Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

So ive made a classic char.... im lost ><

Discussion in 'Classic' started by NewForumBloke, Sep 8, 2006.

1. NewForumBloke

NewForumBloke IncGamers Member

So ive made a classic char.... im lost ><

Well ive decided to make a classic char for rushing purposes (for my lld chars and friends and such) and i thought i knew what to expect. i didnt. ive browsed around here some looking at posts and such trying my best to get a feel for everything but im still not too much better than i was in the begining. So here are questions i have so far, if they have been discussed in previous threads, and if you wouldnt mind, link me to them plz lol.

What is the currency type of deal here? Sojs? gems?

What are the desired stats to look for on armors/sheilds/etc so i know what to keep and what to toss?

What is the recommended method of lvling? im really sort of lost here. I know it has to do soemthing with cowing though (like .09 xpac!!) ex. on xpac you can get grushed through everything then chaos til 60 then baal til like 85 then chaos/baal til 99.

Is CS the most successful area to mf off of? (thats what ive been able to gather so far from browsing... if i missed something let me know ><)

Now i still have yet to read through all of the stickies, but ive read several and well... yea... help lol. I dont feel like im very backwards compatable at this point in time lol.

-BLoke :smug:

2. goomba

goomba IncGamers Member

I used a lvl 62 bsnap, with angellic armor/rings/ammy to self rush (my laptop) several characters to hell act 3. at the time, I didn't quite have the gear to take out travincal, so a quick call for help, and council was dead. From there, I was able to leap in, and do mephy to complete the rush.

that being said, naturally, I died a couple of times in places like arcane, tal rasha's and/or maggot lair due to impatience, mana burn + physical immunes.

for that reason, I try to only do rushes with chars that are close to base level experience.

for rushing new characters, I find either a baba as mentioned, or a sorc with some serious FCR handy for teleporting through the various areas.

for levelling those same characters, on non ladder, I have a chantress with a lvl 30 or so enchant. she makes all modes of cows. Here's what I do.

make a cow game, predictabley it fills up. I chant everyone in the cows, then leave chantress in town so king's death doesn't impact her. Then, I chant new char (lvl 2 at this point?) toss a bow on them, and have them clear out stony until somewhere between lvl 5 and 10 ,then tristam.

10-15 or so I clear catacombs. 15-20 I do Tal Rasha's tomb/canyon runs.

once you hit lvl 20 you can start on leaching/killing norm cows for experience.

lvl 25 begins the experience breakpoint for nm cows. if you have some pals, or decent killers that are doing well at clearing for you (especially with the chanter's massive fire dmg added to melee weapons) then stick with nm cows for as long as you like. with some mf gear, you may even find some semi-useful set items as well, and/or socketed gear, like tri socketed hats for putting perf topazes in. (These then have the obvious effect on your mf% when you equip them) the nm cows is also a decent place to start finding flawless gems (such as those topazs) to then "cubify" into perfect gems once you have 3.

gobs of experience from cs runs seems to start in the mid 30s, depending on how well the cs killers perform their tasks, how decent your resistance gear is, and/or if you have spent any skills/stats by this point (I once levelled a character deep into the 60s before spending any skills/stat points)

if you go the baba route, I think many will agree, that once you can clear flayer, that doing so yeilds not only good experience, but when wearing MF, quite a few drops, especially desirable set items.

re: currency. you didn't mention ladder, or non ladder. but regardless, yes, sojs are essentially the 'currency' that people refer to, altho you will also sometimes see people mention items' value in terms of "# of gulls" or #of pskulls"

3. NewForumBloke

Wow man, thanks so much for the help :grin: ! I am playing ladder, sorry i forgot to mention that. Im making a sorc atm and so far she is lvl 16 (working her way through a2 atm to get to cayon area). I see that the basic key items to use on a sorc is Spectral shard and Magefists, just out of curiosity, how much do they go for? And one more quick question (i know i know, me and my questioning) are chips or pgems valuable? or just gull's and pskulls as you mentioned? thanks man!

4. goomba

goomba IncGamers Member

shard/magefist are both fairly easily findable, and usually trade for other/similar rares that one might need.

there's a twitch blizzer build/guide that I've been using pretty successfully the past 8 weeks or so. she's lvl 82 at the moment.

twitch, magefist, crummy fcr rings with one or two resists, recently switched from a triple p diamond kite shield to a pward. prismatic +1 sorc ammy. her boots are FRW, with very high FR (like 39 I think) and her hat is fhr, +life and tri resist. she had a much better belt, but I switched it to one that's +str/resist for the 4th row of pots. she, being a vita build needs like 3 pots to teleport into Chaos Sanctuary without a BO... (I frequently do mini-raids when pals aren't on. Essentially flit in, pop infector's seal and vizier's seal then leave)

oh, and don't forget to ID any rare wands that fall your way. you can reach the 70fcr breakpoint without using a shard if you have too much difficulty finding someone willing to trade for one, or can't find one of your own. (magefist, two rings, ammy make 50, so 20 from a wand, or two from wall of eyeless)

I've found 3, or 4 shards in the past couple of weeks off of mephy/D with essentially zero MF on...

re: gems. I only pick up flawless gems to assemble into Perfect Gems if/when I need them, or to use as emergecny repair cash on my baba, if I'm raiding/MFing in Chaos, and end up penniless due to an IM death, and can't get body back due to it being mobbed. the only gems I have ever traded for were to overpay for some p topazes when I didn't have any "in stock" and had a new hat to fill, and didn't have the patience to look for 'em (I overpaid with p skulls)

you very likely will not find anyone willing to offer anything for gems of any kind on classic, so don't put them up in the trade window, unless you are specifically in a game called: "brg p gems" or the like.

5. NewForumBloke

Man, thanks so much again! I hoping that ill get lucky enough to find them hehe, maybe even some nice rares on the way.

You have been very very helpful :grin: !