Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

So no 2nd expansion.

Discussion in 'Diablo 3 General Discussion' started by In the name of Zod, Jul 31, 2015.

1. In the name of Zod

In the name of Zod IncGamers Member

Making a guess here. This patch seems like it would have had some of the content of another expansion to me. The game is getting old and when you consider what was in the last expansion and look at this one they could have made money off this. My main guess here is the age of the product. Add another year to it for the 2nd expansion and it just seems so much more unlikely now. I'll make another guess and say some of you have presumed it. May I ask, was there anything in particular that made you think this?

2. Valeli

Valeli IncGamers Member

That's been my guess as well.

I feel like Diablo game just fit naturally with a single expansion though, what with the whole five-act thing. I know the first one had a second expansion, but as I recall hellfire was sort of put out by a different company or something anyways?

I don't know. Personally, I'm happy with no expansions as long as they keep giving it little bits of support. I enjoy games that sort of stay static, as opposed to MMOs that put you on a never ending treadmill with no end in sight. In games like Diablo 2, I liked the fact that I could eventually (in theory) find my zod, or get up to 99, and have my build all set and done.

Hardcore is a good way to add some more constant replayability too.

Other than that though, the timing and stuff you bring up makes sense to me.

3. Mage Slayer

Mage Slayer IncGamers Member

Why on Earth give the level of support they have to a game they have no intention of continuing? The last couple of patches represent a lot of work, and I don't think residual box sales and microtransactions in China are enough to make it worthwhile.

4. forge

forge IncGamers Member

Patch 2.3.0 is in fact very major and it's not typical that we get so much content in a single patch but even with the kanai's cube and the new zone, the game needs a new gameplay mechanics that can compete with the rifts (and I mean both nephalem and greater rifts). Cool, now we are going to need to do more bounties than before but still, it's an old content and it won't bring players who quit back. As every other patch, we will have fun for another month until we get every item we need and then again we will be stuck doing xp runs.

Blizzcon is near. They just announced the Hearthstone expansion, they will announce the new WoW expansion in a few days, Starcraft's expanison, in the other hand, is yet to be released and apart from Overwatch, there won't be anything else left for Blizzcon. Or maybe they will if they have a new game to announce, which I highly doubt. So, the chances for the second Diablo expansion to be announced at Blizzcon are huge. Especially when we have nothing to look forward after patch 2.3.0. What I am talking about is, we knew about the new zone Sescherone since last year's Blizzcon and every time the game had a new patch (2.1.1, 2.2.0, etc) we knew there is a patch coming that will bring the new zone. We also knew about the three new sets which were released with 2.2.0 and we knew that we will be getting 3 more for the other classes. We always know when things are delayed for later patches and with 2.3.0 we will get everything confirmed to be coming.

There will be second expansion and Blizzard unofficially confirmed that. They also said they want to see people's opinions about Reaper of Souls before starting to work on another one.

5. Volstag

Volstag IncGamers Member

Doesn't this all come down to whether Blizzard can make enough money off the sales of a 2nd expansion (factoring development / support costs, etc)? If it's worth their time financially, we'll get a 2nd expansion. Whether the game needs a 2nd expansion is, IMO, beside the point.

6. In the name of Zod

Yes, I think thats the point and considering the game is already going 1/2 price with expansion I just can't see it making financial sense to make another expansion. We may get a patch like a small expansion imo.

Also if they don't get started on D4 its going to end up a larger gap between D3 and 4 then 2 & 3, its got to make more sense to focus your resources on 4.

7. TheDarkSide

TheDarkSide Clan Officer - US East Hardcore

Imo they could make everything even better by incorporating D1 and D2 classes and maybe 1 more act and everyone would be happy. I don't really want to see D4 so by adding all the past classes / skills would be an iconic move to end the series. We can all dream right ??

8. Technomancer

Technomancer IncGamers Member

I don't feel like mining for the reference, but years ago they were claiming there wasn't gonna be a D4. They said they might revisit the Sanctuary universe at some point, but the Diablo series ends with 3. That may or may not still be true, but at one point that was the plan.

9. In the name of Zod

They also originally had a plan to make a 2nd expansion. I can remember looking at the timetable for it which I feel confident that that time has come and gone. But I don't think this is the real issue, you just have to look at the history of the company and its releases of xpaks for their games. I think only WoW got 2 which was subscription based, that's of every single game they've made. I'm wondering if they only did an expansion to stick with that trend and because they could afford it. Thinking of which, I wonder how much it costed them.

10. Technomancer

Technomancer IncGamers Member

Starcraft II has a second expansion on the way, even though it's going to effectively be a stand-alone game. I still think there's going to be a 2nd paid xpac for D3, but I don't know what form it will take. They could stand to tie up some loose ends and bring the series to a solid conclusion instead of the way RoS ended. I like to dream that they'll take the time to make a really awesome concluding chapter to the series, but I'm not getting my hopes up too high.

11. Boomslang

Boomslang IncGamers Member

Do you mean that there will be another expansion at all or just that one is going to be announced this year?

I was anticipating another expansion because of the leaked Blizzard product slate.

http://www.diabloii.net/blog/comments/blizzard-release-dates-leaked

The dates are running behind but that's to be expected. I still think there will be another expansion.

12. Valeli

Valeli IncGamers Member

I'd not be surprised if they ended up putting out a second one. My understanding is that expansions are (comparatively) easy to put together, and you can basically charge full price for them.

I just don't expect one in the near future, and don't particularly think a sixth act is fitting (I know you can obviously have non-five act plays.... but it seems weird and out of line for this series). If those leaks end up true and blizzards just behind schedule though, I won't be shocked at all. It's not something I'm going to loose sleep over either way. But I very much doubt the expansion would ever make it in 2015 as per that link.

13. In the name of Zod

Nice dig up Boomslang. I saw that when it came out back then and I doubt they knew how the game would fair over the years. I meant at all btw. Either way, it is possible that all this work they're doing on patches (and its a lot of work) is to bring people back to D3 so the second expansion at least pays itself off. I share those thoughts with the optimists. If indeed they are busily working on number 2 as I type this I would also be very happy not just because of what it brings in and on itself but they will also need to patch it up a lot in order to maximize its sales. Which would be awesome, I'm guessing that would be their mentality too.

Either way I wouldn't accept its coming this year if at all. But it would help them a lot to bring people back to D3 by giving us a heads up that a second expansion is indeed in the works and would also raise peoples awareness to the work they've been putting into D3's patches thus far.

14. Dacar92

Dacar92 Community, Amazon, DH Moderator & Inc Clan Officer

I don't recall that. I do recall them saying there would be at least two expansions.

Why would they quit the Diablo universe after D3? I don't think Activision investors would be happy with that direction.

15. Mage Slayer

Mage Slayer IncGamers Member

If I remember rightly, they said D3 would be the end of the story begun in D1. I'd be shocked if they even considered that there might not be another Diablo game after D3, but it will probably take a different approach story-wise, be set a while before or after D1/2/3, and quite possibly not be branded Diablo 4.

16. Dirgecaller

Dirgecaller IncGamers Member

pretty sure this game has sold more than 1 billion dollars in sales. Even if you go way back to 2008, I'm pretty that is mega profit.

lets throw wild guess numbers out there...if they had 200 programmers at 100k a year since 2008 working on d3, that's 20mil per year since 2008. 30 million copies of d3/ros/console at say $40 per unit (which is low) comes out to $1.2billion.

to say that this hasn't been profitable enough to consider making a 2nd expansion is insane. Even if they had 500 million in operating costs of just d3, it's still A LOT of profit.

The game engine is very good. All they have to do is add a class, and more maps compiled into act 6. They don't have to invent the physics engine or any of the other systems. It would be nuts if they made the decision not to do a second expansion. The only reasoning for that would be lets do D4 and truly change the things that are holding the game back. (like how the core stats work and dps being so completely dependant on a weapon or how broken the skills are since they decided sets = end game power limiting the number of viable builds to a handful). And even D4 I bet would use the same game engine at this point. Why recreate the game from scratch when their current tech is quite good.

17. Valeli

Valeli IncGamers Member

"I'd be shocked if they even considered that there might not be another Diablo game after D3, but it will probably take a different approach story-wise, be set a while before or after D1/2/3, and quite possibly not be branded Diablo 4."

Yeah. They could do a similar game on the mage wars, or something. Have it reasonably well tied in to the world and everything, but not be a demon -> demon -> demon -> diablo -> super-demon format. I'm sure they won't abandon the actual franchise in it's entirety, that would be an incredibly wrong-headed business decision given the money they can pull into a title with the name alone.

And I wouldn't be surprised if they do put out another traditional diablo game in the future, at some point.

18. In the name of Zod

How would they price an expansion? I would imagine it would have to be pretty low considering D3 has been on special already. If it's going to be the same sort of xpak as RoS it would have to be either very cheap or full of incredible content. IMO just another act will not cut it unless they're recycling a lot of graphical content somehow. Maybe if they just retexture map prefabs they could cut the costs of an xpak. I don't know but it's got to be more than an act + hero. Quite frankly, I don't see many fans asking for these so I wouldn't be surprised if that's what they do. Excuse my negativity but after the current streamlining of the game I'm just not seeing a positive outlook for D3. Maybe they should just put a racetrack into the game to match the current gameplay, make it official sort of thing considering they've put a timer into my diablo's already. Who's idea was that anyhow?