Latest Diablo 3 News
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

So, I've never played a Barbarian...

Discussion in 'Barbarian' started by Trionth, Oct 4, 2010.

1. Trionth

Trionth Diabloii.Net Member

So, I've never played a Barbarian...

... I would like some advice!

I still consider my self "new" to Diablo. My only complete character is a Hammerdin, so I know how to play him. I have many other builds in progress based on gear I've found/traded for with my Hdin.

I want to try a barbarian. So far the gear I have is:

Full Imortal King Set
    'Beast' Beserker Axe
    2x Up'd Alibabas
    'Enigma'
    Double Up'd Goldwrap (thanks alphaz)
    50mf War travelers
    Chance Guards

I want to take advantage of his Find Item skill. I was thinking of making a MF/GF barbarian, but I want to have killing power first off.

I've read nearly every single guide and I just can't come up with a definent build I want. Killing speed is important to me (I play a hammerdin... comeon now :D) I was thinking a Whirlwind barb would be the most fun.

Using IK set until I get an Breathe of the Dying in an Ethereal Beserker Axe. Then using Enigma, Beast, Botd, with alibabas on switch for using find item. I figure that War Travs, Goldwrap, Chancies, then either Shako (ptopaz) or Arreats (Ptopaz) I'll test both. I was hoping this would give me plenty of killing power. I think I'll also keep Gore Riders, Steel rends, Verdungos, etc... in stash and possible PvP a bit.

I don't know what to do for skill set-up :\

20 ww? A lot of guides (and people) say that even 10 is overkill because of the diminishing returns (not to sound all financial)

Other than 20 ww, should I max axe mastery and find item? This still leaves me with 20+ points to play with. So, help me out please :thumbup:

2. TrinityPower

TrinityPower Diabloii.Net Member

Re: So, I've never played a Barbarian...

The standard WW build is max WW, Mastery, Shout, and BO. rest of your points should be spent to cover your gaps, like a few extra points into natural resists to shore up any lack there... if you want after that you can pump find item with no problem. :)

3. Trionth

Why Max Shout and BO?

Other builds get by with <6 (and +skills) on a CTA, and shout only increases defense, I thought defense wasn't that crucial (especially on a barbarian that will have insane life per vitality point)

Hey, thanks for the information, I just want to know the reasoning behind it, so it makes more sense to me.

4. shuy

shuy Diabloii.Net Member

Max BO for more life.
    2 x CTA is high price for +2 to skill. 3BO magic swords or javelins are much cheaper.
    Shout increases your defence but I think it is not very important. High defence do not protect vs ele damage.

Mastery is crucial skill. It increse your AR (and dmg ofc). AR always is too low.

5. Trionth

So maybe 20 ww, 20 BO, 20 Axe mastery, and 20 Find item? Then I have.... 14 points left to put into one-point wonders (Battle command would be real nice) Maybe a few points in natural resistances. I'm having a hard time hitting max resists in hell on my Hdin, so I assume it will probably be a problem here too.

6. shuy

shuy Diabloii.Net Member

Battle Command 1 pt is enough. Next points only increase duration.

With prereq skills you have not too much spare pts. I never had patience to build WW barb over lvl 85 (I think even less, but do not remember) but I think few point in berkserk can help vs PI monsters.

7. hubb

hubb Diabloii.Net Member

You'll want at least one hoto on switch for faster horking (using find item), but I'd use two since this is a dedicated MFer. With the amount of +skills you'll have it's really not worth it to max find item as the diminishing returns gets bad.

I'd go
    20 WW, 1 Berserk
    20 weap mastery, 4x 1 point wonders
    1 Battle Cry (use vs bosses)
    1 War Cry (stun phys immune mana burn monsters so you can zerk them)
    20 BO, 1 B. Command
    9 Find Item gets you to lvl 24 and 53% chance. You get 3% more if you max it.
    The rest into Shout. You'll get 10 points into it at level 84.

BOTD/Beast is good, but 2xGrief will do quite a bit more damage and its ITD makes AR a non-issue most of the time.

8. Trionth

Hmm... I'm nonladder, but I do have one grief (in a phaseblade for my smiter-in-progress) I'll have to try it out.

I never know what amulet to use. I would assume Mara's because its +2 skills and resistances, but what about metalgrid? Huge AR and Resists, if I need that sort of thing.

9. hubb

hubb Diabloii.Net Member

I'd usually say highlords's, but you'll probably need the resists from metalgrid.

10. zrk

zrk Diabloii.Net Member

you could use a grief pb + beast axe. frankenbaba, but would still probably do more damage than beast botd lol

11. minuses

minuses Diabloii.Net Member

Never use two different weapon types on a barb. Stick with only 1 type so a grief ba would need at least 34 ias to reach max ww bp.

12. Trionth

Thats why I was thinking 'Beast' and BotD. I've already got the beast in a Beserker axe, and BotD in Beserker axe will be easy to sell if I choose to do so sometime. I have 2 'Beast' Beserker Axes, so I could use that until I get a BotD. Do the auras stack?

How much IAS would I need to hit the last breakpoint for WW with 'Beast' and BotD Zerkers?

13. minuses

If you can afford an eth death cleaver zod either 280% ed or almost perf ed then go for that instead.

14. Trionth

Lets not get too wild :D

Why would you use that over BotD? Does the Deadly Strike make it that great? How does Deadly Strike even work... If you got 100% would you just 1-hit kill everything?

15. minuses

Ebotdz is a horrible weapon and yes its mainly for the crits on edc. When you choose to use edc on main side and beastz on off hand side, then you do not need highlords.

16. Trionth

Hmm... You guys would know :\

Anyone else wana throw their 2-cents in on this?

BotD + Beast or Ethereal Death Cleaver + Beast?

17. hubb

hubb Diabloii.Net Member

It's only the 2nd (for some builds 1st) most powerful weapon in Diablo II, but okay. I believe you.

@Trionth. Since you won't have guill's face, gores and maybe highlords the deadly strike on death cleaver will make a big difference. Cleaver might give you better damage in this case, but because of the leech and other mods on BOTD I'd still use it. If you want damage use two Grief phaseblades.

18. nurman

nurman Diabloii.Net Member

If you would want to, you could try using a Azurewrath / Grief combo ^_^

19. zrk

zrk Diabloii.Net Member

Assuming no damage charms(and gore guillaume hl setup), damage ratio between botd and edc is 5.15*1.77/3.8*2=1.2, aka botd does 20% more damage. With angelics edc would have 97% ds instead of 100% though

Huh? It would do more damage then any of the other setups offered here(dual grief aside).

20. Trionth

You would have to have dual masteries maxed for best effectiveness. If everything is in axes then one mastery will cover them both.