Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

So is 'Guildwars' going to be the next diablo?

Discussion in 'Diablo 2 Community Forum' started by Dev, Feb 4, 2004.

1. Dev

Dev IncGamers Member

So is 'Guildwars' going to be the next diablo?

While surfing around I stumble across this 'www.guildwars.com'. It seems that many of the Blizzard guys who jumped ship made this company and this MMORPG will be coming out latter this year. Seems to be the game to play? (instead of WoW, especially since there will be no monthly access fee...or so they say). Anyone involved in Alpha testing?

2. Fearox

Fearox IncGamers Member

Definitely worth a try.

3. Beastie Boy

Beastie Boy IncGamers Member

I have been spamming the www.arena.net site anywhere i can, esp. on public bathroom walls. I for one cant wait for it to come out.

4. Jugalator

Jugalator IncGamers Member

Both that and the unannounced game by Flagship Studios (www.flagshipstudios.com) looks interesting. FS is almost entirely composed of Blizzard guys it seems. Among others, the key guys that made Diablo 1 and Diablo 2 and the D2 Patch 1.10 developers. :)

I think many former Battle.net guys are involved in Arena.net, and they seem to plan on making also Guild Wars free from fees.

5. Ryshenron

Ryshenron IncGamers Member

me and a bunch of freinds on another forum are already makign plans to make our own massive clan for this game when it comes out..at which point my d2 playing will suffer greatly

6. DrSeuss

DrSeuss IncGamers Member

For me it's going to be all about the gameplay and style of play.

I like Diablo for it's detached style of play. I like most MMORPGs for the first-person style, and the size of the world. And also for the general rpg aspect, rather than just dueling aspect (a la Doom).

But if it winds up being some kind of RTS game, or something where PvP is the main aspect of it, I'm going to pass, big-time.

7. Beastie Boy

Suess, Look aty the game name, yes there will be individual, and team quest, but part of the fun of the game will be massive assive guild wars. not just 4 vs. 4 like d2.

8. Ash Housewares

Ash Housewares IncGamers Member

look at my postcount, look how much time I spend on the computer! I should be testing it! wheres Gaile?

9. Beastie Boy

LOL thats funny ash

10. Cambylobacter

Cambylobacter IncGamers Member

Well Guildwars looks stunning, though I would like to see those amazing graphics in a video to see how it runs. Can't believe a standard spec machine could run smoothly such amazing graphics.

As for competing with d2, I've always felt d2 is about pixel-crack and not very much about co-operative play at all (naturally their are exceptions, it's a generalisation). If Guildwars does truly focus on community, cooperation and skill (as opposed to hours played>skill) then it will be stunning.

I still can't get over the screenshots.

11. Ash Housewares

the only problem I see is that it focuses on community, but being a free service, its going to attract the same kind of audience as exists for diablo and other blizzard games

12. whathappen

whathappen IncGamers Member

Any clue when this one is coming out?

13. maccool

maccool IncGamers Member

late summer 2004. Of course, they're still alpha testing.

14. Rigel Kent

Rigel Kent IncGamers Member

I was crossing my fingers, hoping World of Warcraft would soak up enough of the Diablo undesirables that I could jump on board a competitor without worry.

Then some WoW fan had to post that darned kalidar.mp3 link. I'm a sucker for pretty music, even if it's attached to a game I know I shouldn't play. :sigh:

15. Gaile

Gaile ArenaNet Community Relations Manager

First of all, yeah, I'm involved in alpha testing. Actually, I'm the test coordinator. :D

Consider a game without hacks and cheats; without dupes; without character resets and miserable PK experiences. Pause to think what it would mean to have a game that promised guild support and brought it. Consider a game company possessing the technology and the dedication to find loopholes and quickly close them, to remove exploits by updating in hours, not months.

We create up to 10 game builds a day. And every one of our alpha testers is playing the updated game as it goes live, right alongside the development team. When you come into the game, you're given the new content behind the scenes in a seamless download, when and where you need it. Not a mondo-patch that replaces everything (including what you don't need) but just "two from column A and one from column B" based on what you already have on your system. What can I say? It's stunning technology.

And... it's stunning art. Dear lord, I can't tell you how many people have asked about the art! Yes, these are real, unretouched, unaltered in-game screenshots. The game looks like this, and it plays just fine on a PIII 800 with a GeForce 3. On dial-up. From Australia. :)

Gameplay ranges from single player to team PvP to cooperative questing. It's great fun! With instanced missions, you don't have to worry about those MMORPG drawbacks that include spawn camping, loot pilfering and endless traveling.

And yes, there will be no monthly fee. If you think it cannot be done, remember when it was said that nobody could create a free gaming network. Then think about Battle.net. And then keep in mind that the guy who invented Battle.net works for ArenaNet now. :D

16. Ash Housewares

so why haven't you coordinated me into a test?

17. Beastie Boy

Gaile,
    Thanks for posting on this thread about GW. I am so excited about this game, I have been checking out arena net for months now looking at all the cool pics. Have they folks over there came up with a time frame for the beta testing? I know they say the release date is second half of 2004, i just cant wait to get my hands on it :)

18. Gaile

*searches ArenaNet mailbox* Hmmm... have I heard of your interest, or was I supposed to pick that up through osmosis? :) And no, I don't mean sending a private message here. I draw a line between my professional and my volunteer work, and 'twouldn't be appropriate to use this system for business purposes.

Just know this: I love this community. I've spent six years with this community. And you can be darn sure that good and trusted members of this community would be given every due consideration as testers for Guild Wars.

Count on it. ;)

19. Lord Chaos

Lord Chaos IncGamers Member

Weee, great more "guild wars"...people just want massive mayhem and groups...there are plenty of this kind free on the net, ranging from Utopia to Planetarion...really don't need another.

20. Gaile

The titles you mention are hardly First Class titles, now, are they? I rather suspect you don't know anything about the gameplay and the strategy of Guild Wars, and are just being silly. Because I've never known a true gamer yet who would say, "They should stop making good games because there are already enough." Don't we all want to see more first-rate titles and more chances to have a great gaming experience?

Guild Wars isn't all "massive mayhem and groups." I don't know where you formed that inaccurate judgment -- is it the name? I challenge you to go here and learn a bit about the game. It requires real strategy and excellent skills to do well at it. It features streaming technology so you never have a huge patch to download and so that exploits can be corrected promptly. It features instanced quests so that you don't find yourself standing in line to kill a monster. And like a Magic: The Gathering game, you may have a hundred skills, but you have a limited number you can take into battle, meaning that teamwork and strategy are very important. It may not be your cup of tea, but don't dismiss it based on not knowing what you're talking about. ;)