Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

So what are some commonly accepted or even proven MF theories? der

Discussion in 'Diablo 2 Community Forum' started by Lazer LXXVII, Nov 10, 2006.

1. Lazer LXXVII

Lazer LXXVII IncGamers Member

So what are some commonly accepted or even proven MF theories?

Because the whole magic find thing doesnt make sense to me.

I had about 350ish last week, found tons and tons of good stuff, one after the other. At LEAST one unique per Mephisto drop. Then i increased it to about 390-400, and i find one (really bad) unique for every 3 runs.

Back in 1.09 i had like 650 mf, never found ****.

Is there like a sweet spot for mf, or a proven theory?

2. IntelligentX

IntelligentX IncGamers Member

It is just luck.
    And also there's more unique in 1.10 compare to 1.09, where some unique in 1.10, like CoA and Griffon etc, can singlehandly get you rich.

3. ModeratelyConfused

ModeratelyConfused Banned

There isn't really a 'sweet spot'. Simply put, stack on as much MF as possible, and still be able to kill stuff quickly. Just because you stack on 650% MF to get stuff, it still comes down to chance to get something good.

4. Lord Nyax

Lord Nyax Banned

The more mf you have, the higher your chance to get a Magic/Set/Unique item when an item drops. The faster your killing speed, the more items you get. Obviously, having 2k %mf doesn't help if you only make one kill a minute. Balance it. Personally I'd rather kill real fast with ~200% MF than at half that speed with 800%.

:smug:

5. maxusmag

maxusmag IncGamers Member

for one reason or another i find that better items drop at night comared to in the day time.

i have found most of the good stuff at night.

(i doubt this has anything to do with anything)

but that is my general analysis.

6. Lord Nyax

Lord Nyax Banned

Yes, BNet has a time based MF quota. It takes the time of day based on the current time (in Milliseconds), and calculates the % for each unique based on that. During the night, there are, on average, higher %s, so MFing at night is more useful that MFing during the day. Specifically, the % for the "high" uniques, such as CoA and Griffon's Eye, is maximized around 2:00 Eastern, 11:00 PM Western. :badteeth:

:laugh:

:smug:

7. ModeratelyConfused

It could be that you just play more at night, and it seems like better drops.

8. Lyrs

Lyrs IncGamers Member

I agree with the above two posters. I'm always finding stuff when I play, but when I'm not playing, my inventory stops filling up.

It must be a hack or something.

9. AnimeCraze

AnimeCraze IncGamers Member

Probably. My friend's inventory fills up even if he doesn't play. Not too long ago, an enigma appeared.

(no, I did not give him that, someone else he knows did)

10. Albrino

Albrino IncGamers Member

That bastard!

Phreeeeee?

11. jakotaco

jakotaco IncGamers Member

IRL-leeching?
    THAT'S IT!

From now on I'll bring an Ondal's and Annihilus to school and just sit in the back of the classroom doing nothing and hope to learn 15% more than everyone else. :prop:

12. IntelligentX

OMG I will blame you if I learn nothing from a lesson! :laugh:

13. zeskelnec

zeskelnec IncGamers Member

For me what became sure, it is better to run with 0 Mf and get socketables which have much higher trade values than 99.9 % of the dropped uniques (apart from death fathoms, CoA, tyraels and maras).

14. IntelligentX

1337 Post, how 1337 :laugh:

I somehow agree. My bowazon and my riftadin always wander in 8 people games and kill loads of monsters per game. Even I don't get any socketables I still can get as least 3 perfect gems total in a game.
    And also unique will drop even you have zero mf, and it is still possible for two uniques drop at the same time too, although the chances are low, but it does happened to me before :laugh:

15. DjSlayer

DjSlayer IncGamers Member

Even though uniques have little value now in 1.11 (with some exceptions), there are some magicals that yield infinty value like a JMoD or JWoW. With alot of MF those items that drop have an higher propability to be magical and with alot of luck you can find that JMoD. Dunno about you, but i would rather find that JMoD than an 15% Ed 3 socket Archon Plate.

- D.J.

16. Ihmhi

Ihmhi IncGamers Member

I wonder... is the % drop based on random chance or is it a quantifiable number?

Let us say, hypothetically, that a Tal's Ammy has a 1% chance of dropping from Mephisto. Does that mean that it is a random 1% chance, or does that mean that 1 out of 100 Mephistos killed on the entire realm drop one, or does that mean that 1 out of 100 Mephistos you kill drops one?

If it were theory #2, that the percentage is determined by the total number of Mephistos killed, then at night there is probably a good chance that there are fewer players but with more MF; therefore, the average MF is probably higher at night than in the daytime. This in addition to the speeding up of runs due to reduced lag would contribute to a better drop rate at the nighttime.

Just a fragile lil' theory of mine, of course.

17. ModeratelyConfused

It's not based on all games in the realm, it's calculated then and there, for that kill. It would be a 1% chance. Remember, just because you killed Mephy 100 times doesn't mean you're guaranteed to get a Tals amulet. You could kill him 10000 times and not receive one, but the odds of that happening are pretty slim.

18. Zarniwoop

Zarniwoop IncGamers Member

The first thing you need to understand to understand any programmed system, is that computer programmers are the laziest people on earth.

By this, I DON'T mean that we're actually lazy, but we will take the simplest path to get to the goal we wish to achieve.

Therefore, you can rest assured that MF is based on a simple calculation of total MF = total increased chance of a set, rare or unique item.

There is no chance, with memory requirements and budgets that someone would purposely program in a complex system of storing recent drops, time since last unique, or anything else that requires more space).

I personally have found almost every great item I've ever found on the first or second run of the day/night. Then it goes downhill.

But, that's pure luck and selective memory.

In any programmed system like this, with a massive userbase - simplicity is the rule of the day.

19. RTB

RTB IncGamers Member

There's one that keeps on getting proven: If you're looking for something it never drops, and it drops just after you traded for one.

Since I'm SP and don't trade, the second part doesn't apply. So whatever I'm looking for just never drops. Nowadays I'm just killing them bastards for revenge.