Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

So many guides so little time...

Discussion in 'Druid' started by VaMagi, Sep 12, 2006.

1. VaMagi

VaMagi IncGamers Member

So many guides so little time...

Hi, I haven't played a druid since my bear right after LoD came out, and I'm having a lot of fun with my 22nd level wolf. But, I'm getting to where I'd like to start building toward something and I'm a bit lost as to which guides are 1.11 and will meet my needs. (I've browsed several of them and read the recent rabies thread.)

Here is what I would like, PvM only no PvP concerns at all, a wolf as I've done bear, melee as I'm about spell casted out. :wink3: I run solo most of the time so party synergy isn't a concern either.

Fairly cheap, I've only been back to D2 since May and I'm semi-casual, though I have got some decent lower level gear, runes are getting there, etc. Consider me lower middle class in terms of wealth.

Any thougths would be appreciated.

2. Verashiden

Verashiden IncGamers Member

If you're doing PvM Solo Wolf I would Do a Pure Fury or Fury/Feral Build. Fury Feral is about the same as Pure except with Maxed Feral Rage. That build can pretty much take on everything :).

3. VaMagi

VaMagi IncGamers Member

Thanks for the reply. I don't see a guide that mentions that. Is it as simple as max fury, max feral, grab the best stuff you can find and go at it? (If so that's my kinda blue collar build!) :afro:

4. Verashiden

Pretty much:

20 WW
    20 Lync
    20 Fury
    20 Feral

Then max out either a spirit or get a bear.

5. Pavement

Pavement Banned

I find it useful on a pure pvm build to put a single point to carrion and solar creeper - they can save your life, they eat corpses and prevent ce, and solar is great vs mana burn.

also, you can single point the bear skills to get shockwave for party friendliness. it's also useful for controlling packs that you can't handle, and allows you to just maul away at the boss while everything is stunned.

shifter hybrids are great for pvm ;)

6. VaMagi

VaMagi IncGamers Member

Thanks to both of you. I may have to reroll on this guy then, I've got 1 point in all the summons already and one point down both the wolf and bear trees, to get fire claws which don't seem to be much help at this level.

What do you do about PI in hell though? Keeping in mind that I can't count on having this or that piece of equipment as I play semi-untwinked. (I trade between my own toons.) But I do have a lot of time before that's a problem, I don't rush. For me a toon has to be able to solo everything in the game before I'm really happy with them. Not including uber-town that is... :azn:

7. TurfTalker

TurfTalker IncGamers Member

PI=GG

If you choose to follow this example, you'd better make sure you've got a gimmershed lying around...

8. Kirah

Kirah IncGamers Member

Wecome to the wild, wild World of Wolves!!

VaMagi, check out the guide on the hybrid fury/summoner. It's my favorite build. He can do the party wolf thing (raise everyone's life with Oak Sage) and act as a tank, summon a mean bear and finally go toe-to-toe with the ubers and do just fine. Granted I don't do the kind of damage that most Titan builds can dish out. I find that the flexibility makes for a really fun character. With most melee builds you are kinda equipment dependent though. Your weapon will be key.

For PI, you gotta do elemental damage (Glimmershreds, Baranar's Star, Stormlash, etc. etc. etc.) or have a weapon that negates the PI (Toll Reaper's or Lacerator Axe). Personally, it's easier finding elemental damage weapons, for a while at the lower levels I was using a socketed weapon with a bunch of ORTs (Lightning damage) in them.

good luck and Good Hunting! (growf!)
    Kirah

9. Verashiden

And, Pure Fury/Mauler don't have this problem? It's been said plenty of times that you should keep a high elemental damage weapon in your stash for just such an instance.

But, I'm curious, what build would you suggest?

10. matchuk

matchuk IncGamers Member

just on topic guys yeah the guides are confusing me too, i have NEVER played a druid before in d2, but im trying to make a pvp one with rabies/fury...

theres a few questions i wanna ask
    do i aim for max block?
    skill placement should be normal right no special considerations

my gear i have is as follows
    jalals (i dont know what to socket with um vs shael?)
    fort vs enigma (i prob go fort i dont think u can port in wolf)
    bloodfist (worth upping? or other gloves options)
    highlords? dunno what amulet
    dungos
    aldurs vs gores (make up for some frw if i use fort)
    rings i dont know prob ravens or duel angelic
    ebotdz/stormshield (eld or shael?)

what kinda ias do i need to get max fury speed, any other things i should know about fury/rabies

11. Verashiden

All righty, right down the list:

Max block is a must in PvP. Keeping that 10k attack from hitting you 3/4 of the time is essential in survivability.

The only current debate for Fury/Rabies is maxing WW or Oak. Up to preference.

As for the gear, if you're going to make FHR then I would shael the Jalal. However, if you do that then DON'T Shael your SS. There's a kind of bug that lowers the blocking of a werewolf with high FHR and high FBR. If you don't go for max FHR (86 breakpoint) then Shaeling the SS is fine.

Bloodfist are fine gloves for a Werewolf. Upping it won't do much since Wolves have horrible def anyways. However, it DOES earn style points :).

Dungos/ Rare FHR,Life,Str, maybe resist belt

Keep both Aldurs and Gores

Fort = Dmg, Enig = FRW and fewer stats spent in str. Once again it comes down to preference.

There's an IAS calculator stickied in this forum. Do remember though that Werewolves are only affected by on weapon IAS.

Hope that helps :)

12. matchuk

matchuk IncGamers Member

ahhhh too many decisions

what are the advantages and disadvantages of oak vs ww

only thing i can come up with off me head is oak dies ...

fhr bug !?!??! hmmm should i go for 48 or the next bracket

i think ill go fort cheaper for me

13. Verashiden

Oak = more life
    WW = more AR (for the pally haters)

Jalal + Bloodfist gives 70 FHR so it's not hard to hit the 86 Breakpoint.

14. matchuk

matchuk IncGamers Member

i going to do ww because the extra life doenst make casters that much easier, sure i can tank a few more balls, but the ar is necessary i hate pallys and this druid is more for melee duels

there is no way i think i can take casters that just tele around spammin with high fcr with a druid that cant tele ...

15. Verashiden

Yeah you can. It's called Druid desynch ;). But... I need the Shapeshift 7 frw gcs so back off :p.

16. matchuk

matchuk IncGamers Member

if druids can desync, i will dance for cracked sash's

17. Verashiden

Feral Rage makes the impossible possible :eek:.

Seriously though, FRW will force a mistake on the tele and then you shift Fury, GG. Most casters expect enough time to spam before they tele. If you're in their face when the finish tele they're most likely going to panic.

18. VaMagi

VaMagi IncGamers Member

That sounds like fun, plus I like my pets. :} But I can't locate that guide. I have at least perused all the guides, JordanBCool's is pure summon, Kaz and Stout seem to be PvP, Dragoon's the link is busted, Blues is melee. (See I really did read it first! :grin:

I've got a ways to go to hell but I'll keep an eye open for something, some of the wands, belive it or not, that I've found had nearly sick elemental damage, maybe that would work if I don't find one of the "named" items. (Gotta be creative when you're poor. :embarassed: