Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

So, were they trying to scam me?

Discussion in 'Diablo 2 Community Forum' started by LongDog, Jun 27, 2010.

1. LongDog

LongDog IncGamers Member

So, were they trying to scam me?

I opened a game selling an item for a certain hr. A few people pop in and out and I finally get someone that offers Ohm. But instead of us simply completing the transaction, he decides he'd rather dupe his Ohm and give me all I want. Being skeptical, I played along.

He calls in his friend and has me follow him to a spot in act 5. I go, expecting an ambush, but figured I would just exit the game if something happened. Anyways, his friend and him stayed in act 1 and ran just outside the gates and one killed the other around 15 times. When they got near the "end", where the runes would dup, they suddenly timed out.

Coming back in, they claimed that they had to leave and wanted me to join in the fun in act 1, while their friend waited in act 5 at the dupe spot. Playing along still, I followed their instructions. I removed all my gear and put it in the stash. He gave me his Ohm rune and told me to put in a certain spot in my inventory. I let him kill me around 20 times, each time, I collected my body, as I knew what he wanted to do.

For the "last" kill, he stated I needed to fully equip myself again and place the Ohm in my stash, in the lower left hand spot. I was then told to come back out to the Moor and let me die on more time. When I approached, he was hovering over my last fallen body. I was asked to let him kill me one more time and the runes would dup an unlimited amount in act 5.

I ran around and grabbed my body and back into rouge so I couldn't be harmed. It was obvious to me, he wanted for me to have multiple corpses on the ground so that the last kill all of my gear would spill out for him to steal.

Am I right? I would've lost:

Enigma
    Shako
    HoZ
    Arachs
    2/2 Seraphs

Instead, I called him out and left the game with his Ohm, which I then made into a CTA today! :wink:

What do you guys think?

2. Harahune

Harahune IncGamers Member

Re: So, were they trying to scam me?

Your gear does not spill out when you pick up your corpse. Your body just remains there until you get the stats or inventory space to carry it.

No idea wtf they were doing though.

3. Orphan

Orphan IncGamers Member

This sounds very familiar to an old scam in the past that did indeed involve multiple corpses and items popping. I think it might have been fixed already though, but then again I haven't been following it much. Regardless, it certainly doesn't sound like a dupe method (unlimited times? dupe spot in act 5? come on....)

What you should do next time, is go to Charsi and buy a bunch of random gear, then equip those to make them think you have all your good items on. It's certainly entertaining to screw around with these people.

4. LongDog

LongDog IncGamers Member

Thanks Orphan.

Harahune, its not that my items would spill when picking up my corpse, but rather him hoping I didn't already pickup the 15ish corpses I already had on the ground. Killing me the last time fully equipped would've caused me to pop, IIRC, since I had multi corpses on the ground.

5. Feysal

Feysal IncGamers Member

Isn't it the first corpse that gets popped, not the latest? If you were told to unequip before starting this operation, your items would have been safe if you had died that one more time. No idea what they were doing though. If it were me, I might have sold the rune to Gheed's gambling screen though, it would've been tainted in my eyes.

6. droid

droid IncGamers Member

If your previous corpses were all naked, then your full corpse would have taken priority....it goes by the "sell value" of all the items in your inventory. Even if you had died with multiple corpses on the ground, if you left and entered a new game, your "full" corpse should have followed you.

Regardless, I wouldn't have messed with anything nearly this sketchy-sounding to begin with. I'd never let someone kill me no matter what they were promising. If they had a reliable dupe method that involved that, I guarantee they'd just buy a second account and do it all themselves.

7. michaeljay

michaeljay IncGamers Member

So some random scammer trusted you enough to just hand you his Ohm rune?

8. BobCox2

BobCox2 IncGamers Member

Yes.
    Don't be scammed say.
    "It's one person only call me when your ready and I make game OK"

I never leave town.

Nice result for you there though.

9. PorkusMaximus

PorkusMaximus IncGamers Member

I reckon the rune was either botted or a dupe, so the scammer probably didn't lose out on much.

10. TurbulentTurtle

TurbulentTurtle IncGamers Member

Whenever random antics or shenanigans like this go down, you don't even need to ask, the guys are trying to pull something.

11. serrisflame

serrisflame IncGamers Member

confirmed. Wish i had read this earlier.

Theres a person who said same thing. Beforehand, I had fit all my real valuables in storage (charms, maras, bul-kathos). I went along with it, and he ended up taking my Shako w/ Um, hoz, some random mage plate, magefists, sand trekker (that the name?) boots, and a goldwrap. Not really anything worth missing in there except the shako and hoz. Thats what really pissed me off.

Anyway, if someone tells you about a dupe trick w/ killing you, dont do it. In fact, dont do dupe tricks at all. If you have to, think of it as jacking off- you dont do it with others, your fine all by yourself.

Also, I figured out how it went. Apparently, after you have 16 bodies on the field, each body afterwards pops. So, the 16 originals stay put, but the 17th on dont. A funny thing to do would be to put your armor on during the 14-16 kills, then let him kill you repeatedly while saying your armors on. He'll wonder what the hell happened and why your bod isnt popping when in fact the armor is still on an old bod.

*Only try if you have crap/Charsi equipment. Never done myself, dont know for sure if the old bodies start popping eventually.

12. Shanksie1337

Shanksie1337 IncGamers Member

haha! :welcome: to the forums, i'm sure you could have come up with a more erm, well appropriate saying :)