Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

So which one to run for sojs?

Discussion in 'Diablo 2 Community Forum' started by double d, Mar 8, 2004.

1. double d

double d IncGamers Member

So which one to run for sojs?

Normal baal or nightmare andy? Heard those two are best, so i was thinking, i can use some extra sojs ;) might wanna start running them :p

Double D

2. toader

toader Banned

I would do andy.

I do hell andy ALOT...trust me, she drops ALOT of jewlery. Be prepared for a ton of manald rings.

3. Usufruct

Usufruct IncGamers Member

Baal has a significantly lower chance to drop unique rings. Additionally, normal Baal is level 60, whereas nightmare Andarial is level 49. Therefore Normal Baal can drop both dwarf star and raven frost rings, while Nightmare Andarial cannot.

So from unique ring drops from NM Andarial, you have a 1/31 chance of the ring being a Stone of Jordan. From Normal Baal, you have a 1/51 chance, and he drops unique rings much less often. Still you may do thousands of runs before you actually find a Stone of Jordan from NM Andarial.

4. Lord Chaos

Lord Chaos IncGamers Member

To get 100 SoJs...you would need to (assuming 500 runes average per SoJ and 3 minutes per run) play for 2 years every day 4 hours a day.

5. Usufruct

Interesting. But you still have a pretty low chance of finding a Stone of Jordan in 500 runs. Let me try and find a post I made about that.

These calculations don't take into account magic find, which would increase the chance that a ring would be unique, thus increasing your chances of finding a stone of jordan.

6. toader

toader Banned

Actually it might come sooner than expected. You just have to have patience, and realize thats all your looking for. This is where most people fail. Thats why I run hell andy, because she can drop most of the other goodies while Im looking for unique rings.

I do hell andy alot...average about 1 to 1.5 minutes doing her (blizzard sorc, 425 MF). Most of the time is spent finding her, it only takes my sorc about 3 seconds to kill andy in hell.

Anyways...my point was, I find a unique ring about every 15-20 runs. Like I said...they are like 75% manalds, but still, they are unique rings.

7. Zenkat

Zenkat IncGamers Member

Since andariels bug lets her drop set/unique/rare items with no mf at all, does mf even play a part in finding unique rings? or is it totally up to andy to drop them?

I really have no idea how it would work while she's bugged.

8. toader

toader Banned

Are you referring to the "talk to Kashya" bug or something like that? I heard rumors of something like that before. I did a little testing with it and didnt notice it making a difference. So if thats the bug your refering too, I think it was just a rumor. If your referring to another bug...which one?

9. Usufruct

I am using her bugged statistics.

Yes, MF does play a part in finding unique rings. Item drops are randomly determined at the time of monster death, and those types are then checked against magic find. So once the game has determined that Andarial will be dropping a ring, it allows magic find to increase the chances of first finding a unique ring, a set ring, a rare ring, and if none of those are picked, it becomes magical. "Bugged Andarial" is just an increased drop rate. You can find set/unique/rare rings from any monster with no mf at all.

Edit: And I don't know if there really is an Andarial bug anyway. Probably a rumor (like toader says)
    [/color]

10. Zenkat

Zenkat IncGamers Member

To clear things up, it IS a bug and its been proven over and over.

There is a very long thread in the bugs area that i did testing in.

To bug her permanently like so many people have and dont even know it, you kill her for her quest, and talk to an npc in that same game. Thats all it takes, from then on she will ALWAYS drop rare/set/unique or failed set/unique items. No gold, scrolls, potions ever. (for that character and difficulty anyway). This will essentially make it so she cannot EVER drop a magic ring, so what im asking is, does mf even play a part if she cannot ever drop a magic ring?

My personal opinion? I dont think mf will make a ring, when set to drop "set" or "rare" by her, into a unique one. So the best idea for Andariel is to run her with as much speed and killing as possible while she's bugged, to get those unique rings faster than an "mf gear" character could.

Seems ive probably answered my own original question. I believe that whole soj finding guide is flawed if you never take into account Andariel always dropping from her specialty drop class.

11. Usufruct

Magic find increases drop chances of first Unique, then set, and then rare. If in fact andarial could not drop magic rings at all (which I find highly doubtful), the "base item type would be rare, and magic find would then only increase her chances of dropping unique and then set rings.

12. Zenkat

Zenkat IncGamers Member

Easiest way to tell? since mf is apparently not a factor with her drops whatsoever.

Have someone do 100 runs with about 400+ mf, and 100 runs with none, on a bugged andariel. Count the # of set/rare/unique rings in each, see if there is any difference at all. Least i hope 100 runs would be enough to show some useful info on this subject...

Perhaps i should take 4 hours to test this myself so i have evidence of what ive been babbling about. >.<