Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

So...Tyreal is possessed by Diablo? Or Baal?

Discussion in 'Diablo 3 General Discussion' started by Netherscourge, Jun 29, 2008.

1. Netherscourge

Netherscourge IncGamers Member

So...Tyreal is possessed by Diablo? Or Baal?

I'm trying to figure out the storyline of the game.

It seems from the Splash on the Blizzard site, something rather... um... distoring?... has happened to out old buddy Tyreal.

(Perhaps he spent too much time in the Cow Level?)

Anywho, after killing Diablo and Baal about 800 times a night for over 4 years, it's kinda hard to figure out how this dude is coming back again. Any story concering demons is pretty much open for ANY possibility... but I am curious as to who exactly is behind it.

The game is called Diablo 3, so I presume Diablo is at least partially behind it.

Baal seemed to be the brains behind the last operation - I can't imagine Baal being absent from a Diablo reawakening. He's like the Lord Valdemort of Sactuary...

I wonder what sort of strange story is going to come from this?

2. raveharu

raveharu IncGamers Member

Re: So...Tyreal is possessed by Diablo? Or Baal?

I don't think the storyline will be that lame :whistling:

If you watch the trailer, it shows a new area, reminds me of Gondor in LOTR.
    Maybe new Bosses, the two remaining Lesser Evils will definitely be in D3.

3. Kiroptus

Kiroptus IncGamers Member

Actually I think that Heaven itself isnt all made of good guys.

4. millys

millys IncGamers Member

I was thinking maybe Tyrael is actually the Lord of Lies which the game talks about but we've never seen.

5. Telzen

Telzen IncGamers Member

So you think Tyreal is Belial? Don't see how a demon could have possibly been posing as an angel this entire time.

6. Apocalypse

Apocalypse IncGamers Member

cant really say i have any idea what the story is but i would love to see all the evils in it, maybe not in the finished game but at least in the xpac. really want to see the take on the other lesser evils and see how they reimagine the evils we have already seen to date. i just hope diablo is less of a dinosaur this time around

7. raveharu

raveharu IncGamers Member

Edit:made a new thread.

Last edited: Jul 1, 2008
  8. aSimpleFear

aSimpleFear IncGamers Member

Or cain is the lord of lies?

That guy just spends way to much time with demons to NOT be the lord of lies.

There was always something strange about him in Diablo1. In Diablo2 you 'rescue' him from tristram even though every one else is slaughtered (even wirt :(). Now in diablo3 you find him in the depths of a demonic catacomb. He HAS to be the lord of lies.

Tyrael is probably betrayed by Cain and then ends up like Izzy. Diablo and all his brothers are freed somehow and we start back from square 1.

9. Felix

Felix IncGamers Member

Ever since DII came out I thought Tyrael was somewhat suspect. Mainly because of the pitchblack within his hood. He didn't quite look like a being of light to me, but he didn't step outside in DII or LoD so I've now come to trust him...

10. Apocalypse

lets hope cain is not the lord of lies, i like him, really dont wanna have to kill him lol.

great pic rave and thanks for the quote, i have not read the books at all but that makes me want to lol

11. mibir

mibir IncGamers Member

You know that's a good point, why is Cain being spared?

12. sicilian

sicilian IncGamers Member

I actually think Mephisto was more the brains of the Three. Baal really didn't do ANYTHING until both his brothers were dead. Mephisto was the one leading the ceremony before Diablo returned to form.

13. Apocalypse

he is the eldest anyway aint he? i agree that he seemed to be the brains, and just cause you fight him first does not go against that imo. it seemed like he had a plan and sent his brothers off to do it while he stayed behind to hold position in kurast

14. ThulRasha

ThulRasha Diablo: IncGamers Member

Exactly. The whole town was murdered, and some turned into the walking dead, such as good old Griswold.
    Why was Cain left alive in a cage? Was it merely to lure the adventurers to a possible death trap, or is Cain not what he seems to be?

15. Swiffer

Swiffer IncGamers Member

Because Griswold was a nobody. He was an armorsmith in a small town town called Tristram.

Cain, Cain is the last surviving member of the Horadrim, the order charged by the Archangel Tyrael himself with keeping the captured Prime Evils from ever returning to the mortal world. How often do Evils leave their sworn enemies alive to see the ultimate failure of their life long efforts?

Left hanging in a cage to watch the site of a great victory against evil turned into hell on earth, a sample of what Diablo would bring across the entire world, likely with only enough life left in him to see the Prime Evils return and conquer the mortal plane.

16. Thirty-Thirty

Thirty-Thirty IncGamers Member

Since I've just re-read it, this is the blurb on the game's frontpage:
    The important part, no doubt, is the "failing luminaries of the High Heavens itself". This is tremendous fuel for Tyrael's corruption. I'm starting to form an image of Diablo (or the triple-evil-beastie) being the end boss of D3, and Tyrael potentially being the villain of the inevitable expansion, perhaps trying to stage his own coup of the Heavens or Hells.

However, I'd like to play devil's advocate for a second by saying it's still possible that neither Cain nor Tyrael have become corrupted. The High Heavens are presumably filled with a litany of (arch)angels to choose from as new characters. The Heavens may have decided that humanity has become a tool of the Evils rather than remained neutral, and Tyrael could, for example, be trying to preserve humanity in the face of Sanctuary being overridden by both Darkness and Light.

To cut a long story short, yes, Tyrael being corrupted is an option that would fit in (and could be wrought into a wickedly twisting dark storyline punctuated by epic boss battles), but I'm not counting out other options just yet.

17. SweWings

SweWings IncGamers Member

Didn't the 'Lesser Evils' revolt against the 'Primes'? And if so, why would Belial in disguise as Tyrael fudge up a situation where the Primes are gone the way he did?

18. Swiffer

Swiffer IncGamers Member

The lesser evils, led by Azmodan and Belial, banded together and overthrew the Prime Evils and banishes their spirits to the mortal realm during the Sin War.

Andarial and Duriel both switched allegiances back to Diablo once he returned, but Azmodan and Belial did not (to our knowledge anyway).

They banished the prime evils the first time, they have every motivation to finish the job and completely wipe out the Primes.

19. Alkey

Alkey IncGamers Member

Izual the fallen angel confesses in act4 of D2 that the banishment was all a ruse, the primes and lesser evils conspired together to send the primes to sanctuary in order to lure Tyrael to use the soulstones one the evils. Izual betrayed the seceret of the stones so that the prime evils could still influence from within the stones. It would seem Belial and Azmodan were always on the same team as the prime Es

20. prion

prion IncGamers Member

So Tyrael is Kosh, the Heavens are the rest of the Vorlons and the Hells are the Shadows :D