
That was something I never understood. Do party lines either preclude you or expect you to help neighbors? Do political agendas really dictate how you act towards your fellow countryman?
Not for most people I think. I think it's a personal thing rather than political.

myleftfoot

Diabloii.Net Member

Comments?
Isn't it more to do with their political ideals than their personal actions?

But as the books suggests, who cares?

Star Dust

Diabloii.Net Member
And we all know that "truly caring" does not include the political/economic policies/ideologies liberals and conservatives favor and the effect they have on the less fortunate.

:rolleyes: