Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

So the Wolfbarb begins...

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by Thirty-Thirty, Jun 10, 2005.

1. Thirty-Thirty

Thirty-Thirty IncGamers Member

So the Wolfbarb begins...

Ahoy,

As my recent spat of posts has probably given away, I'm going to try to make the last of the characters for my "Softcore Seven" - one mat/pat in each class* - and its going to be a Wolfbarb. Why a Wolfbarb? Because I don't enjoy barbs much, and I want to build a Werewolf, so I thought I'd kill two birds with one stone before I start my Tesladin. (Plus I can try to hit 3k+ life. My current record is my Fireclaws bear on 2.5k.)

Now, I've worked out the kit details, and he's just killed Blood Raven on normal. The skills will be dead simple: Max Battle Orders, Shout, Weapon Mastery, and Iron Skin.

The problem is in getting to Level 79 without any combat skills. Getting through Normal shouldn't be too bad, but I have a feeling things are going to slow down hectically in Nightmare. I don't get to do enough LAN to rush him, and I can't play online. Besides, rushing is very cheesy. So are there any good ideas to get there without too much hassle, solo?

My plan so far is to try to find a rare/magical barb helm with staffmods by the time I'm into Nightmare. Particularly, I might try to whirlwind my way to 79 with a Ribcracker. Might two Bloodletters work?

*Don't worry, I know a "Softcore Seven" has nothing on the septavirates, or the double septavirates, or the septaseptavirates...

Thanks for all the help,
    30-30

2. Johney

Johney IncGamers Member

You could try to get your hands on a passion weapon and zeal your way from 43 to 79. That's just a thought i had to speed up your leveling.

3. Hrus

Hrus IncGamers Member

I think that combat skills don't spawn as staffmods on barbarian helmets. What might work is Berserk from Passion synergized by Shout. Mine wannabe Wolfbarb is in act 1 NM and things are getting worse slowly.

4. Johney

Johney IncGamers Member

Another thought, you could also use dual bloodletters to get a lvl 6 WW and lvl 6 SM. this may help your wolfbarb.

5. Thirty-Thirty

Now there's something I hadn't thought of. DolOrtEldLem, yes? Best bet for a weapon? I'm wondering if a two-handed exceptional (or elite, if the level requirement isn't over 50ish) polearm might be best, since I'll probably end up using a Reaper's Toll anyway.
    I'm pretty sure I've seen whirlwind on a helm. Although I don't think I've seen things like concentrate, and that was still 1.09...

6. sirpoopsalot

sirpoopsalot IncGamers Member

i'm fairly certain (99.4%) that WW is not available on barb helms in 1.10. currently i'm level 83, and i don't think i've seen one yet. As for polearms, I like them a lot, but your dex requirement will be very high for a non-shield character, so your life will suffer.

7. Disco-neck Ted

Disco-neck Ted The Dark Library

According to Thrugg, leap is the only skill from the combat tab that can spawn on a barb hat in 1.10.

8. Uzziah

Uzziah IncGamers Member

3 things will get you to clvl 79:

crushing blow
    open wounds
    poison

don't worry it just takes time :)

9. Gohanman

Gohanman IncGamers Member

Having played one myself, a couple thoughts:

Bloodletters help, kind of. You can get up to +8WW/+8Mastery. However, they have bad range, not great damage into NM, and cost a boatload to repair. One (ideally 4/4) and a better offhand weapon will get you farther into NM.

Taunt and Battle Cry are great skills. You can handle most any monster one on one with Taunt, and Battle Cry makes any monster easier. However, since you can't war cry while wereform, these points are arguably wasted. However, max bo,shout,mastery, and iron skin, plus 5 natural resist, plus one-point wonders in increased speed, taunt, battle command, and battle cry can be achieved at level 80. Beyond that, there isn't much for a wolfbarb to do with points anyway.

10. logger120

logger120 IncGamers Member

I am also working on a wolf-barb right now. his name is TIKAANI (eskimo for wolf) and he is lvl 31 and just entered act 4 norm. skill plan is standard;
    20 to BO/Shout/IronSkin/WeapMast
    1 in increased stamina and speed, taunt, and battle cry
    rest will go into prereqs, natural res, and either conc/beserk.

i am planing to do basically what uzziah said
    1) crushing blow (thinking about making BLACK at lvl 35) and open wounds
    2) poision damage (mostly from charms)
    3) either conc(syn by BO) or beserk(syn by shout) (right now im leaning towards conc b/c 1) i have more pts in BO right now and will max it b4 shout 2) it will require 1 less pt in prereqs 3) gives defense bonus instead of leaving u defenseless)

i dont know if this will work but im thinking it will. if it doesnt i will let you know.

EDIT: added 1 pt wonders taunt and BC like gohanman's advised. i have a feeling i willl need these in nightmare.

11. Mankey

Mankey IncGamers Member

Do either of you have an endgame weapon in mind? Because yes you'll be able to take a beating, but how are you planning on killing anything :p

12. NSXdreamer

NSXdreamer IncGamers Member

Don't bother with any of the skills beside passive and pre castable, you can't use them in wolf form.

13. logger120

i know its only to reach lvl 79 for wolfhowl. not planning to use many pts.

optimally prolly schaefer's or stormlash (don't have either so will have resume Mfing and find or trade)
    more than likely i will use barnar's star

14. Gohanman

After max Iron Skin, Mastery, BO, and Shout, plus 5 in Natural Resists, plus one in increased speed, what passive and pre-castable skills are left?

More points in natural resists or increased speed aren't necessary. Why not drop points in Taunt and Battle Cry? As I mentioned, that setup is complete at level 80. I honestly don't think there's any use for skill points beyond that point anyway [with this build].

@ Stormlash / Schaeffer's. Keep in mind that blocking in wereform is really, REALLY slow. Seriously, you won't believe how slow it is until you try it.

15. logger120

What did you use for an endgame weapon?????

16. NSXdreamer

NSXdreamer IncGamers Member

But what are you gonna use them for?

17. Hrus

Hrus IncGamers Member

I will be using Ribcracker.

18. Thirty-Thirty

A valid point. I think I can afford those points, since I don't think I'll play with this one a lot after he finishes Hell.
    At this stage I'm thinking of a Reaper's Toll, but I might also go with a Ribcracker. I've got a 294% ED one, but I need a lot of Puls these days... (HotO, Stone and upgrade this baby.)

19. Nightfish

Nightfish IncGamers Member

Do it! Do it! Do it! Do it! Do it! Do it! Ribcracker > everything :teeth:

(yes, that post was kinda predictable)

Also, keep us updated on the wolfbarb, I might need one for my septuplesept. Assuming I ever get around to my 7th barb and find that freaking hat... :lol:

20. Gohanman

If you mean Taunt and Battle Cry:

Battle Cry is one of the handiest skills in the game, IMO. It essentially provides PDR by reducing enemy damage, and reduces enemy defense (nice when mastery is the only skill you have adding AR until level 79). Plus it works on everything.

Taunt will get you out of any tough situation. It's a great way to separate monster packs, and pretty much any monster can be handled one-on-one. Plus ranged attackers won't actually shoot while taunted until they get right next to you, which can be helpful.

@ logger: I used a Grandfather. Ribcracker and Reaper's are both good too, as mentioned. Tomb Reaver would be nice too, I think.

Schaeffer's and Stormlash are good weapons, of course (I'd prefer lash for speed+CB myself). I didn't mean to imply you couldn't use one, but block rate really needs to be fast. Shael'd Stormshield would be quick enough, IMO (and a sweet shield anyway).