Latest Diablo 3 News
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

So many upgrade choices?

Discussion in 'Theorycrafting and Statistics' started by caughtjoo, Oct 10, 2010.

1. caughtjoo

caughtjoo Diabloii.Net Member

So many upgrade choices?

This is the first season I've been lucky enough to start advancing through the end of hell :crazyeyes:, and it seems to be getting quite confusing as to what my options are for upgrading my sorc/merc to finish clearing Act V so I could start working on hell cows while still working on gear.

ATM I currently muled:coffee::

1xUm
    1xIst
    3os Boneweave 438def
    4os Sup Loricated 13% edef 561def
    4os Sup Col Voulge 9% edam

It would be nice to put Insight on the Voulge, but my merc doesnt have near the str @ 81.

My gear is good right now to farm Count/Andy/LK, but I am running into major blocks in terms of taking damage on my merc and myself mid Act V.

Merc:
    VG
    SS
    Honor:Eth Partizan

Sorc Orbitaller:
    Tals mask (only durriel)
    2 skill orb
    spirit
    magefist
    sandstorm
    gloom
    Serpentskin
    tellingbeads
    2x Rare rings

resist
    75 cold/poison
    50/30 fire/light

It just seemed that the damage from mobs took a major upwards curve.

Any help would be appreciated,
    Thank you.

2. mir

mir Diabloii.Net Member

Re: So many upgrade choices?

The easiest advice is to skip those areas with teleport. Mid act 5 is the caves and they filled with cold immune monsters so your main damage dealer is the merc, sadly those caves also filled with some of the most dangerous monsters in the game (charging snakes, minotaurs, the harpies with their blood stars and so on) so it’s quite hard for the merc to deal with them alone. IMO it’s pointless to clear those areas with a cold based sorc, just skip them as soon as possible.
    As far as the gear goes, try to raise your lightning resist at least up to 60, and get your merc a better weapon either a runeword in an elite base or trade for reaper toll

3. caughtjoo

Ya so far I've been finding CV's and Ogre's but the str requirements on them are pretty steep.

EDIT: Ya skipping is great up until Ancients :(

Last edited: Oct 10, 2010
  4. krischan

krischan Europe Trade Moderator

I think your gear is pretty awful. If you have Ist+Um, do something about it.

What's VG and SS? Whatever, give him Griswold's armor with IAS jewels, Tal's helm an Insight in an eth polearm.

Tal's helm: Completely useless. Why do you need it versus Duriel? :ponder: Give it to your merc! Get a Lore helm, Peasant Crown or Tarnhelm
    Orb: Replace it by a Spirit sword
    Spirit (shield, I guess): If it has 35% FCR, sell it for a lower one and buy other gear for the profit. 35% ones will become cheaper later on.
    Magefists: OK, but if you can reach 68% FCR otherwise, wear Frosties instead, they add a lot of mana and fireball depletes the bulb very quickly.
    Sandstorm: Replace by boots with res, like Aldur's or Natalys's or a nice rare.
    Gloom's trap: It's OK, but I would prefer Tal's belt or a rare with 16 spaces, fhr and res.
    Serpentskin: I assume that this is a Skin of the Vipermagi
    Telling of Beads: Get Rising Sun, it costs just a few pgems. It makes you immune to nearly all fire damage from monsters, even with 0% fire res, and it also adds +2 to fire skills.
    Rings: Get FCR and resists here.

Fine.

Not fine at all! These are the two most important resists. With the mentioned Rising Sun amulet, your fire res is OK, but you MUST maximize lightning res!

IMO, a PvM sorc better maximizes her resists before getting vit or life bonuses from gear. You won't enter melee situations and keep moving while casting when archers are shooting at her. All stat points beyond str investments for gear go into vit, however.

5. stephan

stephan Diabloii.Net Member

Vampire Gaze and Shaftstop?

6. mir

mir Diabloii.Net Member

I assume you play on-line. Try to trade that ist for a reaper toll and the um for oculus and shako (oculus is more important IMO).

Change your merc to holy freeze one (NM act 2) and make treachery for him (shael, thul, lem). There is no need in insight for an orbitaller since orb isn't spammble. The safety from holy freeze, decrepify, and frozen orb is better then the manna from insight.

As for the ancients, if you want to take them alone just keep rerolling them until you'll get only one cold immune ancient (the leaper).

7. Krupa

Krupa Diabloii.Net Member

my opinion in ur quote :)

8. krischan

It seems that Krupa and I agree here, I just left out Tal's amu+armor, as I doubt that they are already available for Ist+Um :azn:

If you can afford it, get the whole set or armor+amu+belt, for the additional MF bonus from wearing 3 items of the set.

9. Krupa

Krupa Diabloii.Net Member

indeed i am :cloud9:

main priorities for upgrade in order i´d choose:

occu -> tal amu -> eth insight/merc weapon -> shako

10. caughtjoo

Sounds great.

(Got mask from only Durriel, Shaftstop, Vamp Gaze, Vipermagi)

I bought some luck and rolled a 1k def 4os Balrog skin, so would throwing stone in there for my merc + insighting a Sup Col Voulge help me a little better atm? (just need a pul atm)

I'm not in an immediate hurry for mfing gear, but that you alot for the advice!!!

11. krischan

I wouldn't give him a Stone armor. You don't need a good defense rating for your merc, at least not if the needed Um rune costs you 25% of your resources. Also, your merc has to be well in the 80s to have enough str for wearing an eth CV (str req 200), that might be another reason to use Griswold's armor - it adds 20 str.

Your merc need good resists, life leech, IAS and FHR, in that order.

For MF, give him a Tomb Reaver+Amn+Shael+something, ptopazed Skullder's and a ptopazed Stealskull. That will be good enough for the Tunnels, Eldritch and Pindle, which are the usual main MF targets for a sorc with a merc. Meph and Andy are better visited without a merc, he will stir up monsters which could normally be ignored and he also spoils the moat trick.

12. caughtjoo

Sounds great.

EDIT: Currently level 84

13. shuy

shuy Diabloii.Net Member

Merc with IAS is very dangerous during Meph runs because of exploding dools.
    If you wish go only Andy and cows Ias is ok but rather do not give him fast weapon if you are going to run Meph.

14. krischan

As said, you are teleporting to Meph and Andy anyway and without a merc :p

15. crawlingdeadman

crawlingdeadman Diabloii.Net Member

just dont give him a weapon that can kill dolls in one shot. you should tele past before he gets in two hits.

16. Korlic

Korlic Diabloii.Net Member

If you have vipermagi get spirit sword + shield and shako with your um in it. Try to get a 20 res mara. That means 105 fcr and good resists and lots of + skills.

17. DoomBoy

DoomBoy Diabloii.Net Member

My sorc has a wizardspike and she survives quite well in hell.

18. krischan

Even with perfect Spirit sword+shield, that makes 100% fcr, not 105%. Also, as long as you have a Spirit sword, you probably won't have the funds for rerolling 35% ones (and not for Mara's as well), so when assuming that you have average rolls on Spirit, you need another 15%, e.g. from rings, amu, Magefists or TO gloves.

19. Domonkazu

Domonkazu Diabloii.Net Member

get andy face so your merc can wear insight CV

with your ist you can easily get a tal set, add a spirit shield and you will hit max resi in hell with some resi charms.

why should he get mara, it cost just as much as tal set, yet tal set will provide lot more, its the cheapest setup for hell.

at lv 75 I can do mauso, pit, countess, ancient, meph, travi pretty easy with just
    tal set, anni+torch
    with merc equip insight eth tresher, andy face, treachery.