Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

So, theoretically, let's say if I wanted to participate in Grail but I play on B-net

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by Jaimes, Mar 23, 2005.

1. Jaimes

Jaimes IncGamers Member

So, theoretically, let's say if I wanted to participate in Grail but I play on B-net

Strictly theoretically speaking ;)

One of the big reasons I play this game is to find new items... but I absolutely HATE playing alone all the time. So I play B-net, but a lot of that time is spent alone (still too new to have many friends on there.. especially since I am very suspicious :p). Anyway, I envy you SPers of your /players 8 and that's ALL, y'hear! :D

Anyhow: I wanted to participate in the Grail using self-found items only. No trades, etc (I don't really trade anyway). Was wondering if this would be at all possible.. And how would I go about this? Do you guys use ATMA to count how many set/unique items you have left to go? Or is there some universal checklist I can use to count items off?

2. tenaka

tenaka IncGamers Member

There is a checklist called Flavie that works with ATMA, automatically filled in from ATMA files. Since you play bnet that wont do you any good so do a search for medieval mart. Its a speadsheet you can fill in yourself.

I'm sure you want a self found because you dont want to trade for hacks and dupes online, but you might want to consider that if you're playing with random people there then you are playing with people using duped items so there isnt a lot of difference. Leave the dark side and come find your grail in SP. Theres an MP thread stickied on the forum you can go to any time you want company. Best of both worlds, no dupes and MP when you need it.

3. Jaimes

Jaimes IncGamers Member

Well there are a few other reasons I play MP... I hate questing is one, lol. On B-net, you can skip the quests you don't want to do by using your alt to give the waypoint to someone and then having them give it to your alt...

I am really struggling with this though... I am dead center between playing SP and MP... I just don't know if I could stand all the mundane things you have to do in SP that aren't necessary in MP, like leveling/questing.

OTOH, things like ATMA (never have to give away anything you want but don't have space for it :p) and /players 8 are really attractive. When you use 95% of items found by yourself and only yourself, something like /players 8 really helps you find more items :p

Really the thing that makes me want to play SP most is the fact that 99% of the people on B-net are complete, total and utter <insert expletive here>s. I can hardly add some to my friends list before I learn that they bot, maphack, want to leech me dry of my time, enjoyment and hard work..

I'll go with the checklist for now... It will be my way of keeping what I throw away. I'll think about playing SP... Though it most likely won't pull through just because I've put in 3 solid weeks of work into my characters on B-net since I started playing again and I would hate to lose all of that.

Does anyone know where all the cool and trustworthy people on B-net hang out, people who play the game to play the game and not stroke their epeen or sell items for money or abuse people? Or do they all play SP? ;)

4. Gorish

Gorish IncGamers Member

If you really really want, you can do this in SP too.
    Funny, most people that play Diablo 2 actually like this aspect, which is good considering it makes up 90% of the fun part of the game. Give it a try in SP and keep an open mind, you might find you like it too.

Yes, SP is fantastic for these reasons, plus a whole host more. No lag, no irritating people/bots, no mountains of duped runes, the list goes on.

See my point above.

3 week work is not really that hard to recover, expecially if you find out that SP is more FUN. Really, it's all about fun, if you feel like you have to put hard work into a charcter, are you playing the game?
    There are a few ex SPers who play Bnet, but I don't really know who they are or what they're up to.

5. omgmir

omgmir IncGamers Member

Really if all you've played so far on bnet is 3 weeks.. you really should restart on SP right now while you're not leaving much behind than a couple months from now when you'll regret not doing it.

If you want to skip questing or just give each char WPs to skip areas, a simple replaced .dll file in your D2 directory allows you to start multiple copies of D2. Create a TCP/IP game with one char and join it with another, voila. I do it sometimes when I just don't feel like taking a certain build through the same old boring non-challenging quests over and over again.

I've been playing this game for 5 years now and really the thrill of the quests and exploring new areas has long been gone. I play for the excitement of playing HC and knowing around every corner lurks a permanent end to my hero, and normal difficulty doesn't really supply that no matter what char, build, or gear. That and of course I play for the items.. it's still fun to collect. :)

6. Jaimes

Jaimes IncGamers Member

It's not just a casual three weeks.. It was an intense 3 weeks with many NM baal runs, a few pit runs, and near on 350 hell mephisto runs. One char to level 75, one char to 85, one char to 77 + merc to 77. My barb has gear set from level 6 (Sigon's set) all the way to around 60-70, but no true endgame gear yet. Add onto that all 6 chars (3 high levels, 3 mules) have full stashes and inventories..

Is it possible (I know this is taboo) to replicate the items/characters I have on B-net? If so, there's a good possibility I would play SP, and start from where I am right now. Otherwise I'm not so sure..

7. TopHatCat64

TopHatCat64 IncGamers Member

Certainly what you do on your own time on your own computer is up to you but if you did do that (but you won't right?) you never could MP or trade with anyone on the singleplayer forums.

8. Jaimes

Jaimes IncGamers Member

Bah I'm just in a real quandary now, I feel like I'm straddling a picket fence ;)

Certainly I can't have both ways... And I'm wishing that I started on SP 3 weeks ago. But I have my roots set down already on B-net, and it's hard to start over again when you have been constantly starting over (this is my third B-net account within less than a year... and I managed to get semi-established in all of them. Then they got deleted...). This is, truthfully, the farthest I have ever gotten and the most successful I have been. It's hard to give up that even when you know that SP might be a better place...

I really live for the thrill of finding new items, and then making characters with them. I could care less about the questing, or getting through the game. On my acct, I made a frost zealot to MF for my blizz sorc. Blizz sorc moved on to NM baal and finally hell meph where she supplied my barbarian (mule until recently when I put his Sigon's set, echoing weps/ammy etc on him, and he is about to start the road up to Hell)

I really love melee builds, I hate caster builds. Yet I have to concede that casters make much more reliable/easier MFers. This is why I talk about "hard work." I've spent 3 weeks preparing for the characters I want to play (currently polearm WW barb and after him, a strafezon named Brynhildur) so it is hard work :p I planned to play through Hell on both of them, just to prove that they're a hell-capable build (I've never had one yet). So doing all of that over again is rough...

Tell me - how possible is it to play a WW barbarian untwinked when you don't want to play extremely conservatively? It doesn't seem possible to me, maybe since I am still relatively new and have been fed sugar on B-net too much :p

Edit: Before I wrote this post, I joined an act 1 game to finally start my barbarian... and then D2 crashed and then caused my computer to restart when I tried to close D2. A sign? I don't know...

9. SincereX13

SincereX13 IncGamers Member

Jaimes, I'm sure that if you were willing to accept, many people here could supply you w/ gear to get your feet started in SP. Heck you may even be able to find people willing to help you rush in some MP games... none the less the world of SP is where you want to be. Feel free to PM me w/ any questions or requests.

10. Randall

Randall IncGamers Member

You are free to do on your own computer as you like.
    Just stay on your own computer if you do something we do not like

But if you like to trade / giveaway / MP we have rules. These items will fall under the duped items and will not be allowed then.

First you can checkout the giveaway threads for some gear (lot's normal/exceptional gear over there).

If you don't go duplicate your BNet accounts, I can replace some of your gear if you like. Just name some items and I'll see what I can do.

Randall

11. corax

corax IncGamers Member

Imagine the no# of mules needed for an entire bnet grail :eek:

come to SP and just MP. easier said than done.

12. Jaimes

Jaimes IncGamers Member

Well time to go to bed. I'll sleep on it... and I'm by nature an indecisive person. So it may take me a few nights to figure out what I want to do :p

Edit: A few questions...

Is there much trading done in SP? Say if I have many pgems, will I be able to trade them for someone's Um rune? (on my realm/ladder, 80 pgems is equivalent to an Um rune, or 40 pgems + Pul, or 2x Pul, etc)

What about MP? I saw the MP thread, looked around in it. Do the games there get a lot of activity?

And... this sounds newbish :p I know how to go about MFing in B-net, but SP is somewhat different I would expect - since you can "reroll" maps (at least, I think you can). This probably makes the sorceress less important since she doesn't need to teleport as much.. and quick killing characters more important. What I'm trying to say is ;) What is a good first character to start, with the intention of MFing for other characters down the road?

I'm still stuck in indecision... but maybe I will be able to adapt. Will just take some thinking over is all ;)

13. corax

corax IncGamers Member

if your indecisive how can you decide to sleep on it? :D

come to SP this place really is so much better than bnet, even for those with good connections.

And only set up camp in the SPF if u want to spend more time here than actually playing d2 :D this place is addictive

14. Jaimes

Jaimes IncGamers Member

Well I am already addicted to it :p I see all these tournaments... and the Item Find thread is always a treat. If I can't find cool stuff, it's nice to see others being able to ;)

If I could just commit to starting over it would be fine. But I've been damn conservative of late.

Edit: More questions!!

Ladder Only items are on SP right? How about the newest of the new runewords? Are those on ladder too? Not that it matters because I wouldn't be able to afford them anyway, B-net or no :p

15. DeathMaster

DeathMaster IncGamers Member

how many items you can hold on one mule?

Let's say you can hold 20 items per mule, to collect grail you will need 537 or 504 (without runes). If you have more than one certain item, it is too easy to double that number. So to hold 1000 items @ 20 per mule, you will need 50 mules. You can only hold 8 per account, that's 7 accounts just for mule!!!

How long it will take to lose one or two mules if you don't active it? Anyone crazy enough to find grail on b.net will end up to spend more time to keep all mules "alive" than play this game.

16. corax

corax IncGamers Member

*breaks out his business mans suit and tie*
    alrighty then. it would seem your having trouble deciding to upgrade to the new package. how about a throw in a stash of 200-300 items free of charge? yours to keep if you decided to go with our 30 day money back guarantee.

SPF/SP combo pack available in two small payments off your tan and RL

17. Jaimes

Jaimes IncGamers Member

Hah!

No way I could take all that. If anything, the most I would ask for probably would be Moser's/Wizspike/Frostburns - instant sorc business time. Two FCR rings (gamble) and a skill amulet (gamble)... maybe a circlet (gamble or imbue) and I have decent +skills, 63% FCR breakpoint and max resists in hell.

Gosh I need to get to bed... I have enough sleeping problems as it is to stay up late every night...

18. corax

corax IncGamers Member

I can do that if you want. throw in a vipermagi and a shako too if you want :D
    so just let me know if you start SP and pm me your email

19. LordMay

LordMay IncGamers Member

I've only been a member of this forum for about 2 weeks and I do about a MP game a day. Since I play HC it has only been Shermo and I for the most part but it is loads of fun. Clearing acts in one sitting with people you trust is great. Since you are starting of fresh it won't be that hard to find a game. I might even host one to help you get started but you gottta cut all ties to bnet first.

20. Jaimes

Jaimes IncGamers Member

I think I decided to quit B-net...

At least, I am gonna try SP. Start a MP game with the char still at level 1... If I like it, I'm going to give away all the stuff I have on B-net.

I need a char to start :p It's gotta be good at running Meph. I'm thinking of justing making a plain old sorc again, but maybe a Meteorb sorc (I hate Meteor, Blizz > Meteor, but since this is SP I will need a dual element sorc for Hell).

Any other suggestions?

Edit: Maybe I should make a hammerdin? Never made one before, and they're obviously the most overpowered build of 1.10. What other build can Baal bot 8 player games w/o worrying about dying? :p