So, who likes shooting dogs?

Drosselmeier

Diabloii.Net Member
It was done in a really stupid way, but some of the reactions are even more stupid.

Aftonbladet, the largest swedish daily, is trying to make something out of the fact that swedish UN-soldiers have shot 5000 strays in the last four years. What they forget is that the dogs are pretty much feral. Packs of wild dogs, some of them diseased, roam residential areas, and that´s not good. The locals have asked the soldiers to help them out with their dog problem and the soldiers have. That´s a good thing.

I wouldn´t want to have what is practically rabid wolfpacks running around my neighbourhood. Of course... wolves would be better than dogs in a way since wolves are shy and generally try to stay out of mans way if possible.

EDIT: The norwegians who made the film should of course be disciplined in some way.
 

Savage

Diabloii.Net Member
Sick, yes, but it always annoys me when people "demand explanations" from those in authority. It's not like this was an official action, it's just some sick bastards who happen to be soldiers shooting a dog. It's like anyone but themselves is accountable for it. That said, I'd like to see them brought up on cruelty to animal charges.
 

Drosselmeier

Diabloii.Net Member
Savage said:
Sick, yes, but it always annoys me when people "demand explanations" from those in authority. It's not like this was an official action, it's just some sick bastards who happen to be soldiers shooting a dog. It's like anyone but themselves is accountable for it. That said, I'd like to see them brought up on cruelty to animal charges.
Actually, I suspect the soldiers were ordered to shoot strays. I know swedish soldiers had a standing order to shoot all strays they came across and I´d be surprised if the norwegians didn´t have a similar order.

Both the locals and UN-personell asked the military to do something about the problem. Swedish soldiers were ordered to deal with this problem whenever they came across it and had the time.

Again, it could have been done in a better way, but this is really getting blown out of proportion.
 

Silvermyst

Diabloii.Net Member
Drosselmeier said:
Aftonbladet, the largest swedish daily, is trying to make something out of the fact that swedish UN-soldiers have shot 5000 strays in the last four years. What they forget is that the dogs are pretty much feral. Packs of wild dogs, some of them diseased, roam residential areas, and that´s not good. The locals have asked the soldiers to help them out with their dog problem and the soldiers have. That´s a good thing.
Well there's a case of the media leaving out some pretty important information. That puts a different spin on things.
But all things aside, if that video exists in the way that article claims it's been made, whoever made it is just sick.
 

Kore

Diabloii.Net Member
"Another episode shows a dog on a leash outside a house being shot."

Somehow i don't think they were shooting a stray there.
 

Drosselmeier

Diabloii.Net Member
Kore said:
"Another episode shows a dog on a leash outside a house being shot."

Somehow i don't think they were shooting a stray there.
They could have put the dog on a leash to get a good shot at it. If they came across a dog they felt they needed to put down and weren´t equipped to do it from a long range, maybe they put it on a leash to be able to get a good shot at it with a pistol. I don´t really know, but the dog being on a leash doesn´t mean that it was a pet. I don´t think they would go around joy-killing pets and get possibly get reported for it when there are thousands of strays running around.

I think that making a video of dogs getting shot is pretty sick... Hellfire sick even. I haven´t seen the video and I don´t intend to, but I think that the larger context should be remembered and that one should not draw to many conclusions about this without seing the video.

The media here are trying to make a big deal out of the fact that soldiers put down dogs who are a danger to the public. I´m hoping it won´t fly, but I fear it will. It´s absolute BS and a beautiful illustration of why one shouldn´t put to much stock into what the media says.

I think that if the soldiers in the video have acted inaproprietly they should be punished, but the issue is not the shooting of dogs, the issue is in what way it is done.
 

Drosselmeier

Diabloii.Net Member
justray said:
Drosselmeier,

Do you have any references, or are you just guessing (hoping)?
I have references but most people here don´t read swedish. That´s why I haven´t posted any links so far.

From http://www.aftonbladet.se/vss/nyheter/story/0,2789,436430,00.html

"- Vi fick order att skjuta hundar som kunde tänkas sprida sjukdomar. Men många blev skjutna för att det var kul, säger en före detta officer."

We were ordered to shoot dogs that were possible carriers of disease. But a lot were shot for fun, says an ex officer.

"En soldat som själv skjutit 38 hundar säger:
- Lokalbefolkningen kom och frågade oss om vi kunde hjälpa dem med hundarna. Vi gjorde det i mån av tid. Hundarna var ett stort problem, de attackerade människor och spred sjukdomar.
- Vid ett tillfälle sköts en hund som hade ägare av misstag. Det gjordes en utredning och ägaren ersattes.
Henrik Berger, pressinformatör på den svenska utlandsstyrkan, bekräftar att soldaterna fått i uppdrag att skjuta hundar."

A soldier who personally shot 38 dogs says:
- The locals approached us and asked if we could help them deal with the dogs. We did it when we had the time. The dogs were a big problem, they attacked people and spread disease.
- At one time a tame dog was shot by mistake. An inquiry was made and the owner was compensated.
Henrik Berger, pressinformer of the swedish force, confirms that the soldiers had been ordered to shoot dogs.

"- I Kosovo har både lokalbefolkningen och FN-personal bett oss skjuta hundar. De utgör ett hot mot befolkningen och sprider sjukdomar, säger han."

In Kosovo both the local population and UN-personell have asked us to shoot dogs. They are a threat to the populace and spread disease, he says.

My translation.
 

DurfBarian

Diabloii.Net Member
Drosselmeier said:
They could have put the dog on a leash to get a good shot at it. If they came across a dog they felt they needed to put down and weren´t equipped to do it from a long range, maybe they put it on a leash to be able to get a good shot at it with a pistol.
Your translated quotes in your later post help clear things up a bit, but this statement is kind of silly: If you can get up close and actually put a leash around the animal's neck then you're certainly able to put a bullet in it.
 

LunarSolaris

Diabloii.Net Member
Thanks Dross for the translation... that was quite helpful. I clicked your link and the first thing that came to me was "my eyes!! my god, my eyes!" :D

Kidding aside though, I'd definitely think that there should be more investigation of this, because if there were "pleasure" or thrill-killing involved where an animal suffered for the amusement of anyone, then I think that they need to have their own liver served to themself on a platter.
 
Top